Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old May 2, '12, 12:02 pm

Religion: Evangelical Catholic - LCMS
Default Do the Hard Truths Get in the Way?

In another thread I remarked that I admired the Catholic church's steadfastness in adhering to some hard truths - and sometimes, as I know personally, it "gets in the way" of pursuing a reconciliation with the Catholic church.

Marriage
In my case it's a divorce and remarriage issue - and I didn't exactly see this until various states began legalizing gay and lesbian marriages. I mentally fulminated about it, certain of the sinfulness in God's eyes regardless of what the government said. I even used it as a teaching moment with my kids to point out that just because it's legal doesn't mean it isn't a sin (like abortion!). And then I became aware of the plank in my own eye - my husband's previous marriage was a joining by God, and a sundering by man. My own marriage was just as invalid as if I was married to a woman. I hesitate to submit my self to an authority (Church) that will surely have difficult remedies for the situation.

I'm still working through this. I understand about forgiveness of sin, and repentance - but how does one repent of an ongoing marriage? I realize I should just make an appointment with a priest and discuss these concerns and get more specific answers than can be provided by a forum - but it's so much more comfortable to be ignorant

Church Authority/Office of the Keys

Covered pretty well in other threads, and I want to say that I'm slowly coming to understand this, but in a very simple fashion. In my understanding Christ called and chose his apostles and sent them out to evangelize - I can look at the New Testament and it is chock full of their instructions and admonitions to the earliest groups of Christians. Somebody has to be in charge of the physical church - and that person, or council, is accountable to God for their leadership. In one of Jesus' parables, a rich man leaves his servants in charge of his talents and then holds them accountable for what they did (and didn't do) with his treasure. I think he'll do the same with our leaders in the church, whether they are Popes, Bishops or pastors. Because the Pope has been entrusted with so much, much will be expected; and much grace will be given as well. It's a formidable job, but sombody has to do it - and it's too important for the Holy Spirit to regard the position and the person filling it with benign neglect.

Apostolic succession is remarkable and inspiring in a very cool way, but I am having a hard time connecting the dots on this as necessary to understand for the sake of salvation? I'm honestly not willfully ignorant, just coming from a decidedly different worldview.

Women Priests (or pastors, as the case may be)

Thankfully that's not my ox in that ditch, I have no quarrel with 1 Tim 2:

Contraception/Artificial Birth Control

I have no issues with this but I am sure it's a stumbling block for many Protestants and some Catholics, too.

I will leave the Justification arguments to others that are better able to articulate them as it seems to me that there is more agreement than disgreement between the Catholic and Lutheran positions.
Old May 2, '12, 2:45 pm
Forum Elder

Default Re: Do the Hard Truths Get in the Way?

Matthew 16:24 and Luke 9:23 tell us everything we need to know. It defines the difficulty of starting along the path behind Him, as well as the effort needed to remain on that path.

Marriage: Moses permitted divorce only because of hardness of heart.

Peter: Every organization has a CEO, but they also have boards.

Priests: Those who want female clergy have an argument with Christ, not so much with His Church.

Contraception: When we think of ourselves first, and God sometime after (if at all), contraception seems OK. You and I exist only because contraception was not used.
Old May 2, '12, 3:18 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by po18guy View Post
You and I exist only because contraception was not used.
What are you talking about? There are lots of people concieved in spite of their parents' contraception.
Old May 2, '12, 5:56 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoflare View Post
What are you talking about? There are lots of people concieved in spite of their parents' contraception.
I was speaking of normally.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions