Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 25, '12, 5:43 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Prayer book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewstx View Post
Sorry me computer messed up

I was saying or trying to say that both Byzantine daily Worship and the Jordanville prayer book have been very useful to me. And a good psalter.

Although I've never seen the Jordanville Prayer Book, I've been told that the new Melkite book is basically the same thing except in a dignified modern English. The "BDW," in my opinion, is indispensable, as is a good Psalter. I have two Psalters that I really like; the one published by New Skete, and the translation done by Baron Jose DeVinck and Fr. Contas. The Psalter translated and published by Holy Transfiguration Monastery is also very good, if you like Elizabethan English.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me.

Old Apr 25, '12, 10:50 pm

Religion: Orthodox

I do indeed like Elisabethan English just comes across as more reverent to me. Probablly because I was Episcopal at one time. I also like and with thy spirit much more than and also with you.

In my Antiochian parish it's always Elizabetheian English that is used.
Old Apr 26, '12, 1:46 am

Religion: Catholic: Russian Greek Catholic, & Latin Church catechist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByzCathCantor View Post
BTW - if your goal is to be able to pray the hours in Eastern tradition daily, Eastern Christian Publications has just started offering a email subscription based service. They will email you the "script" for the entire day, in pdf format, with all the propers selected and inserted in the right place.

I've attached a sample file so that you can see if this would be helpful to you (and older file, from the time period when they were offering a free trial subscription).
I'm glad you were successful in getting the free trial subscription. I made two attempts to get subscribed, and a PM to Jack, unsuccessful. Did they end up deciding to offer the paid subscription? If so got a link for that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Rolfes View Post
I'm personally a big fan of the Melkite Eparchy of Newton's new "Publican's Prayer Book," available from https://melkite.org/products-page/prayer-books

Also, the two-volume "Let Us Pray to the Lord" books available from Eastern Christian Publications (https://secure.webvalence.com/ecomme...=books&class=4) are also very good. The first volume contains all of your daily prayers plus other things such as Matins and Vespers and various other devotions. The second volume is primarily the two Byzantine Liturgies.
"Publican's Prayer Book," is a very nice prayerbook, and very lovely print and binding etc as well. As I recall there's so additional material, not prayers, also at the end of the book.

RE "Let Us Pray to the Lord", do you know what translation they used for the services? I'm not a fan of some translations, including what the Greek Orthodox use here, when they use English. I'm used to the OCA's which we use.
Old Apr 26, '12, 5:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Loaves View Post
RE "Let Us Pray to the Lord", do you know what translation they used for the services? I'm not a fan of some translations, including what the Greek Orthodox use here, when they use English. I'm used to the OCA's which we use.
The translations used in the "Let Us Pray to the Lord" books are, in part, Ruthenian translations (pre-Revised Divine Liturgy). Much of the rest of the translations were done directly from the Ruthenian Recension by a local Ruthenian priest. The Psalms are from the Grail Psalter. Everything is in modern English. As far as personal preferences are concerned, I prefer the Publican's Prayer Book by far.

If you've been using the electronic Divine Office from Eastern Christian Publications you should have a pretty good idea of the type of translation used in the LUPttL books.

Old Apr 26, '12, 5:38 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Rolfes View Post
I'm personally a big fan of the Melkite Eparchy of Newton's new "Publican's Prayer Book," available from https://melkite.org/products-page/prayer-books
I owned this one already and sold it to a bookstore. There's quite a few typos in this one, which is disappointing. Some of the icons look like poor quality clip art. The cover is way too stiff even to be bonded leather.
Old Apr 26, '12, 6:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chris View Post
I owned this one already and sold it to a bookstore. There's quite a few typos in this one, which is disappointing. Some of the icons look like poor quality clip art. The cover is way too stiff even to be bonded leather.
The typos are unfortunate, and I hope that a revised edition which corrects these mistakes is released at some point. The icons could've been done in a higher resolution. As it is, it looks like a very pixilated scanned image. Again, I'd hope that this would be corrected in a revised edition. The leather cover on my book is just fine.

The thing that I really like about the book is the translation of the prayers. Despite the few typos, the translation is dignified and very readable/prayable. I'm torn with the whole modern vs. Elizabethan English thing. For private prayer I prefer modern English hands down. When in private I prefer to speak to God in the same language with which I'd speak to my spouse and children. To me that just feels more intimate. But that's a subjective preference. Liturgically I think reasonable arguments can be made for both Elizabethan and modern English. Elizabethan English, on a subjective level, sounds more dignified. I would argue that when it comes to the public worship of the Church using a language that is understandable, but is not the "street language" would be preferable. That being said, certain Churches have committees that meet regularly to update translations into the modern idiom so that the translations are accurate, but still up to date. I've read that the Romanian Orthodox Church is one such Church. I'm just glad that I'm not the one left with the decision because to me there are an equal number of pros and cons with both Elizabethan and modern English.

Old Apr 26, '12, 6:35 am

Religion: Orthodox

When I pray mentally and extempore I use modern English of course. But in the liturgy and prayer books I like E.... English.

I should never post that late, as the results showed.
Old Apr 26, '12, 6:43 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Byzantine Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Loaves View Post
I'm glad you were successful in getting the free trial subscription. I made two attempts to get subscribed, and a PM to Jack, unsuccessful. Did they end up deciding to offer the paid subscription? If so got a link for that?
I signed up for the trial subscription early on, via the email address Jack had provided at that time. It's likely that he was only taking requests via that route, as he does not routinely post on the boards (including ByzCathForum).

Anyhow, here's a link to the current offering: Byzantine Daily Office

There is an archive of the files provided during the trial period, available via this link.

Христос Воскресе!
"Christ always gives his Church the gift of unity, but the Church must always pray and work to maintain, reinforce, and perfect the unity that Christ wills for her."- Catechism of the Catholic Church, "Toward Unity" (CCC 820)
Old May 2, '12, 10:41 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Byzantine Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPip View Post
For the OP, there is also The Byzantine Book of Prayer published by and available from Byzantine Seminary Press in Pittsburgh for about $20.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByzCathCantor View Post
The original Byzantine Book of Prayer, like the Byzantine Daily Worship, was published by Alleluia Press and both are the handiwork of + Archbishop Joseph Raya.

I am not sure if this book by the same name now being offered by the BSP is a different book, or a reprint of the original. As I was interesting in replacing my long lost copy of the original, I think I will call to inquire ...
FYI - this prayer book was indeed published by Byzantine Seminary Press, under the Imprimatur of + Metropolitan Judson, and is still being sold via the BSP website. Except for the cover and a few pages at the beginning, is an exact reprint of the original publication of Alleluia Press.

I did order this as a replacement from my long lost copy, as I always did like this prayer book, but I would warn my fellow members of the Pittsburgh Metropolitan Church that the Divine Liturgies included in this volume do not conform to current translations in use today.

As for the OP, I do not think the contents of this prayer book as sufficient to support recitation of the Daily Office.
"Christ always gives his Church the gift of unity, but the Church must always pray and work to maintain, reinforce, and perfect the unity that Christ wills for her."- Catechism of the Catholic Church, "Toward Unity" (CCC 820)
Old May 2, '12, 2:11 pm
Banned

Religion: Olde fashioned Christian
Smile Re: Prayer book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewstx View Post
I was saying or trying to say that both Byzantine daily Worship and the Jordanville prayer book have been very useful to me. And a good psalter.
I agree, about both books.
Old May 6, '12, 9:19 am

Religion: Melkite Greek Catholic Christian

I use the Melkite "Publicans Prayer Book" which can be found here: https://melkite.org/products-page/prayer-books

It uses modern yet reverent English (like the RSV bible). It is beautifully typeset in two colors, black and red. It is genuine leather (unless I've been fooled). I is a typical Byzantine prayer book which is similar to the Jordanville Prayer Book.

I also use the Agpeya. The Agpeya is the primitive Liturgy of the Hours used by the Coptic Orthodox Church. You can read the Agpeya online here: http://www.agpeya.org/ This is the edition that I use: http://www.orthodoxbookstore.org/the...evenhours.aspx

I converted from protestantism to the Antiochian Orthodox Church and later in life became Coptic Orthodox and now, having come into the Catholic Church, I am officially a Melkite Catholic (though I still hold to Cyrillian/miaphysite Christology of the Coptic Church ).
“This is the Faith of the Apostles, this is the Faith of the Fathers, this is the Faith of the Orthodox, this is the Faith which has established the Universe.” - From the First Sunday of Great Lent of the Byzantine Rite

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism