Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 2, '12, 6:01 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Fearing to Join the Catholic Church

i converted to catholicism about 4 years ago. i grew up in a family of lapsed catholics and protestants, and non believers. i felt a tug to be close to God at an early age. i was raised in the episcopal church. i felt the Catholic church was the right church, but i went away to college and literally questioned christianity and stayed away from church for close to 25 years.
i began doing a lot of studying and had a lot of apprehensions also about joining the Catholic church. mainly because the priest sex abuse scandal had broken out in the media around the time i was discerning whether to become Catholic.
i wish i could say there is a happy ending. i think my honeymoon period is over and now i am wondering if i really want to remain Catholic. there are a lot of things i love about the Catholic church and some things i don't like. my biggest disappointment are the number of Catholics who don't want to conform to the teachings of the Catholic church and don't vote according to their faith. there are some other observations i have made that i don't want to go into on a public forum, that concern me also. so at this point i am contemplating whether i want to remain in the Catholic church or if i even want to remain a committed Christian at this point. my faith has been challenged for many years, and i just don't know if i believe anymore. i am tired of being disappointed, let down and feeling abandoned by faith in general.
DO NOT BE OVERCOME BY EVIL, BUT OVERCOME EVIL WITH GOOD. ~~~ Romans 12:21
Old May 2, '12, 10:20 am
Trial Membership

Religion: Discerning Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo96 View Post
Don't push so fast, he's just trying to find people who've been through the same things he is
Btw, I'm a girl.... lol
Old May 2, '12, 10:23 am
Trial Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Sorrows View Post
i converted to catholicism about 4 years ago. i grew up in a family of lapsed catholics and protestants, and non believers. i felt a tug to be close to God at an early age. i was raised in the episcopal church. i felt the Catholic church was the right church, but i went away to college and literally questioned christianity and stayed away from church for close to 25 years.
i began doing a lot of studying and had a lot of apprehensions also about joining the Catholic church. mainly because the priest sex abuse scandal had broken out in the media around the time i was discerning whether to become Catholic.
i wish i could say there is a happy ending. i think my honeymoon period is over and now i am wondering if i really want to remain Catholic. there are a lot of things i love about the Catholic church and some things i don't like. my biggest disappointment are the number of Catholics who don't want to conform to the teachings of the Catholic church and don't vote according to their faith. there are some other observations i have made that i don't want to go into on a public forum, that concern me also. so at this point i am contemplating whether i want to remain in the Catholic church or if i even want to remain a committed Christian at this point. my faith has been challenged for many years, and i just don't know if i believe anymore. i am tired of being disappointed, let down and feeling abandoned by faith in general.
I'll pray for you, friend
Old May 2, '12, 10:26 am
Trial Membership

Thank you for the advice, everyone. I will be certain to post questions when I have them. I've been doing quite a bit of research, and I think what's left is to just put it all before God and see where He takes me with it. If I become Catholic, it'll be tough to tell my friends (my dad and his wife are Catholic, and my Mom doesn't care, so my family is fine), but if this is where God wants me to be, I'll have to deal with that when it comes...
Old May 2, '12, 2:13 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryBe23 View Post
Thank you for the advice, everyone. I will be certain to post questions when I have them. I've been doing quite a bit of research, and I think what's left is to just put it all before God and see where He takes me with it. If I become Catholic, it'll be tough to tell my friends (my dad and his wife are Catholic, and my Mom doesn't care, so my family is fine), but if this is where God wants me to be, I'll have to deal with that when it comes...
I think this is a good plan. I do pray that if you decide to go ahead with this that your friends are understanding and supportive. I can imagine it's got to be hard to worry about what they'll think or how they'll act.

I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing.
Old May 2, '12, 7:07 pm

Religion: Protestant

GloryBe -

Thanks for this thread...I am very much in the same boat as you...all the studying and reading I've done points to the Catholic Church....but I can barely get it out of my mouth when I try to even say it....this thread has gotten some very good responses...and they help reassure me at this very nerve-wracking time .

I am lucky enough to have gained a 'mentor', so to speak, from this site....and it has been a great encouragement to me. It does wonders just to be able to ask questions and just share things that are on your mind. My mentor is a newly converted Catholic that has recently gone through the very same things that are troubling me....it has a very calming effect on me. So maybe if you get to the point that you want to talk with somebody....try reaching out for somebody to come along your side and encourage you...it is a blessing for me.
Old May 2, '12, 7:38 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryBe23 View Post
You never know how it will turn out. For me it was the opposite. My friends were the ones who I figured would not care (I was right, most are non practicing Christians/Catholics anyway) I thought my immediate family (who are all protestant) might give me a hard time when I told them that I am going to convert. Turns out every one of them said that they respect my decision and have not bothered me about it at all. Although my Mom, did say she thinks some Catholics worship Mary. But I knew she thought that anyway. Even the relative that I though would give me the most trouble.... all he did was ask me what a Catholic church service was like. Another told me she thought that was great! Maybe it wont be as bad as you might forsee it. Turned out like that for me. I did not tell anybody dramaticly, just casually. Maybe that is a good way to go.
Old May 2, '12, 8:06 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Finally Home 3/30/2013

Im in the process of inquiry myself. Have you been to a Mass yet. The first time i attended a Mass i knew i finally came home. Now I go anytime im off work i cant get enough of it. I find it a true blessing that there is at least a communion service every day of the week. I truly cant wait to begin my RCIA. Ask plenty of questions the people here are great.
Old May 2, '12, 8:08 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Cradle Catholic -- Enduring to the End!!!

Even though I'm not a convert myself, I'd like to suggest a book that has helped me to understand my faith more. Most Catholics, especially converts or those investigating with know what book I'm going to suggest to you, and who it is. Scott Hahn and his wife Kimberly went through alot of your same questions. Many of his books in particular are really good ones to read. But the first one I'd suggest is . . . drum roll please . . . ROME SWEET HOME!!! Another of his books I'd highly recommend that helped me to understand scripture better is . . . another drum roll please . . . A FATHER WHO KEEPS HIS PROMISES. Eather of these books would be really good places to start.

Also, I'd also highly suggest you watch The Journey Home on EWTN.

God Bless You on your journey.

"Jezu Ufam Tobie" -- English Translation from Polish: "Jesus, I Trust In You!!!"
[/size]
Old May 2, '12, 8:11 pm

Religion: Catholic Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomc1980 View Post
Im in the process of inquiry myself. Have you been to a Mass yet. The first time i attended a Mass i knew i finally came home. Now I go anytime im off work i cant get enough of it. I find it a true blessing that there is at least a communion service every day of the week. I truly cant wait to begin my RCIA. Ask plenty of questions the people here are great.
That's wonderful Thomc. Be sure to go to Adoration. The peace of being in the presence of the Lord is difficult to explain.
Old May 2, '12, 8:55 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I am a newly converted Catholic. We went to a small church which worked well for us. There were 4 people in RCIA, taught by a religious sister. Catholic churches do vary considerably in atmosphere. The larger churches are more formal and elaborate about everything. The smaller churches are more lax. Some churches are snooty, others treat mass like a rock concert.

The best thing I like about being Catholic is the open-ended commitment. The only requirement is to attend the one-hour mass once a week (plus a few religious holidays). I haven't been pressured to give more money or attend more, as protestant churches often do. I've given $2 to $5 a week (I'm a new college graduate supporting a family), and nobody has ever said anything.
Old May 2, '12, 8:59 pm
Forum Supporter

Probably a silly question but when would one go to an Adoration. It sounds beautiful. But as yet ive not been to one.
Old May 3, '12, 1:20 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Katoliko

Quote:
Probably a silly question but when would one go to an Adoration. It sounds beautiful. But as yet ive not been to one.
Ask the parish nearest you about availability. There are parishes with adoration of the Blessed Sacrament 24/7. There are some with limited time.

One should go as often as one likes. It's the quiet quality time between you and Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament.

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatoris.

Fratres, orare pro me peccatore.
Old May 3, '12, 5:44 am

Religion: Catholic Convert

Quote:
I just did a bing search for you. I'm sure others in your area do as well. St Jude has an adoration chapel which is open all day Mon - Fri. Here is a link to their page regarding Adoration.

http://stjudechattanooga.org/prayer/...ore/index.html

I went for the 1st time and it was one of the most spiritually moving experiences I've ever had. 2 night later I spoke to my priest about joining the church.
Old May 3, '12, 9:39 am
Forum Supporter

Thank you for looking for me and the speedy answers. Ive been meaning to take a look at St. Jude's. I will have to go and see.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence