Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > Contemplatives Corner

Contemplatives Corner Click here to visit this social group

Old Oct 2, '10, 5:59 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default True Devotion to Mary

Hi Clare, sorry for taking so long to post this, I was not able to log in for some reason that Divine Providence made use of. My question regarding the Holy Mother was this. I just read True Devotion to Mary by St. Louis de Montfort and realized I have found a new favorite. After consecrating oneself to Jesus, he uses the example of Jacob and Rebecca, when she dressed up Jacob in Esau's finery so that Isaac would think he was blessing his favorite son, as an analogy to explain the benefits of now approaching God through the Holy Mother. In this way, God will detect, in us, the Blessed Virgin's merits & graces and be more pleased.

To give a little history, I'm a convert from the Assembly of God faith tradition and my understanding had always been that we go to the Father through Jesus, because then He will see His Son in us since His blood covers us, and His wrath due to our sin would be, in essence soothed. So my question was, how will going to God through the Holy Mother be any more pleasing to Him?

To my amazement and great delight, during the time that I was not able to access the forum, the Holy Mother helped me to understand the situation quite a bit better. As a Catholic Christian, through baptism and the sacraments, we become new creations in Christ. Through the Eucharist, if we abide in Him, he promises to abide in us. God's wrath was soothed by Christ's sacrifice and the benefits of this sacrifice are applied to us each at baptism, through regular reception of the sacraments and through regularly crucifying the flesh so that it is truly no longer we who live, but Christ living in us. It's not so much that Jesus's blood covers us as it washes us and transforms to white as snow our sins which had been scarlet. Now when we approach the Father, we do so in Christ, and by doing so, the Father sees Christ in us, and is pleased.

In regards to the Holy Mother, after the consecration, it's not that we approach God through her, it's more appropriate to say that we approach God wholly united with her. Doing this is pleasing to God for these basic reasons. The first and most important is that she, as Jesus's mother, is more united to Him than anyone else in all creation. The next is that she is His most glorious creation. She was able to do, as a young teenager, what it took three years of teaching and miracles, the Lord's death, resurrection, ascension and the outpouring of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost to enable the apostles to do, wholeheartedly say yes to God. And finally, when Jesus experienced His passion and death, she suffered it right along with Him. God indeed "looks with favor on His lowly servant."

So, once again, Divine Providence makes things turn out AWSOME! I tell you what, since reading this book and asking the Blessed Virgin to help me to better know her and to better understand the Faith so that I can be nearer to and more completely love, her Divine Son, Jesus Christ, she has really worked overtime. She has helped and is helping to open my eyes to the beauty and just plain awesomeness that is the Catholic faith that I never knew existed in my previous faith tradition. I love being Catholic!!

I saw a bumper sticker once that completely makes sense to me now, it said: Know Mary, Know Jesus; No Mary, No Jesus!

I'm still a baby convert so if my theology is not 100%, please correct me.

Peace,
Irishquad
Old May 2, '12, 12:32 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Faithful to Pope Francis~ Roman Catholic
Default Re: True Devotion to Mary

I see this was posted a while ago but I will still comment. Sounds good to me!! Your on the right path. I did my Consecration on the Annunciation this year and it was so great!! I feel truly blessed
Yep, Catholicism sure is the way to go!!
God bless you +++

"O Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to Thee"

Where to send your petitions -
http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=451946

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > Contemplatives Corner