Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 23, '12, 5:30 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Lost arts of home-making

Quote:
Originally Posted by roselily View Post

-Are you feel more better now, Kathryn?

Ah, Dear Kathryn! Everyone was able to sew if they want, and I will make more sewing.

I pray you get well now.
Keep on enjoying your sewing, Dear roselily, and thank you yes, much better!
Old Apr 26, '12, 8:39 am
Prayer Warrior

I'm currently making curtains for my home. It's sad that sewing your own clothes and furnishings isn't as big a saver as it use to be. ( so I'm told) I did manage to save a bunch of money by getting fabrics on sale.
Old Apr 26, '12, 10:48 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

I'm currently learn to crochet.

I already knit, but I'm not very patient and crochet seems to progress really quickly so I'm enjoying it.
Old Apr 26, '12, 11:01 am
Prayer Warrior

I started knitting because crocheting just seemed harder at the time. Now that I can crochet it's my favorite of the two. Not only does it go by quicker it allows for more freedom in what your making. I've made stuffed animals, hats and baby sweaters. When I was knitting all I ever made was scarves.
Old Apr 26, '12, 11:08 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMetzinger View Post
I started knitting because crocheting just seemed harder at the time. Now that I can crochet it's my favorite of the two. Not only does it go by quicker it allows for more freedom in what your making. I've made stuffed animals, hats and baby sweaters. When I was knitting all I ever made was scarves.

I made scarves and have tried to make bigger projects, but I just give up. Yes sometimes the repetativeness is very relaxing and I enjoy it, but I could spend 5-6hrs doing the same pattern and only make 1/4 of a shawl.

And it seems that some of the more intricate/exciting patterns are made using crochet.
Old Apr 26, '12, 11:23 am
Prayer Warrior

I agree. The repetitiveness in knitting is soothing. I like to make up my own patterns when I'm crocheting but when it isn't working out sometimes I'll take a break from the crocheting madness and knit myself a scarf. I can knit a scarf with my eyes closed. lol
Old Apr 26, '12, 11:29 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
I agree. The repetitiveness in knitting is soothing. I like to make up my own patterns when I'm crocheting but when it isn't working out sometimes I'll take a break from the crocheting madness and knit myself a scarf. I can knit a scarf with my eyes closed. lol
One of the things I really enjoyed knitting was a cushion cover with super chunky yarn. It took me less than 2 hours to knit (and that included several mistakes and having to pull it out) in basket weave stitch.

I can knit a scarf while watching TV without having to look at my needles. Have you ever made a scarf using circular needles? I made one big loop scarf for my mother and sister, and they are wide enough to wear over the head as a hooded scarf. Using extra chunky yarn, very quick as well.
Old Apr 26, '12, 11:41 am
Prayer Warrior

I love using extra chunky yarn, but I never thought of knitting a pillow. That's a great idea.

I have circular needles (needles with the cord attaching them) but I can never get them to work properly. I don't have much patience.
Old Apr 27, '12, 5:28 am

Religion: Soon to be Catholic!

It seems like a person is either predominately a crochet-er or knitter! I have been crocheting since I was small, but it wasn't till a year ago that I learned to knit. I have a pretty good yarn stash (I found some super cheap wool and cotton sweaters at goodwill that I unraveled) so I've been practicing!
The circular needles are a pain at first but once I got the hang of them I made a couple hats that I am happy with. I always seem to make my way back to my crochet hooks, though.
Old Apr 27, '12, 6:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne72 View Post
It seems like a person is either predominately a crochet-er or knitter! I have been crocheting since I was small, but it wasn't till a year ago that I learned to knit. I have a pretty good yarn stash (I found some super cheap wool and cotton sweaters at goodwill that I unraveled) so I've been practicing!
The circular needles are a pain at first but once I got the hang of them I made a couple hats that I am happy with. I always seem to make my way back to my crochet hooks, though.
That is an amazing idea for a way to get cheap yarn!! I might have to start experimenting with this!!
Old Apr 28, '12, 7:04 am

Religion: Soon to be Catholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewanderer View Post
That is an amazing idea for a way to get cheap yarn!! I might have to start experimenting with this!!

It is soooo addictive and wonderful! There are some guidelines-like shoulder and arm seams-if they are serged you won't get a full length of yarn and so it is best to avoid those. Also, after you unravel it's best to gather the yarn in long hanks, tie off, and soak in COLD water then hang to dry so it draws the 'curl' out. Though, some people often just crochet or knit straight from the old sweater as they unravel, Depends on how cooperative the yarn is! There are a lot of articles out there on how to reclaim or 'frog' as it is sometimes called. I typically stick with old cotton or wool sweaters (as long as the wool hasn't felted) and larger bulky yarn. I also avoid acrylic as that yarn is typically cheaper in the stores-but occasionally I will find a really cool color I really must have! It's like a treasure hunt!
Old May 2, '12, 7:25 am
Prayer Warrior

I've seen fabric at thrift stores before. I just never have a good enough reason to get any.
Old May 8, '12, 11:18 am
Prayer Warrior

what is a good fabric to use when making a stuffed animal?
Old May 8, '12, 2:40 pm

There are a couple of really good books to do with cooking/baking; gardening; homesteading
Carla Emery's Old Fashioned Recipe Book and Encyclopedia of Country Living and the Foxfire series

Both were written to mid 60's to mid 70's and might be hard to find but will tell you more than you ever really wanted to know about self sufficiency including what a healthy goat's turds (her words not mine) should feel like and how to skin a bear.

I learned how to make bread and be adventurous at it and how to can from Carla Emery.
From the Foxfire series you can learn to preserve fruits and vegtables, slaughter hogs and make moonshine and that's just from the first book!
Old May 9, '12, 7:57 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
what is a good fabric to use when making a stuffed animal?
Crochet

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014