Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 30, '12, 7:59 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Prayer to saints who may not be real?

I have been praying to St. Dymphna for intercession for a family member suffering from mental illness. I decided to read more about her on the Catholic Encyclopedia and found that there is no basis in history for her existance other than stories that grew from local legends.

This is very disheartening and makes me wonder how much can we really trust stories about saints? Should we just stick to the apostles and Our Lady?
Old Apr 30, '12, 9:03 pm
Trial Membership

Default Re: Prayer to saints who may not be real?

It is sad and upsetting once you find out that a Saint you have been asking to pray for you is only based on a legend, but I don't think that means we should only stick to asking the Apostles and our Mother for favor with God because some other Saints have been the grace to preside over certain circumstances that are real. For me, whenever I feel compelled to pray to a saint who I know little about, I like to investigate their stories further.

Or when in doubt, just ask Jesus
Old Apr 30, '12, 9:30 pm
Prayer Warrior

The Saints hear us through the grace of God.

God understands our intentions better than we do.

If our intention is to gain intercession for, say, mental illness, and we pray with good heart and faith to the patron Saint of such; God, in His great mercy and wisdom will hear and understand and take that into account.

Put another way.

You go before a judge and ask for a favor, but refer to him by the wrong name, he will still respond to you according to his position; not his name. (If he's uptight he mmight correct you, but Saints are never uptight).

Finally, just because there is no historical evidence for a person, does not mean that they don't exist.

Pray to God always, but never be afraid to ask for the intercession of any number of Saints. I ask St. Dymphna to pray for people on occasion and I never feel like my prayers fall on deaf ears.

Paryers are never wasted.
Old Apr 30, '12, 9:46 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

Personally I ask Saint Dymphna for her prayers all the time and I trust that she was a real person and is a real saint. But that is just me. I don't care that the only basis for her sainthood is based on legends. That doesn't matter to me. I still ask for her prayers on a regular basis.

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old May 2, '12, 8:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiritCarol View Post
The Saints hear us through the grace of God.

God understands our intentions better than we do.

If our intention is to gain intercession for, say, mental illness, and we pray with good heart and faith to the patron Saint of such; God, in His great mercy and wisdom will hear and understand and take that into account.

Put another way.

You go before a judge and ask for a favor, but refer to him by the wrong name, he will still respond to you according to his position; not his name. (If he's uptight he mmight correct you, but Saints are never uptight).

Finally, just because there is no historical evidence for a person, does not mean that they don't exist.

Pray to God always, but never be afraid to ask for the intercession of any number of Saints. I ask St. Dymphna to pray for people on occasion and I never feel like my prayers fall on deaf ears.

Paryers are never wasted.
I like that perspective. Thanks!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality