Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 1, '12, 5:58 pm
Banned

Religion: Agnostic
Default Re: Pope reaffirms ban on women priests

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmerger View Post
Then that's very Christian of you, Angry.
Hey...

No need to be insulting
Old May 1, '12, 6:00 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantum ergo View Post
The Church is not simply a secular institution.

As a Catholic, I believe that the Church was instituted and given authority by God Himself.

I do NOT believe, as you apparently do, that the Church is simply a 'made by men' group with 'made by men' rules.

You're right in the sense that no purely 'secular' group would be an equal comparison.

:
You are right about one thing.
I do acknewledge the Catholic Church as a man-made institution.
Old May 1, '12, 6:04 pm
Banned

Quote:
But say, AA. You know, Catholics are NOT the only people who believe that their Church was founded by God and who believe that the role of the priest or leader is, as given by God, for men only.

There is: The Orthodox Church.

There is: Orthodox Judaism (which of course came from classical Judaism and retains its teachings on male-only priesthood.

There are: 'The Muslims.
The Amish.
Many fundamental, AKA "Bible believing churches'.

Historically speaking until the very recent times (within the last 40 years or so) we would have seen virtually all Protestant and Jewish groups as well.

Slavery has been an accepted part of human societies for about as long.
Does that give the institution of slavery moral weight?
Old May 1, '12, 6:09 pm
Banned

Quote:
What makes you think that those in Heaven are separate from those on Earth?

And yes, you do not seem to understand what a hierarchy is.

Priests are servants.

Our hierarchy is more like a lower-archy.

The more one rises in responsibility--from priest to bishop to cardinal to Pope --the more of a servant, and a servant to more and more--that one is.
LOL

You make me laugh Ergo.

You truly do.

Lets add an actual definition to your subjective analysis:

Hierarchy:
1. any system of persons or things ranked one above another.

2. government by ecclesiastical rulers.

3. the power or dominion of a hierarch.

4. an organized body of ecclesiastical officials in successive ranks or orders: the Roman Catholic hierarchy.

5. one of the three divisions of the angels, each made up of three orders, conceived as constituting a graded body.

Source:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hierarchy
Old May 1, '12, 6:17 pm
Banned

Quote:
You know, you've misjudged this more than once.

The Church does not go around defining anything.

The Church goes around proclaiming what GOD has taught and is teaching now.

None of what the Church says is based on the Church reaching out and saying, "Hey, we have DECIDED that X is wrong."

All of what the Church says (regarding right and wrong, ie. faith and morals) is what God has said.

Power? What power?

The Church has been patiently REMINDING people of what GOD HAS SAID for 2000 years. But every individual who hears has the POWER to accept or deny that teaching of God.

Some times enough individuals listen, and follow what God says. Then YOU say, "The Church is out for power and wants people to do what IT says." (I repeat, the Church ONLY says what GOD has already said. It doesn't make up things on its own.)

And some times enough individuals refuse to listen and follow what God says. Then YOU say, "See, the Church is losing people and power because it is trying to force people to do what it says."

(This way, no matter what, you have judged it's always the Church and power struggle. But it's not. It is the Church teaching what GOD has said, and whether people listen or not.)
And who decides just what God has said?

Why its high ranking members of the Catholic Church (basically the Pope and the other Bishops)

Its really that simple
Old May 1, '12, 8:46 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryAtheist8 View Post

Why its high ranking members of the Catholic Church (basically the Pope and the other Bishops)

Its really that simple
Let's just examine this concept you're proposing for a minute.

You're claiming that the Catholic Church just makes up the rules as it sees fit.

Like a 5 year old deciding to make his own rules. He can eat all the candy he wants. He can go to bed when he wants. He doesn't have to pick up any of his toys. Those are the rules that a 5 year old would make, if he were king of the world.

Imagine a 5 year old making up rules like: you can't eat everything you want. You can't go to bed whenever you want. You can't do everything you want.

No 5 year old would ever make those kinds of self-imposed limitations, would he?

Similarly, if it's as you truly are positing, and the Church is just making it up, why would she proclaim disciplines like a celibate clergy? Or doctrines like divorce and re-marriage is adultery?

Don't you think a Church that's just making it up as she goes along would be, well, a bit more self-indulgent? If we're going to follow your logic, the Church ought to be proclaiming things like, "The pope and bishops can have as much sex, and with anyone they like!" and "The laity can do that as well!"

Now, please don't get all "I can't believe you're comparing the Church to a 5 year old" on me and demonstrate your inability to understand how things can be alike as analogs only, 'kay?

25 Random Things About Me

Visit my blog: 3 Minute Apologetics
Old May 1, '12, 8:52 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
I have.
For that matter I have defended Christians on this forum
Quote:
Then that's very Christian of you, Angry.
Quote:
Hey...

No need to be insulting
I guess I'd rather be insulting than propose a lie, like "Defending victims is part of the atheistic ethos."

Bottom line: if you have defended Christians it's only because the Christian gospel has been spread to you. If you followed the pagan world view you would have left the perceived weaklings out in the cold to die.

25 Random Things About Me

Visit my blog: 3 Minute Apologetics
Old May 1, '12, 10:39 pm

Quote:
A snide remark. The Church , as a human society, has institutions comparable to a nation.
Old May 1, '12, 10:57 pm

Send a message via Yahoo to Irishgal49

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKY RASPER View Post
While there is a large body of scripture and tradition that points to the will of God being opposed to the ordination of women priests. The opposite is true when it comes to women deacons. The early church was full of such women. At what point was this expression of godly work taken from them?
When power and money became involved.
Old May 1, '12, 11:01 pm

Send a message via Yahoo to Irishgal49

Quote:

Its really that simple
I want to say that you put together the most convincing, logical, and articulate arguments and I'm totally impressed. I go back and forth from atheist to Catholic and back. It's a real struggle for me but many of my atheist friends were great people, but often just yelling and insulting. You really put out some questions that really leave little room for argument, sadly they are lost in here....wherever I end up, I appreciate it when someone is intelligent and presents their ideas in a mature manner, I am learning a lot reading these posts from both sides. You won on several key points. "The end justifying the means" is probably the most convincing.
Old May 2, '12, 6:35 am
Banned

Quote:

You're claiming that the Catholic Church just makes up the rules as it sees fit.

Like a 5 year old deciding to make his own rules. He can eat all the candy he wants. He can go to bed when he wants. He doesn't have to pick up any of his toys. Those are the rules that a 5 year old would make, if he were king of the world.

Imagine a 5 year old making up rules like: you can't eat everything you want. You can't go to bed whenever you want. You can't do everything you want.

No 5 year old would ever make those kinds of self-imposed limitations, would he?

Similarly, if it's as you truly are positing, and the Church is just making it up, why would she proclaim disciplines like a celibate clergy? Or doctrines like divorce and re-marriage is adultery?

Don't you think a Church that's just making it up as she goes along would be, well, a bit more self-indulgent? If we're going to follow your logic, the Church ought to be proclaiming things like, "The pope and bishops can have as much sex, and with anyone they like!" and "The laity can do that as well!"

Now, please don't get all "I can't believe you're comparing the Church to a 5 year old" on me and demonstrate your inability to understand how things can be alike as analogs only, 'kay?
Yes, and I make the same assumption about the Church of England, or for that matter, the state religion in Saudi Arabia. Moreover I am guessing that you do too.

Why treat the Catholic Church any differently?
No good reason that I can see.
Old May 2, '12, 6:39 am
Banned

Quote:

Not necessarily.
Remember that the Soviets (who were definitely not relying on any sort of divine guidance or plan to rule) made some very harsh laws to govern themselves.
Old May 2, '12, 6:41 am
Banned

Quote:
I guess I'd rather be insulting than propose a lie, like "Defending victims is part of the atheistic ethos."

Bottom line: if you have defended Christians it's only because the Christian gospel has been spread to you. If you followed the pagan world view you would have left the perceived weaklings out in the cold to die.
You're not accounting for the individuality factor.
Not all pagans were monsters (or even unkind) and its obvious that not all Christians are nice (or even good).
Old May 2, '12, 6:46 am
Banned

Originally Posted by AngryAtheist8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyS View Post
A snide remark. The Church , as a human society, has institutions comparable to a nation.
Ergo and I were talking about patriarchy, specifically the long traditional of excluding women from positions of leadership and prestige in Western religions. And I was pointing out that slavery has a pedigree that's almost as good.

What are you talking about?
Old May 2, '12, 8:18 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic Christian

Quote:
Of course the Church does.
The Church writes the official Catholic Moral Law.

The Popes and the Bishops don't have anything like a Constitution to limit and define their powers.
Bishops don't define moral law. The Pope can sit down and formally declare something but the Bishops cannot.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News