Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 1, '12, 4:58 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default How to raise a Catholic child

I am a recent convert. In fact after two years of RCIA (started 1/3 of the way through the first session) I was finally able to join the church and receive the Eucharist this Easter Vigil. Prior to finding the Church I had gone to many liberal protestant churches. At any rate, my 8 and 9 year old miss the old church because it was more fun and had more activities for the kids. How as a Catholic parent can I foster a interest in the Church? Books? Any suggestions you have would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old May 1, '12, 5:07 pm

Default Re: How to raise a Catholic child

grr just saw the other post sorry for the repeat.
Old May 1, '12, 5:25 pm

Just teach your children about the Truth. Talk to them about heaven and hell and how Christ's church is our pathway to salvation. Teach your children about mortal sin and the consequences of sin and how we have powerful allies in the sacrament of Reconciliation, the Eucharist and the Holy Rosary to prepare us for battle against the evil one.
Old May 1, '12, 5:45 pm

MidnightSun12, I respectfully disagree. Going the eternal hell/heaven route is, I think, not the best way to propagate love for the Church in 8 and 9 year old children. Many parishes offer outstanding child activities during mass designed for this purpose. I recommend taking a look around if possible. Also, there are LOTS of great books, websites, and apps out there. But ultimately, it will be the parents' visible love, devotion, and enthusiasm for the Church which will most effectively create and foster genuine love of the Church. Good luck, pray, and keep trying!!!
Old May 1, '12, 6:45 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshepeck View Post
MidnightSun12, I respectfully disagree. Going the eternal hell/heaven route is, I think, not the best way to propagate love for the Church in 8 and 9 year old children. Many parishes offer outstanding child activities during mass designed for this purpose. I recommend taking a look around if possible. Also, there are LOTS of great books, websites, and apps out there. But ultimately, it will be the parents' visible love, devotion, and enthusiasm for the Church which will most effectively create and foster genuine love of the Church. Good luck, pray, and keep trying!!!
I agree with you completely. While it is true that the Church is the one True Religion that opens the gate through a very narrow path, I think that is a conclusion for the child to get to rather than the incentive to move forward.

For the one posting, I would suggest getting them involved in the youth programs offered through your parish as a start. If there isn't anything offered in your particular parish (which is truly unlikely!), then you can look at some of the other parishes in your diocese. Also, I would look online to see if there is a Catholic book store or Catholic Religious Goods store in your town. They will have lots of books, fun movies and other things to encourage learning and development of Faith.

I think, most importantly, they will learn from you. They will see the joy the Church gives you, and they will see your passion and love for the Church. Bring them to Mass with you. Remember that, even if we do not receive communion, Mass gives us the opportunity to physically sit in the presence of Christ. It offers Grace to all who are present. Isn't that awesome?!
Old May 2, '12, 6:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia23 View Post
I agree with you completely. While it is true that the Church is the one True Religion that opens the gate through a very narrow path, I think that is a conclusion for the child to get to rather than the incentive to move forward.

For the one posting, I would suggest getting them involved in the youth programs offered through your parish as a start. If there isn't anything offered in your particular parish (which is truly unlikely!), then you can look at some of the other parishes in your diocese. Also, I would look online to see if there is a Catholic book store or Catholic Religious Goods store in your town. They will have lots of books, fun movies and other things to encourage learning and development of Faith.

I think, most importantly, they will learn from you. They will see the joy the Church gives you, and they will see your passion and love for the Church. Bring them to Mass with you. Remember that, even if we do not receive communion, Mass gives us the opportunity to physically sit in the presence of Christ. It offers Grace to all who are present. Isn't that awesome?!
This.

I get the OP. I'm doing RCIA in the fall and my older children love the church we were attending. One of the reasons they are attached is the Wednesday night dinners. I prayed hard about it, and a few days later, out of the blue, some ladies in our mom's group at the Catholic parish asked everyone if we thought some Wednesday potlucks would go over well.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting