Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 1, '12, 7:41 am

Red face Wanting to convert, baptized Nazarene

Hey all! My husband and I are wanting to convert to the Catholic Church. We are both baptized as Nazarenes but haven't been involved in church for a while since we have obviously felt something missing! I have several questions for all of you!

1. We are attending mass tonight for the first time.. What's appropriate to wear?

2. I've read that as far as RCIA classes go, they're for those unfamiliar with the Christian faith. Is it 100% necessary to go through the whole thing to join the church? We are not bible buffs by any means but DO have a relationship with Christ and are baptized.

3. We want to start praying the rosary so we both purchased one. Do we need to find a priest to bless them? Will someone bless a rosary for us if we are not Catholic and do not know the priest?

Thank you!
Old May 1, '12, 9:01 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic Revert
Default Re: Wanting to convert, baptized Nazarene

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCatholicFam View Post
Hey all! My husband and I are wanting to convert to the Catholic Church. We are both baptized as Nazarenes but haven't been involved in church for a while since we have obviously felt something missing! I have several questions for all of you!
The angels are dancing today....

Quote:
1. We are attending mass tonight for the first time.. What's appropriate to wear?
Dress nicely - modestly. Like you were going out to a really nice restaurant.
Just remember that you are going to be in the actual presence of Christ, on the Altar and in the Tabernacle.
Just one more thing...and you probably already know this...Do not go up for communion until you are formally received into the Church.
Quote:
2. I've read that as far as RCIA classes go, they're for those unfamiliar with the Christian faith. Is it 100% necessary to go through the whole thing to join the church? We are not bible buffs by any means but DO have a relationship with Christ and are baptized.
My understanding is that this can vary somewhat from parish to parish. Speak to the priest. He'll get you started.

Quote:
3. We want to start praying the rosary so we both purchased one. Do we need to find a priest to bless them? Will someone bless a rosary for us if we are not Catholic and do not know the priest?
No problem. Just ask the priest to bless the rosaries. He likely won't even ask if you are Catholic or not.

Quote:
Thank you!
You are welcome....

God Bless you and welcome HOME

Peace
James

The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old May 1, '12, 9:12 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic

How exciting!!!! A world of richness awaits you in the Catholic Church. I think you'll find yourself more spiritually fed than you've ever been before. I am so happy for you.

RCIA is necessary in every parish that I know of. The length of RCIA tends to differ, though. You will be able to go to Mass, of course, regardless. But as another poster mentioned, you will not be able to receive communion until after RCIA. There is a prayer for "spiritual communion" you might want to ask the priest for a copy of.

Remember, RCIA is not a race to the finish line. They want you to get an education about the Church, yes. But they also want you to fully experience the Mass, the Holy Days..... and become part of the community that exists there.

God bless you both!

Sadie

Last edited by CleverUserName; May 1, '12 at 9:13 am. Reason: typo
Old May 1, '12, 9:12 am

Religion: Catholic (Joined 2005)

Quote:

Thank you!
Hi, and welcome home.

1) Many U.S. parishioners tend to be less formal of late than a few non-Catholics in dress. A good standard for Sunday Mass (especially with teenagers in tow, who often dress too casually, with flip-flops, high-riding shorts and the like) is business casual (khakis with non-athletic shoes with polo shirt or button-up shirt for men, a knee-length or longer dress for women). Daily Mass is generally casual since most attend just before or after work. Depending on the city, you may see people wearing team jerseys and other sports wear to Mass in preparation to go to a game after the service. I find this distasteful in that one cannot find 1 hour to dress respectfully for the Lord's presence, yet will dress for several hours to idolize a football team?

2) The Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults (RCIA) doesn't obligate you to a thing, yes. You can learn the essentials of the Catholic faith but choose not to make the initiation. A parish will require you to attend the complete program, which often starts in September and concludes at Pentacost (on the Easter Vigil, those who choose are initiated fully into the Church). I recommend that you attend the full program (it's commonly once a week for 2 hours). You will be enlightened on what you know and don't know about historic Christianity and enjoy it much. Parishes have different rules for RCIA; check with the pastor and RCIA leader for details in your area.

3) Rosaries don't require a blessing, but it's a wonderful gesture to receive. You needn't be Catholic for a pastor to offer such a blessing. A rosary is known as a sacramental, or object that Christians can use as part of prayer and penitence. It's different than the Sacraments--seven gifts to the Church that form a foundation to maintaining or fostering your grace in Christ. Baptism and Marriage are two Sacraments that Catholics share with non-Catholics (although non-Catholics may not call them as such).

A parish priest can work with you as far as your baptism and its validity (most baptisms in non-Catholic circles are considered valid) and any other questions you have.

You might find some older Catholic Answers Forum threads on the Nazorene faith useful. Start with this one and use the search tool for more. Again, welcome home!

"If I am not (in a state of grace), may God put me there; and if I am, may God so keep me." --St. Jeanne d'Arc

Old May 1, '12, 9:42 am

Quote:

Thank you!
1. Modest business like clothing is always appropriate. You will see individuals dress in many different styles. As with society as a whole, the dress code has eased over time. For women, the dress should be knee length or longer and shoulders covered. Nice slacks may also be worn. Your husband may or may not choose to wear a tie. What you wore to Nazarene services should work fine.
2. The RCIA program is designed to acquaint you with Catholic teaching. It begins with an inquiry process. It would well be worth going through the whole program to see more clearly the differences and similarities between Nazarene and Catholic teaching. Your Baptism is valid, and it is great that you have a relationship with Jesus Christ. We are continually called to grow in that relationship.
3. It is not technically necessary to have rosaries blessed before using them. Any priest will be willing to bless the rosaries for you as sacramentals.

As another poster already stated, you will not be able to receive Holy Communion until you are fully initiated into the Church. In some parishes, individuals do approach the altar for a blessing. If this is done in the parish that you attend, cross your arms over your chest so that the priest knows you are not receiving.

Welcome home.
Old May 1, '12, 10:31 am

Quote:

Thank you!
Welcome home!

The other respondents already covered the basics very well. I will supplement a little detail.
  1. The nice restaurant comparison is good. This is the kind of place that will neither require you to wear a tie nor cut it off if you happen to be wearing one already. (depending upon region and weather conditions, some people may dress outwardly as though they were at McDonald's or on their way to the beach - we try to not judge them and presume they are attired appropriately in spirit)
  2. You are correct that the Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults is primarily designed for non-Christians preparing for baptism. In many places, it has been adapted for Christians coming from a Protestant or "non denominational" tradition, due to the large influx (Orthodox have no need for instruction when they come into Communion with Rome). Even "cradle" Catholics who don't know their faith well go to the classes to improve their understanding.

Some people receive private instruction from a priest and may be received when their instruction is complete rather than waiting for the next Easter Vigil. Talk to your priest to determine what option is best for your situation.
  3. While the priest will certainly bless your rosaries, you can start praying it before they are blessed.
Old May 1, '12, 2:27 pm

Thank you so much everyone!! Would nice jeans, nice flats, a dressy shirt and cardigan be appropriate?

Nice to know about the rosaries! We will speak with the priest about the rcia... Can we make an appointment or something to speak with him privately?
Old May 1, '12, 2:37 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic Revert

Quote:
Thank you so much everyone!! Would nice jeans, nice flats, a dressy shirt and cardigan be appropriate?
Sounds OK.

Quote:
Nice to know about the rosaries! We will speak with the priest about the rcia... Can we make an appointment or something to speak with him privately?
Yes you can make an appointment just call the parish office...

Peace
James

The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old May 1, '12, 2:43 pm

Quote:

Yes, that would be considered appropriate.
It is best to make an appointment to speak to the priest. Many are busy and this way you can insure you have the necessary time to ask any questions you may have. Most parishes have a secretary who will gladly give you an appointment time. The parish bulletin, or website if the parish has one, should contain office hours in which to call.
You can almost always ask a priest to bless rosaries immediately after Mass. It is customary in many parishes for the priest to meet and greet Mass goers after the recessional.
You may tell the priest as you leave Mass, "I am not Catholic, but I am interested in learning more about the Faith." He will probably suggest you call his secretary. It will definitely make his day.
Old May 1, '12, 2:56 pm

One more thing... Should we dip our finger in holy water and make the cross upon entrance or is that not ok since we are not catholic?
Old May 1, '12, 3:02 pm

Quote:
One more thing... Should we dip our finger in holy water and make the cross upon entrance or is that not ok since we are not catholic?
It's okay if that's what you want to do. (there's only one thing you should not do for now and a couple of other posters already handled that)

Old May 1, '12, 3:23 pm

Quote:
Making the sign of the cross is a reminder of our Baptism, a Baptism that you share.
The words that go with it are, "In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen." It is how we as Catholics begin and end our prayers. It is a statement of our belonging to the one Triune God.
Old May 1, '12, 3:33 pm

Hi NewCatholicFam I meet with a local parish Priest every Friday. I called and made an appt and went from there. He has been so generous and giving with his time and knowledge. I was not raised in the Christian faith so I've a handicap so to speak. I can recommend RCIA though. There are so many wonderful things about the Catholic Church, Faith and Catholic culture to learn. There is a red book called " Catechism for Adults " I highly recommend reading along with the regular Catechism book. I got these from the Priest. I love praying the rosary and have developed a love for the Blessed Mother through praying it. Through her I come closer to Christ and his teachings. The Priest blessed my rosaries , no problem. Meeting with your local Parish Priest is a great way to be introduced to the Church, Her Teachings and Sponsers. Best of blessings to you and your family on your journey into Catholicism.
Old May 2, '12, 7:10 am

Quote:

Thank you!
HI and congrats on beginning your journey.

Most people have answered your questions but I would recommend getting the book Catholicism for Dummies. It is supposed to be a very good introduction to Catholicism book and will no doubt answer a lot of questions you might have.

Please ask lots of questions on these forums as you will find many knowledgable people here. Also, if you hear something about the Church or something someone does in the Church doesn't seem correct please ask about it so any misconceptions can be cleared up.
Old May 2, '12, 7:17 am

Quote:

Thank you!

Welcome and God's blessings to you!

Others have answered your questions well so I won't address those. I did want to say though that I personally have been raised Catholic since I was an infant, but it wasn't until I became older and really began saying my rosary that my faith blossomed. It's such a wonderful gift of our faith and I know it will enrich your faith journey.

I will be praying for you and your husband.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization