Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old May 1, '12, 4:59 pm
MugenOne MugenOne is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: January 26, 2005
Posts: 2,357
Religion: Catholic
Default America's obesity problem equals a billion gallons of gas per year

The Atlantic reports that the amount of fuel we're using is on the rise as well, as heavy occupants need more fuel to get from Point A to *insert drive-thru joke here*. A 2006 study shows that Americans weigh so much more than they did in 1960 that we're using up an additional billion gallons of petrol every year.

That's about $4 billion a year at today's gas prices, and nearly one percent of overall fuel usage. And that was back in 2006 as we continue to plump up, the dollars continue to pile up. Inside Line reports that each pound we gain as a population adds up to another $39 million. It's too bad we can't get stop/start tech for our appetites.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...omy-demon.html

This study is BS. The 2012 Toyota Camry weighs about 3190 lbs. The 1988 Toyota Camry weighed about 2690 lbs.

Even if you're 200 lbs. overweight, that's only 6% of the total weight of the car.

But obesity is the problem, right?
__________________
What we do in life echoes in eternity- Maximus Decimus Meridius

The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old May 2, '12, 2:58 am
Scott_Lafrance's Avatar
Scott_Lafrance Scott_Lafrance is offline
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: August 23, 2004
Posts: 19,792
Religion: Catholic In Faith Only
Send a message via AIM to Scott_Lafrance
Default Re: America's obesity problem equals a billion gallons of gas per year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugenOne View Post
The Atlantic reports that the amount of fuel we're using is on the rise as well, as heavy occupants need more fuel to get from Point A to *insert drive-thru joke here*. A 2006 study shows that Americans weigh so much more than they did in 1960 that we're using up an additional billion gallons of petrol every year.

That's about $4 billion a year at today's gas prices, and nearly one percent of overall fuel usage. And that was back in 2006 as we continue to plump up, the dollars continue to pile up. Inside Line reports that each pound we gain as a population adds up to another $39 million. It's too bad we can't get stop/start tech for our appetites.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...omy-demon.html

This study is BS. The 2012 Toyota Camry weighs about 3190 lbs. The 1988 Toyota Camry weighed about 2690 lbs.

Even if you're 200 lbs. overweight, that's only 6% of the total weight of the car.

But obesity is the problem, right?
Actually, the CAFE standards are the problem. The government has put car companies in an impossible situation. They are requiring ever increasing safety standards while at the same time requiring ever increasing fuel efficiency. You can't have both. Heavier cars are safer, but less fuel efficient. Lighter cars are more fuel efficient, but less safe.
__________________
Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world.

- Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old May 3, '12, 7:10 am
didymus's Avatar
didymus didymus is online now
Senior Member
Radio Club Member
 
Join Date: April 5, 2005
Posts: 7,857
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: America's obesity problem equals a billion gallons of gas per year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugenOne View Post
This study is BS. The 2012 Toyota Camry weighs about 3190 lbs. The 1988 Toyota Camry weighed about 2690 lbs.

Even if you're 200 lbs. overweight, that's only 6% of the total weight of the car.

But obesity is the problem, right?
Well, yeah. But study isn't BS just because you choose not to believe it.
Certainly a 6% increase in payload causes some increased fuel consumption, though I don't know how they arrived at the billions of gallons figure.

More important is that many people choose gas guzzlers even though they are single, I'm sure that wastes more gallons than obesity. There's a lady where I work (quite svelte) who got a Navigator just because she could get out of her driveway w/o shoveling.

It's not just cars, either.
A driver told me that since he started buses have gotten 18" wider to accommodate bigger butts. Even at that, many riders occupy two seats causing the rest of us standing.
__________________



Help persecuted Christians in the Near East
Catholic Near East Welfare Association
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old May 3, '12, 7:12 am
Scott_Lafrance's Avatar
Scott_Lafrance Scott_Lafrance is offline
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: August 23, 2004
Posts: 19,792
Religion: Catholic In Faith Only
Send a message via AIM to Scott_Lafrance
Default Re: America's obesity problem equals a billion gallons of gas per year

So, the gist of the story is that fat people consume more resources?
__________________
Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world.

- Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old May 3, '12, 7:24 am
SamH SamH is offline
 
Join Date: June 10, 2009
Posts: 16,829
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: America's obesity problem equals a billion gallons of gas per year

Quote:
Originally Posted by didymus View Post
A driver told me that since he started buses have gotten 18" wider to accommodate bigger butts. Even at that, many riders occupy two seats causing the rest of us standing.

Yet most of the commuter buses I see are still 80% empty.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old May 3, '12, 7:27 am
scipio337 scipio337 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: July 22, 2008
Posts: 6,318
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: America's obesity problem equals a billion gallons of gas per year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Lafrance View Post
So, the gist of the story is that fat people consume more resources?
Not to mention, think how much every unwanted person born adds to the human biomass!

I personally know people who say "I do not want to have children because I don't want to contribute to the anthroprogenic global warming/population crises"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old May 3, '12, 8:25 am
Scott_Lafrance's Avatar
Scott_Lafrance Scott_Lafrance is offline
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: August 23, 2004
Posts: 19,792
Religion: Catholic In Faith Only
Send a message via AIM to Scott_Lafrance
Default Re: America's obesity problem equals a billion gallons of gas per year

Quote:
Originally Posted by scipio337 View Post
Not to mention, think how much every unwanted person born adds to the human biomass!

I personally know people who say "I do not want to have children because I don't want to contribute to the anthroprogenic global warming/population crises"
Maybe they should join VHEMT.

http://www.vhemt.org/
__________________
Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world.

- Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old May 3, '12, 8:35 am
tomarin's Avatar
tomarin tomarin is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 25, 2007
Posts: 4,581
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: America's obesity problem equals a billion gallons of gas per year

I don't want to sound like a utopianist, but if only more people would bike ...?
__________________
If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, let my right hand wither, let my tongue cleave to my palate if I do not remember you -- Psalm 137
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old May 3, '12, 8:39 am
Cristiano Cristiano is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 6, 2006
Posts: 7,036
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: America's obesity problem equals a billion gallons of gas per year

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomarin View Post
I don't want to sound like a utopianist, but if only more people would bike ...?
Yes on the Pulasky Skyway!
__________________
"Domine, ad quem ibimus? Verba vitae aeternae habes. Et nos credimus, et cognovimus, quia tu es Christus Filius Dei."
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old May 3, '12, 8:58 am
scipio337 scipio337 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: July 22, 2008
Posts: 6,318
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: America's obesity problem equals a billion gallons of gas per year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Lafrance View Post
Maybe they should join VHEMT.

http://www.vhemt.org/
Quote:
As VHEMT Volunteers know, the hopeful alternative to the extinction of millions of species of plants and animals is the voluntary extinction of one species: Homo sapiens... us.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old May 3, '12, 8:59 am
tomarin's Avatar
tomarin tomarin is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 25, 2007
Posts: 4,581
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: America's obesity problem equals a billion gallons of gas per year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
Yes on the Pulasky Skyway!
Hey I've biked over the George Washington Bridge. Got really bad vertigo, too.
__________________
If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, let my right hand wither, let my tongue cleave to my palate if I do not remember you -- Psalm 137
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old May 3, '12, 9:00 am
Scott_Lafrance's Avatar
Scott_Lafrance Scott_Lafrance is offline
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: August 23, 2004
Posts: 19,792
Religion: Catholic In Faith Only
Send a message via AIM to Scott_Lafrance
Default Re: America's obesity problem equals a billion gallons of gas per year

Quote:
Originally Posted by scipio337 View Post
Yes. The ultimate solution for global warming, pollution, exploitation of Mother Earth is the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement.
__________________
Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world.

- Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old May 3, '12, 1:27 pm
Trader Trader is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 28, 2007
Posts: 2,297
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: America's obesity problem equals a billion gallons of gas per year

12 posts in this thread and no one has suggested higher taxes yet? Are all the statists attending an Obama rally somewhere?

There are several ways to fix this. In order to buy gas you should have to scan your Obamacare ID card which contains your BMI. Fat people get hit with a 10% additional tax. This could also work at grocery stores and restaurants.

Or, just like truckstops have scales, add a scale to every gas station. Since heavier vehicles also cause more damage to roads, it makes sense to tax vehicles according to their weight. It would also be a stimulus for scale manufacturers, although we would also have windfall profit tax on them.

This fits very well with the motto, "If it moves, tax it." When you stop moving permanently, we will have the death tax.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old May 3, '12, 1:37 pm
Cristiano Cristiano is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 6, 2006
Posts: 7,036
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: America's obesity problem equals a billion gallons of gas per year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader View Post
12 posts in this thread and no one has suggested higher taxes yet? Are all the statists attending an Obama rally somewhere?

There are several ways to fix this. In order to buy gas you should have to scan your Obamacare ID card which contains your BMI. Fat people get hit with a 10% additional tax. This could also work at grocery stores and restaurants.

Or, just like truckstops have scales, add a scale to every gas station. Since heavier vehicles also cause more damage to roads, it makes sense to tax vehicles according to their weight. It would also be a stimulus for scale manufacturers, although we would also have windfall profit tax on them.

This fits very well with the motto, "If it moves, tax it." When you stop moving permanently, we will have the death tax.


Get rid of that fat you bunch of lazy gluttons!

Oops, does that includes me because I overly chubby?

Please do not tax my chocolate!

Maybe we can discuss that over a slice of .
__________________
"Domine, ad quem ibimus? Verba vitae aeternae habes. Et nos credimus, et cognovimus, quia tu es Christus Filius Dei."
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old May 3, '12, 2:05 pm
manualman manualman is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: December 17, 2004
Posts: 11,340
Religion: Catholic - no buts.
Default Re: America's obesity problem equals a billion gallons of gas per year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Lafrance View Post
Actually, the CAFE standards are the problem. The government has put car companies in an impossible situation. They are requiring ever increasing safety standards while at the same time requiring ever increasing fuel efficiency. You can't have both. Heavier cars are safer, but less fuel efficient. Lighter cars are more fuel efficient, but less safe.
They've achieved the impossible then. My 1995 Saturn SL stick shift was an mpg class leader of its day. Seating for 5 (snug, but doable), roomy enough for commuter use (I'm 6'2"), and 40mpg highway rating that I'm STILL getting after 17 years and almost 150,000 miles. It would be rated 36mpg in today's EPA rating system.

A 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco (NOT a hybrid) weighs hundred of pounds more, has umpteen airbags, side impact bars, ABS, stability control, meets current CARB emissions, is roomier, is rather faster and more powerful, is MUCH quieter and more refined... and its current EPA rating is 42mpg highway (and people are GETTING that, unlike some fishy ratings out there).

Granted, they had to invent new tire tech, better aerodynamics, high tech turbocharging and engine fuel management and 6 manual gears instead of my 5. But they in fact HAVE done the impossible. They made it bigger, faster, safer, more comfortable, quieter AND more efficient. Nice work, GM. (They should give me a discount for this! ) Not cheaper though. You really can't have it all. It's stinks to pay $19k for a new compact car.....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8257Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: GLam8833
5018CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4345Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: lsbar
4029OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: B79
3834SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3569Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3230Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
3203Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: memphian
3128Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
3048For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: tammany



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:00 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.