Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 1, '12, 4:43 am
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic
Default Is my basic understanding of God's love and Mercy Correct?

Hello Catholic Answer's readers,

I would like ask, whether is my basic understanding of God's love and mercy correct?

If there is any error to my understanding, do correct me.

Basic understanding of Godís love and mercy

God will always love us and his love for us is extremely intense and immeasurable, that it is impossible for us to comprehend Godís great love for us. No one is excluded from Godís love, including the greatest Sinner. Even while we continue to offend God with both our failures and whatever sins they are, God continues to love us and his love does not diminish.

God loves us individually and he knows us even better than ourselves. He knows our desires, our plans and our deepest and darkest secrets. There is nothing that we can hide from God.

Even people who do not love or believe in God, God still will always love them and his love for them does not diminish, not even a little.

Godís mercy is infinite but we have to ask in order to receive his mercy and God is always eager to forgive us because of the very fact that God loves us. Even though, God is always eager to forgive us, it does not mean that we have received his forgiveness because of our free will. We have to be repentance and ask God for his forgiveness, only then we will receive Godís forgiveness. There is no sin too evil and no failures so bad that it cannot be forgiven and no amount of repeated sin and failures is ever too many for God to forgive.

It is a great relieve to know that God is always ready to forgive us, but it is also important that we must not take advantage of Godís forgiveness as God knows when we are sincere and when we are not.

When we receive Godís forgiveness, we also receive inward spiritual healing from God and our bond with God is restore again. God is not only eager to forgive us but God desires to go much deeper to the root of our issues, to help us understand the reason why we keep on falling to sins and failures but it is up to us to choose, whether do we want to change our lifestyle because of our free will.

People get eternally separated for God, is because of their decisions not God. Godís desire is that all of us would be with him in heaven as we are very extremely precious to God, every single one of us.

It is also important that we must forgive one another. As if we do not forgive one another, God cannot forgive us, not because God is not eager to forgive us but it is ourselves who have block Godís forgiveness. God does not forgive us because we forgive one another but solely because of his great love and mercy for us. Again it is our fee will that decides our own fate.

True love, is not to force someone to do something against his or her will but it is to let the person decide his or her choices, that is why God give us the free will to let us choose whether to love him or not.

The good news is, even when we have make multiple of mistake and failures and regardless how serious they may be, God is always ready to forgive us.

Thank you and God Bless
Old May 1, '12, 7:12 am
Forum Elder

Default Re: Is my basic understanding of God's love and Mercy Correct?

Welcome to CAF!

That's not bad. I don't see anything theologically heretical in what you have said.

If it were me, I would say that we have but to accept God's freely offered gift of mercy rather than that we have to ask for it. I don't think what you said is incorrect, but I think the word "ask" places the emphasis on what we do whereas "accept" places the emphasis on what God does.

Also we cannot talk about God's mercy and forgiveness without bringing the Sacrament of Reconciliation into the equation.

I would encourage reading John Paul II's excellent document Reconciliation and Penance for some great insight into God's mercy and forgiveness. Wise, holy people have been reflecting on God's mercy for millenia, so there's lots of wonderful insights to be gained from reading the greats.
Old May 1, '12, 7:49 am
Banned
Forum Supporter

Religion: catholic
Send a message via AIM to AlanFromWichita

God's mercy is always available, like a spiritual 24/7 grace vending machine. If you are of the correct disposition of the heart, it vends. God does not delay mercy to the repentant.

Alan
Old May 2, '12, 5:51 am
Trial Membership

Hello,

Thanks for the warm Welcome!! Joe and for the hyperlink on Reconciliation and Penance.

And Thank you all for replying my question, I really do appreciate it !

I am really relieve and glad to know that what i have written is correct and it is not against our catholic teaching.

The reason why i ask this question, is because sometimes i just find it hard to accept and believe, the extremely immeasurable and intense love, mercy and forgiveness that God has for us, that we can never comprehend.

I post this write up on Catholic Answer's Forum is to check whether what i understand is not what i want it to be, but it is the truth itself. Basically, I do not want to lie to myself on God's love, mercy and forgiveness.

Thanks all for your replies
God Bless

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality