Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 29, '12, 1:47 pm

Religion: Catholic at Easter 2012!
Default Tithing just one income of a two income household?

Hi everyone, I was received into the church this past Easter and would like my children to go to our parish school. Our parish asks that families sign a covenant to tithe 10% of their income in order for the children to attend the parish school.

My husband was not supportive of my becoming Catholic. We made an agreement between ourselves that I would tithe 10% of my income (a fraction of his) to the church. Now that I want my kids to attend the school, is that 10% of just my income ok? Does it matter that my husband is an atheist and non supportive of the Catholic? I am just trying to find any way for my kids to be able to learn and grow up in the Catholic faith.

Thanks!
Old Apr 29, '12, 3:24 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Tithing just one income of a two income household?

Only send your Catholic kids to school, and don't send any kids to school who are atheists

Maybe you could chat with the priest, or are you worried that he will require more?
Old Apr 30, '12, 9:09 pm

Religion: Catholic at Easter 2012!

I thought I would get more responses?
Old Apr 30, '12, 9:36 pm

I dunno - in Canada historically in many provinces there are 2 school systems Catholic and public. You get to choose which system your local taxes go to.

I'd talk to the priest about the problem. I'm sure he would come to some compromise.
Old May 3, '12, 5:34 am

Religion: Catholic (Ex Protestant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by medaroge View Post
Hi everyone, I was received into the church this past Easter and would like my children to go to our parish school. Our parish asks that families sign a covenant to tithe 10% of their income in order for the children to attend the parish school.

My husband was not supportive of my becoming Catholic. We made an agreement between ourselves that I would tithe 10% of my income (a fraction of his) to the church. Now that I want my kids to attend the school, is that 10% of just my income ok? Does it matter that my husband is an atheist and non supportive of the Catholic? I am just trying to find any way for my kids to be able to learn and grow up in the Catholic faith.

Thanks!
You can't expect your husband to tithe 10% to something he doesn't believe in, unless he's an oddly generous soul.

Suppose your children attended a state school, and the principal expected the parents to give 10% to the American Atheists. Your husband would probably agree, but your response would be over your dead body.

I'd just give 10% of your income to the church. If you think you can afford more, considering you are a two income family, then fine. But you'd need to discuss it with your husband, as you came to an agreement.

I came from a Protestant background. At one time there was talk of double tithing in some circles (which to me had elements of boasting with hindsight - "Look how much I give!"), and I had a discussion with the pastor, including questions about before or after tax etc. His response was that you can't give 10% of what you haven't got.

You're the one going to the church, so you tithe the 10%. If your husband becomes convinced of the truth, he can tithe then.

And between you and me, I'll be surprised if all the parents tithe the full 10%.

Some of them couldn't afford to. I know that for a fact, as I do a part time job in a church parish (government funded project though) and also do a bit of work with Vinnies. Every year there's a family or two that needs help from the St. Vincent de Paul Education Fund to buy the books and uniforms, let alone tithe to the church.
Old May 3, '12, 6:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by medaroge View Post

Thanks!
I think it gets tricky. You'll have to discuss the matter with the school I believe.

Both Catholic schools that my daughter attended in the elementary years acceptance wasn't based on a tithing amount. But to determine any financial aid was based on the combined household income, so at our former school, your husband's income would very much be considered in the equation. It might have a lot to do with how you file your taxes, jointly or as single income tax payers. So I'd talk to the school and present your unique situation. Only they can tell for certain.
Old May 9, '12, 5:36 pm

I think it would be something to discuss with the school. Chances are they will only request that you tithe on your income.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014