Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 2, '12, 4:40 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic (Oblate of St Benedict-MotRC)
Default Re: Biden says campaign bumper sticker is 'Bin Laden is dead and GM is alive'

Quote:
Originally Posted by estesbob View Post
So did I because Obama's vision for the country would destroy it and my Church. i am glad he failed and look forward to Romneys inauguration next January. The Obama nightmare is about to end.

Yup.

1. Attacks life

2. Attacks the economy

3. Attacks my Church

Enough.

<--click
Totus Tuus
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
Old May 2, '12, 4:48 pm

Default Re: Biden says campaign bumper sticker is 'Bin Laden is dead and GM is alive'

Quote:
Originally Posted by estesbob View Post
So did I because Obama's vision for the country would destroy it and my Church. i am glad he failed and look forward to Romneys inauguration next January. The Obama nightmare is about to end.
Ridiculous to say that you're happy that in your mind the President of your country failed. Remember, you're in a bubble here on CAF. I wouldn't be so sure that he's going to lose to Romney. There is a really strange amount of distortion on Obama's presidency; he's been successful with quite a few endeavors. Fox News really hates the guy, and they do a good job of picking at every little things he does, rarely (if ever) giving credit where credit is due.
Old May 2, '12, 4:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et Cetera View Post
Ridiculous to say that you're happy that in your mind the President of your country failed. Remember, you're in a bubble here on CAF. I wouldn't be so sure that he's going to lose to Romney. There is a really strange amount of distortion on Obama's presidency; he's been successful with quite a few endeavors. Fox News really hates the guy, and they do a good job of picking at every little things he does, rarely (if ever) giving credit where credit is due.
Name one accomplishment other than getting Bin Laden.

Many here don't like this president because he is the most pro-abortion president ever.

BTW, I wish the President well, I really do. In retirement.

<--click
Totus Tuus
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
Old May 2, '12, 4:56 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et Cetera View Post

My country didn't fail. My country rose up and elected people to block this mans agenda. I could not be happier he failed

Miguel Agustin Pro
Old May 2, '12, 5:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Daniele View Post

Many here don't like this president because he is the most pro-abortion president ever.

1. Abortion was legal under President Bush. It's not a new thing.

Here are some accomplishments, but there are many more. I've just picked a few.

Approved the Lily Ledbetter "Equal Pay" for women rule

Ended "Don't Ask/Don't Tell" discrimination in the military

Passed the Hate Crimes bill in Congress

Pushed through the Affordable Health Care Act, outlawing denial of coverage for pre-existing conditions, extending until age 26 health care coverage of children under parent's plans, steps toward "Medicare for All"

Expanded the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) health care for children

Pulled troops out of Iraq and began draw down of troops in Afghanistan

Families of fallen soldiers have expenses covered to be on hand when the body arrives at Dover AFB

Ended media blackout on war casualties; reporting full information

Ended media blackout on covering the return of fallen soldiers to Dover AFB; the media is now permitted to do so pending adherence to respectful rules and approval of fallen soldier’s family

Ended the previous stop-loss policy that kept soldiers in Iraq/Afghanistan longer than their enlistment date

Ended the previous policy; the US now has a no torture policy and is in compliance with the Geneva Convention standards

Better body armor is now being provided to our troops

The missile defense program is being cut by $1.4 billion in 2010
Old May 2, '12, 5:23 pm

Nice try. He rescinded the Mexico City policy by executive order, which increased the number of abortions

And yet women get paid less than men, in his own administration

Ended "Don't Ask/Don't Tell" discrimination in the military

Fail to see how this is a good thing, as it has caused pressure for military chaplains to perform gay "marriages"

Passed the Hate Crimes bill in Congress

Pass on commenting

Pushed through the Affordable Health Care Act, outlawing denial of coverage for pre-existing conditions, extending until age 26 health care coverage of children under parent's plans, steps toward "Medicare for All"

Pushing the Church to violate it's conscience or go to jail if they refuse to allow abortion coverage. Also he was off on the price tag by $1 trillion

Expanded the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) health care for children

Give ya that one

These troop withdrawals were already in the works

Families of fallen soldiers have expenses covered to be on hand when the body arrives at Dover AFB

Give ya that one

What media blackout?

Ended media blackout on covering the return of fallen soldiers to Dover AFB; the media is now permitted to do so pending adherence to respectful rules and approval of fallen soldier’s family

I wouldn't want the media there.

Ended the previous stop-loss policy that kept soldiers in Iraq/Afghanistan longer than their enlistment date

Give ya that one

Ended the previous policy; the US now has a no torture policy and is in compliance with the Geneva Convention standards

We already had that policy. Water boarding got Bin Laden, so it seems like the President wants to have it both ways

Source as to how this wasn't already planned?

Yeah, can't have too many of those missiles being stopped before they destroy a US city

All in all, a record only Jimmy Carter would be proud of.

<--click
Totus Tuus
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
Old May 2, '12, 9:21 pm

Religion: Deist, former Catholic

Nice try. He rescinded the Mexico City policy by executive order, which increased the number of abortions I'd love to see the stats

And yet women get paid less than men, in his own administration.. Complete nonsense since they were comparing completely different jobs

Ended "Don't Ask/Don't Tell" discrimination in the military If men, and or women wish to serve their nation, what should their sexual orientation matter?

Fail to see how this is a good thing, as it has caused pressure for military chaplains to perform gay "marriages"

Passed the Hate Crimes bill in Congress Here I agree...crime is crime

Pass on commenting

Pushing the Church to violate it's conscience or go to jail if they refuse to allow abortion coverage. Also he was off on the price tag by $1 trillion. Unpaid medical bills already exceed that....re abortion coverage....the procedure is legal in these United States, abhorrent as it may be.

Give ya that one

These troop withdrawals were already in the works. .But the end in Iraq happened under the current president

Give ya that one

What media blackout? You truly don't recall the refusal to allow photos of caskets coming into Dover under GWB?

I wouldn't want the media there .See above, and I'll add this....if people can't accept the reality of our our foreign policy, perhaps that policy is wrong.

Give ya that one

We already had that policy. Water boarding got Bin Laden, so it seems like the President wants to have it both ways..I'd love to hear how water-boarding got Bin Laden, who'd they waterboard?

Source as to how this wasn't already planned?

Yeah, can't have too many of those missiles being stopped before they destroy a US city

All in all, a record only Jimmy Carter would be proud of. Let's see, that was 30 years ago....oh yes, Grenada....great victory....the Marines in Lebanon...great victory there, first Gulf War, Iraq, and our current waste of blood an treasure.... little to be proud of in that time period, and loads of blame to go around if you care to be honest
With malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan..
Abraham Lincoln
Old May 2, '12, 10:22 pm
Banned

Quote:
Name one accomplishment other than getting Bin Laden..
Here's some more to add to the above lists

Quote:
With respect, I am surprised that some don't know the things the Obama admin has accomplished. Whether you agree with them all or not, you have to admit there is a really large number of major accomplishments in there, and there are just a ton overall. Let's see, the Affordable Care Act, again regardless of your politics, it's the most historical legislation and achievement in many, many years, which includes and in addition to the short list below. It's many provisions, some included below, are saving and improving lives.

But let's get the other big things out of the way. Obama kept the US economy from collapsing into Depression. The Stimulus saved or created millions of jobs. Does anybody remember 2008, when we were all saying who would want to be president at this time, anyway? Funny how fast we forget.

Let's put on the list of big things getting out of Iraq, and the successful raid to eliminate America's arch-enemy in the war on terrorism, Osama Bin Laden -- if you know any details at all about this, you know Obama made key decisions that ensured its success (general ones and specific ones, like deciding there must be two helicopters).

Let's put on there the reversal of America's disastrously bad image around the world that it had after the invasion of Iraq and the previous administration's arrogant attitude to the rest of the world.

Another major accomplishment, ending torture as official policy. He deserves the thanks of all decent people for that one.

Here's a short list compiled from various sources:

Obama in less than four years:

Signed New START Treaty - nuclear arms reduction pact with Russia
Overhauled the food safety system
Put caps on CEO bonuses of companies that received bailouts
Provided travel money to families of killed soldiers to meet the body at Dover AFB
Signed into law the measure helping sick rescue workers from 9/11
Signed the Weapons Systems Acquisition Reform Act to stop fraud and waste
Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009 advanced the I women's rights in the work place
Ended Don't Ask, Don't Tell (DADT) in our military
Granted Cuban Americans unrestricted rights to visit family in Cuba
Stopped defending DOMA in court.
Passed the Hate Crimes bill
Expanded Pell grants, helping low-income students pay for college
Expanded access to medical care and provided subsidies for people who can't afford it.
Expanded the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
Fixed the preexisting conditions travesty [and rescissions] in health insurance.
Invested in clean energy.
Saved the auto industry from collapse -- Ford, GM and Chrysler and their jobs
Credit Card Bill of Rights, stop arbitrary rate increases
Dodd-Frank bill re-regulating the financial sector.
Created the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
Increased average fuel economy standards from 27.5mpg to 35.5mpg, starting 2016
Extended Benefits to same-sex partners of federal employees
Signed financial reform law prohibiting banks from engaging in proprietary trading
Obama planned and is implementing a plan to get out of Afghanistan, bipartisan no less.
Repealed Bush era restrictions on federal funding for embryonic stem cell research
Transparency: Voluntary disclosure of White House visitors for the first time in US history
More: Launched recovery.gov to track spending from the Recovery Act

These things were not Republican priorities. They opposed, directly or indirectly, most or all of these. Few or none of these things would have occurred under a McCain-Palin administration. Mitt Romney said “Let Detroit Go Bankrupt” back when Obama was saving that industry and the jobs there.

Literally hundreds more detailed here: http://obamaachievements.org/list You may not agree with them all, but credit where it's due -- this has been one of the most active and accomplished presidencies in decades
Old May 2, '12, 11:26 pm
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:

yes, i wish him well - once he is not re-elected and is out of the White House.
i don't want him doing anymore damage than he has already done in a second term.
DO NOT BE OVERCOME BY EVIL, BUT OVERCOME EVIL WITH GOOD. ~~~ Romans 12:21
Old May 3, '12, 7:26 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Miah View Post
Here's some more to add to the above lists
Virtually everything on your list from "obamaachievements.org" is, almost without exception, something either useless, totally false or harmful. I don't think anybody, even the most conservative of people, would deny that Obama has accomplished a great deal during his presidency. He promised to profoundly change America, and he has gone a long way toward that goal. People should admit that. The question, of course, remains, whether his accomplishments are for good or for ill.

Among his accomplishments, of course, is his mandate that Catholic institutions provide contraceptive, sterilization and abortifacient insurance coverage to their employees, against conscience. He has not budged in his determination to use the power of the state to force Catholics to sin. No accomplishment of a positive nature can wipe that filth off his record.
Old May 3, '12, 7:51 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic Christian Latin Rite
Send a message via AIM to qui est ce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Virtually everything on your list from "obamaachievements.org" is, almost without exception, something either useless, totally false or harmful. I don't think anybody, even the most conservative of people, would deny that Obama has accomplished a great deal during his presidency. He promised to profoundly change America, and he has gone a long way toward that goal. People should admit that. The question, of course, remains, whether his accomplishments are for good or for ill.

Among his accomplishments, of course, is his mandate that Catholic institutions provide contraceptive, sterilization and abortifacient insurance coverage to their employees, against conscience. He has not budged in his determination to use the power of the state to force Catholics to sin. No accomplishment of a positive nature can wipe that filth off his record.
Ridge-
In another thread, I tried explaining to Jerry that the most important accomplishments of President Obama are against the teachings of our Church. I never got a reply from him. Below is the quote, for reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qui est ce View Post
Jerry, the issues you addressed are not the reason we don't like Obama. It is his anti-life stance, as Ishii has listed. In addition, Holder refused to defend Doma.

Obama intentionally chooses pro-abortion dissident Catholics into key positions. He tells the USCCB to get in "touch" with their base.

Obama either has no clue on what the Church teaches, or he is ruthless in his zeal to divide and destroy the Church.

Our Church teaches us that abortion and euthanasia are non-negotiable. We cannot vote for a person who defends and approves of abortion. We cannot vote for a person who believes a child born from a "botched" abortion should be left to die. Our Church teaches that marriage is between one man and one woman for life.

You are on a Catholic forum. Maybe you can learn something about what the Church teaches and be a little more respectful of the Catholic position on the things you bring up.

If you have issues with Church teaching, please bring them up in the Apologetics threads.

As for banning "torture" I believe that is debatable. The "torture" on those who killed 3,000 people on 09/11/01 is used on our own troops as training. This "torture" does not leave them maimed or dead. Obama has been killing people with remote control Drones. They are left dead.

Are you against the death penalty?
Old May 3, '12, 8:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post

-Tim-
An LX
Old May 3, '12, 8:31 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by qui est ce View Post
Ridge-
In another thread, I tried explaining to Jerry that the most important accomplishments of President Obama are against the teachings of our Church. I never got a reply from him. Below is the quote, for reference.
To a true disciple of Obama, no negative fact or argument is sufficient. It's a religion all its own. It's almost amusing (and perhaps salubrious) that conservatives are now faced with the necessity of supporting Romney in order to preserve some semblance of a nation and freedom of religion; a man to whom no one ascribes virtual divinity the way liberals ascribe it to Obama.
Old May 3, '12, 8:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
conservatives are now faced with the necessity of supporting Romney
Why a necessity? He's the conservatives' Man on a White Horse.

Quote:
a man to whom no one ascribes virtual divinity the way liberals ascribe it to Obama.
Well, not until he dies according to the tenets of his faith. I think that Obama is not looked at by my fellow liberals as a god, but perhaps as one of the Prophets.
Old May 3, '12, 8:48 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

GM owes the taxpayers $132,000,000 dollars, and we think that is a success?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-500395_1...-from-bailout/

Honestly, that's like maxing out your credit cards on "stuff" and being convinced you are rich. No, you are just foolish.

I assume anyone who believes that the GM bailout saved them (if so, why are they in debt to nine digits?) is also okay with having their family's money and possessions forcibly stolen from them at gunpoint because a burglar needed the money?

You can't be okay with one and not the other.

LOL at any people who think GM is some great success. Pathetic company, pathetic solution.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News