Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 2, '12, 1:48 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: I attended my very first TLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainaldo View Post
Now you understand.
Perfect!
Old Jan 24, '13, 11:09 pm

Religion: Catholic

So, it has been almost a year since I have attended my first EF Mass. I have gone to two others during this time, a second time in November in Tucson, AZ and this last Sunday...and I still get the chills...in a good way of course . This last Sunday, a bigger group was suppose to go to go to St. Anne's once again, but everyone flaked out at the last minute. I had made the decision to take my kids with me, regardless if everyone else was going or not.

Again, Solemn High Mass was almost over and my children heard the chant, my eldest whom is 11 smiled and said that the music and singing sounded really beautiful, My daughters loved how all the other girls were dressed and the respect and reverence people had in church. When I asked them what they liked about the Mass, they just replied, "EVERYTHING!".

There have been many things that have impacted me since my initial attendance to the first EF. One being that the manner I dress matters a lot. Ever since that fateful day I made the decision to dress up for Mass, regardless if it was the EF or the OF. Also, since I am an altar server at my parish, I had a lot more reverence in the service I gave to God. My posture and movements are with more reverence and care than before; that is not to say that I lacked reverence and respect in my service to God, but that I know have a more proper way of doing things in my actions. But there are also things that I have seen and can't help but feel and see a great difference between the EF and the OF.

For instance, I know that the dignity of the priest is the same even if he just knows the OF or the EF. I know that they are men whom are set apart for the service of God for the benefit of His Church. But I can not help but feel as if priests whom only celebrate in the Extraordinary Form differ from those who celebrate only in the Novous Ordo. For those whom only attend the Novous Ordo, please be aware that I am only speaking on my personal experience with the OF Masses celebrated in my area, I am not speaking in general. I can not articulate it correctly in words, but its as if it is two different types of priests. What I have seen, felt (and I will acknowledge that this point is moot, since feelings are subjective), and read in the missal at the EF; this is more of a sacrifice that the priest offers and not only of himself, but for the laity as well. The priest prays that he may be worthy to approach the altar and asks of the laity that he may be found worthy as well. This just blows my mind, because I do not see this in the OF. Just comparing the two forms, I can see how the liberties and novelties taken up in the OF seem as if it something normal and expected. I can see how some people may think, "well, anyone can do what he is doing" or "the only difference between he and I, is that he is dressed differently". Going back to the novelties, there is a priest in my area that occassionally comes to my parish and there are times he brings his guitar. During his homily, the priest will strap his guitar and start singing out praise and worship music and encourages us to "clap" for Jesus. I have the priest whom leaves the sanctuary and gives the sign of peace to everyone in the first two rows of pews, while Jesus is on the altar. There is the priest whom makes jokes all throughout his homily and talks nothing but slang. And I want to acknowledge that there are some priests whom celebrate the OF in a very reverant and dignified manner, but there are few and far in between. I recognize that no priest is perfect and I am not trying to idealize priests, but how hard is it to say the black and do the red, as father Z says?

I can honestly tell you, that if there was a parish in my area that celebrated in the EF, I would only go to that parish. But unfortunately I have to drive 3 hours each way in order to experience the tremendous gift that the EF is. I never experienced the EF during my childhood, because I was a Novous Ordo baby, my parish life revolves around the OF, this is the only thing I basically knew up until a year ago. I do not want to belittle the OF nor want to say that it is invalid or one can not find spiritual treasures there, but if the OF was celebrated the way it is meant to be celebrated, things would be a heck of a lot more different than what they are. I just give thanks to God for allowing me to experience the EF, and I hope that I get to go more often.
Old Jan 24, '13, 11:22 pm

Keep praying for an EF mass nearer your home. The EF mass is growing everywhere. The seminaries dedicated to the EF Mass are packed with a waiting line outside.

When I came to the Seattle area a few years ago, there was a small Latin Mass that about 30 people attended. Now they have a whole FSSP parish with two priests and the EF mass every day and twice on Sundays (Low Mass and Solemn High Mass). It is like heaven now.

By the way, our parish is full of young adults and big, young families, so don't ever think the EF is a 'no children allowed" mass.

If your children like it, maybe you could make it a family rosary intention.
Old May 6, '13, 8:32 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Katoliko

In another thread I mentioned that I attended an EF for the first time at the Jesuit university where I spent 4 fruitful years of my life as a student. It was being offered every third Thursday at the Oratory of St. Ignatius, the main chapel of the formation house for Jesuit scholastics; the Superior of the house was generous in allowing its use. It's sponsored by a group of students and professors called the Ateneo Latin Mass Society.

I finally got hold of a few photos and I'd like to share them here. Credit goes to Dinky Nievera.

Feria Quinta Post Dominicam I in Quadragesima 02.21.13
with Fr. Tim Ofrasio, SJ

Relics fill the Altar.

A congregation of mostly students and a few Jesuit scholastics.

Please pray for Fr. Tim and this group.

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatoris.

Fratres, orare pro me peccatore.
Old May 8, '13, 6:24 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Thank you for sharing, choliks! Beautiful!

To the OP - have you considered writing the bishop of your diocese expressing your interest in TLM and requesting an option to attend closer to home? It's worth a shot!

I will continue to pray for more parishes to carry the Latin Mass so more and more of the faithful have the opportunity to experience this most beautiful gift God has bestowed upon us!

I will be attending the Latin Mass tonight for the Ascesion of the Lord Vigil Mass (in NJ, this Thursday is the Ascension of the Lord - I don't understand why it is on Sunday for different parts of the US, but I guess that's another thread!)

- Debi
Old Oct 7, '13, 9:07 pm

You know, I have considered this, and citing the provisions that Summorum Pontificum states, but I want to have a stable group that would like to attend the TLM. Every chance I get, I invite new people in order for them to experience it so they too may be interested to attend the TLM, if it becomes available in my area.
Old Oct 7, '13, 10:22 pm

Hey, 10th Crusader, don't forget the North American Martyrs - South Sound in Tacoma and the twice monthly TLM's in Bremerton and Port Angeles and the monthly at Immaculate Heart of Mary in Kelso.

The FSSP has had a great impact on the northwest.
Old Oct 8, '13, 12:05 am

Religion: Thank you POPE BENEDICT XVI We LOVE YOU! GOD BLESS YOU.
Thumbs up Re: I attended my very first TLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivera01 View Post
You know, I have considered this, and citing the provisions that Summorum Pontificum states, but I want to have a stable group that would like to attend the TLM. Every chance I get, I invite new people in order for them to experience it so they too may be interested to attend the TLM, if it becomes available in my area.

Thanks for the thread Rivera It has beautiful posts & pictures. I have been to Saint Anne's as well, and it was amazing! I felt at HOME I am glad that you had a lovely experience there too. God bless.
Old Oct 8, '13, 12:08 am

Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic with Jesuit & Byzantine influence

I hope to attend that parish one day too.
Old Oct 8, '13, 9:47 am

The Chanted Mass is the most beautiful form of the Mass, period. I think anyone could go to it and appreciate it.

The Low Mass, IMO, is an acquired taste. You may not get it at first, but once you do, it's awesome.

I'm happy to have a newly created weekly Low Mass nearby (10 minutes away) now. Anytime I don't have anything happening on Sunday afternoon I'll always be there over the OF! I still have to travel half an hour to get to the closest High Mass, but it's a start!

INVIOLATA, integra, et casta es Maria, quae es effecta fulgida caeli porta.
Old Oct 8, '13, 4:55 pm

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainaldo
Now you understand.
This is so true.

@OP - I'm so very happy that you enjoyed yourself. I went to my first EF six months ago and I haven't looked back. I don't have the commute that you do but you could ask if your parish to look into providing one. I too didn't know what I was missing out on until I experienced it for myself.

Posted from Catholic.com App for Android

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism