Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 30, '12, 12:39 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Pregnant with no insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomaMary8 View Post
This was just 4+ yrs ago. Before the current administration and the current changes to the laws...not that long ago
I thought it had been illegal for several years now, I guess not. Glad they changed that. Pregnancy should not be classified as a pre-existing condition as though it were a disease.

Viva il Papa! Long live Pope Francis!
Old Apr 30, '12, 12:57 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp1215 View Post
I thought it was illegal for insurance companies to classify pregnancy as a pre-existing condition. Or was this a long time ago?
It might vary depending on state. When we married 8 years ago, my wife and I decided to settle a little into married life before conceiving our first. Sometime later, I read the fine print on the policy we had at the time and not only would they disqualify an existing pregnancy but even subsequent pregnancies for 3 months afterward! The state of insurance was truly crazy. Something had to be done. (BTW - this was a group plan through my employer - it's not like they were trying to discourage someone signing up for insurance for the sole purpose of covering the pregnancy)

It also drives me crazy that insurance companies sell insurance that specifically excludes pregnancy coverage (at a cost 30-50% less than coverage that includes pregnancy). I think even unmarried men with no dependents should pay the same rate (not a reduced one) to subsidize the pregnancy coverage for women who are bearing the next generation.
Old Apr 30, '12, 1:06 pm

Religion: catholic

We purchased our insurance privately, and it was not a group plan. The maternity rider did not kick in until after a few months later. I did not think this was crazy as pregnancy is not an accident...we all know how it happens! We got pregnant before the maternity rider kicked in. Our choice, our actions. I never expected the insurance to cover more than what we contracted for. As my story also highlights, we did not go without medical care, we just had to pay for it with out the bother of a third party.
Old Apr 30, '12, 1:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonCatcher View Post

It also drives me crazy that insurance companies sell insurance that specifically excludes pregnancy coverage (at a cost 30-50% less than coverage that includes pregnancy). I think even unmarried men with no dependents should pay the same rate (not a reduced one) to subsidize the pregnancy coverage for women who are bearing the next generation.
I have to politely disagree

I wish my DH's company could purchase insurance for his employees w/o a maternity rider. I am the only female in need of the coverage and it would be cheaper as the business owner/provider to pay for maternity care out of pocket for just us than to buy maternity coverage for all the male employees who are either unmarried or past child bearing years. Unfortunately our state laws now prohibit any coverage not including maternity coverage as well as ABC coverage
Old Apr 30, '12, 1:31 pm

Quote:
I have to politely disagree

I wish my DH's company could purchase insurance for his employees w/o a maternity rider. I am the only female in need of the coverage and it would be cheaper as the business owner/provider to pay for maternity care out of pocket for just us than to buy maternity coverage for all the male employees who are either unmarried or past child bearing years. Unfortunately our state laws now prohibit any coverage not including maternity coverage as well as ABC coverage
Unfortunately, that policy greatly inflates the cost of insurance on those women who are of childbearing age and expecting they may become pregnant. I imagine not a few women have themselves sterilized so they can save on the cost of insurance. The philosophy violates one of the principle tenets of insurance: have the many pay into a pool so that the few who need the service can benefit. Instead, it makes it much more expensive for those few.

Funny thing is, I am a man who says that everyone should pay a little more so women can pay a lot less. I probably would have said the same even before marrying (at least, once I thought the issue through)
Old May 1, '12, 3:29 am

Quote:
We purchased our insurance privately, and it was not a group plan. The maternity rider did not kick in until after a few months later. I did not think this was crazy as pregnancy is not an accident...we all know how it happens! We got pregnant before the maternity rider kicked in. Our choice, our actions. I never expected the insurance to cover more than what we contracted for. As my story also highlights, we did not go without medical care, we just had to pay for it with out the bother of a third party.
That "bother" of a third party is essential to many. Unexpected things can happen. I was unexpectedly hospitalized for one of my pregnancies for 2 weeks prior to giving birth, then, an emergency csection. Paying out of pocket would have cost us over 60K for just care for me.. Most people cannot afford those kind of costs, even negotiated down with the hospital. My newborn son incurred $450K in costs for just 16 days of care after he was born.
Old May 1, '12, 5:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by etmom View Post
That "bother" of a third party is essential to many. Unexpected things can happen. I was unexpectedly hospitalized for one of my pregnancies for 2 weeks prior to giving birth, then, an emergency csection. Paying out of pocket would have cost us over 60K for just care for me.. Most people cannot afford those kind of costs, even negotiated down with the hospital. My newborn son incurred $450K in costs for just 16 days of care after he was born.
A lot of insurance companies who do not cover regular maternity care do cover emergency care or complications. That was the case with our insurance company. I paid for regular prenatal our of pocket, but they would have covered any complications.
Old May 1, '12, 5:55 am

Quote:
Unfortunately, that policy greatly inflates the cost of insurance on those women who are of childbearing age and expecting they may become pregnant. I imagine not a few women have themselves sterilized so they can save on the cost of insurance. The philosophy violates one of the principle tenets of insurance: have the many pay into a pool so that the few who need the service can benefit. Instead, it makes it much more expensive for those few.

Funny thing is, I am a man who says that everyone should pay a little more so women can pay a lot less. I probably would have said the same even before marrying (at least, once I thought the issue through)
That would not be an insurance system then, but a collective/group medical coverage paying system. I generally do not support a system that spreads the cost of coverage to all as it then results in people screaming they do not want to pay for XY and Z and insisting we pay for other medical procedures like ABC. This is the current issue we are facing.

I am not good at on-line debates, so I will bow out at this. I just was sharing my experience as one who paid out of pocket for maternity care. The point I believe was to help the OP, not re-hash the tired ol' debate of health care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etmom View Post
Again, I do not wish to debate this subject, but will note that I did urge the OP to make sure she has medical coverage for her newborn. If her newborn does face medical issue, as your child AND mine did, coverage will kick in at birth. Maternity/prenatal care is a separate coverage from newborn/dependent coverage.

God bless
Old May 1, '12, 10:53 am

Quote:
That would not be an insurance system then, but a collective/group medical coverage paying system. I generally do not support a system that spreads the cost of coverage to all as it then results in people screaming they do not want to pay for XY and Z and insisting we pay for other medical procedures like ABC. This is the current issue we are facing.
I admit my line of thinking is not mainstream. I see pregnancy and birth as a good that benefits the whole of society, not a mere lifestyle choice. Since all society benefits from the children born, it is responsible for assisting the parents of those children in every way reasonable. True, the parents need to bear a particular portion of the cost. However, as the full cost has become quite unreasonable, it is quite reasonable to expect society to pick up the remainder. The parents, likewise, assist with the costs of others, as will the children when they grow.

Quote:
I am not good at on-line debates, so I will bow out at this. I just was sharing my experience as one who paid out of pocket for maternity care. The point I believe was to help the OP, not re-hash the tired ol' debate of health care.
I don't care for them much, myself. I saw this as a friendly discussion where we simply share our views. I have a heated debate going on in another thread, which is more than enough for me.

Quote:
God bless
God bless you, too.
Old May 3, '12, 12:15 pm

Quote:
I admit my line of thinking is not mainstream. I see pregnancy and birth as a good that benefits the whole of society, not a mere lifestyle choice. Since all society benefits from the children born, it is responsible for assisting the parents of those children in every way reasonable. True, the parents need to bear a particular portion of the cost. However, as the full cost has become quite unreasonable, it is quite reasonable to expect society to pick up the remainder. The parents, likewise, assist with the costs of others, as will the children when they grow.

I don't care for them much, myself. I saw this as a friendly discussion where we simply share our views. I have a heated debate going on in another thread, which is more than enough for me.

God bless you, too.
Thank you John! I wish more people believed as you, but unfortunately not all have their heads on as straight. I already get people telling me we have too many and I fear a time when my children will be penalized for having a large family if not out right prevented to do so. I do like friendly discussions, but I rarely have time to type on a message board so I do not like to get involved in debates. I just wanted to warn you that I couldn't keep up on a long running discussion.

blessings to you!

Mary
Old May 8, '12, 3:57 am
Trial Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisbeautiful View Post
A lot of insurance companies who do not cover regular maternity care do cover emergency care or complications. That was the case with our insurance company. I paid for regular prenatal our of pocket, but they would have covered any complications.
Thank fully, we got a cover. Just searched for a good quote. And it did not hurt my pocket. Glad the wonderful event was through without a major financial worry.
Old May 8, '12, 4:58 am

Religion: Thank you POPE BENEDICT XVI We LOVE YOU! GOD BLESS YOU.
Lightbulb Re: Pregnant with no insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalo View Post

Old May 12, '12, 10:55 pm
Banned

Women gave birth without hospitals for millions of years. How about looking into local midwives and a planned home birth? Lots cheaper than the hospital, no unecessary interventions, and just as safe or safer for a normal low-risk pregnancy.

Mine was $1500 inclusive of all prenatal care and two postpartum visits in Montana nine years ago.

Last edited by JacarandaPurple; May 12, '12 at 11:10 pm.
Old May 13, '12, 7:58 pm

Religion: Lutheran converting to Catholicism

I've had both of my children without health insurance. We will be paying on the first one for several years. We applied for hardship assistance, and received write-offs or discounts from the hospital, ultrasound people, and the anesthesiologist, but my OB refused to work with us so we are slowly paying him off. In total, we've been paying on about $7,000 out of about $18,000.

With my second, I went to a free Catholic clinic, which specializes in pregnancy, for the first 30 weeks, and then transferred my care to a midwife. The midwife charged me $4,000 for everything: 11 weeks of prenatal care, labor and delivery, and 8 weeks of postpartum care and support. I am done paying them off.

I must note that not only was the midwife more affordable, she also took much better care of me and my son and my second pregnancy and birth were so much better thanks to them.
Old May 15, '12, 11:11 pm
Observing Member

HIPAA laws prevent your pregnancy from being a pre-existing condition on applications for disability insurance through your employer. You should look up short term disability, long term disability and term life insurance quotes on an aggregator websites to help with your search. It'll help you get an understanding of what's out there, especially if you feel you need to buy your own coverage at this time. What does become a complication is the fact that it is troublesome when pregnancy does cause other related conditions, like gestational diabetes. Visiting your local community center to find out ways in which to arrange coverage for lesser is also a good idea.

Pat Cassidy
Disclaimer: I work for AccuQuote and this is my personal opinion.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting