Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old May 2, '12, 7:43 am
Banned

Religion: Christian
Default Re: Protestants down to 52% from 60%..Hike........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
I'm hoping that this same kind of thing happens in the United Methodist Church. A few years back, the Confessing Movement within that denomination deferred plans to split away and form a conservative Methodist church that holds to the original teachings of the Methodist church and rejects the liberal theology and liberal social issues (e.g., condoning abortion, welcoming homosexual pastors, encouraging homosexuals to continue to practice their homosexuality, etc.)

I'm not sure when the next UMC convention is, but I'm really hoping that the group will split. I can't understand how Christians can sit for week after week in a UMC and listen to the fallacies being upheld from the pulpit.
If I'm not mistaken the General Conference of the UMC, held every four years, is meeting now - or very soon.

True, the UMC is severely split over one issue in particular: how to handle homosexuality. This includes two main questions: ordaining practicing gays and marrying gay couples, Plus whether to label homosexual behavior as inconsistent with Christian teaching. The conservative position likely will win because of Methodist strength in the midwest and south, where is has the largest numbers.

The genius of various Protestant denominations is that people of diverse views on matters of faith sit side by side week after week peacefully. Actually, the same is true among Catholics, but with a top-down government Catholics show their objection by attending mass once or twice a year, avoiding confession altogether, or simply leaving the Church to join a mainstream Protestant church or no church at all.

It was John Wesley who said 'think and let think'. He also said something to the effect that if you love God as I do, and seek to serve him as I do, let's join hands and walk together. Wouldn't it be great if all Christians had that attitude? Sadly, too many Catholic and evangelical Protestants are quite convinced that they, and they alone, have the truth.
Old May 2, '12, 12:31 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (former SBC congregant)
Question Re: Protestants down to 52% from 60%..Hike........

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbideWithMe View Post
It's so encouraging to see these expressions of brotherly love.
And your sarcasm is credited to you as "brotherly love?" You appear to have a knack for irony.
"Conversion is like stepping across the chimney piece out of a Looking-Glass world, where everything is an absurd caricature, into the real world God made; and then begins the delicious process of exploring it limitlessly." --Evelyn Waugh, writer, Catholic convert (1930)
Old May 2, '12, 2:43 pm

Religion: Catholic - Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewstew03 View Post
Then it's settled - you haven't contributed in any way to the discussion on this thread except to criticize the title of the article. Well done, tarboy.
I started a new thread with data on all US congregations.
I still feel the article in this thread was poorly written
Old May 2, '12, 5:41 pm

Religion: Catholic, Roman Rite, religious not spiritual but trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
For many Catholics (and I would say Protestants, too), this adult decision comes when children are born. People are willing to go without any religion as long as there are no little ones, but they want their children to have the experience of church
I think you've nailed it, as usual.
Old May 2, '12, 5:44 pm

Religion: Catholic, Roman Rite, religious not spiritual but trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Samson View Post
Dunno. What's up with this??

http://www.worldmag.com/articles/17478

"Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?" Luke 6:41
Apples and oranges. Your article speaks of Catholics leaving for evangelicalism, not for the world.
Old May 2, '12, 7:31 pm

Religion: Follower of Christ

It's not just the Catholic Church, its religion entirely.

Alot of people are becoming atheists these days. And I can understand why, but at the same time, its not enough to tear me from my faith. Maybe someday they will come back before its too late.
Old May 2, '12, 7:46 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Thumbs up Re: Protestants down to 52% from 60%..Hike........

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinSeed View Post
It's not just the Catholic Church, its religion entirely.

Alot of people are becoming atheists these days. And I can understand why, but at the same time, its not enough to tear me from my faith. Maybe someday they will come back before its too late.
A-to-the-men, PumpkinSeed.
"Conversion is like stepping across the chimney piece out of a Looking-Glass world, where everything is an absurd caricature, into the real world God made; and then begins the delicious process of exploring it limitlessly." --Evelyn Waugh, writer, Catholic convert (1930)
Old May 2, '12, 8:22 pm

Quote:
And your sarcasm is credited to you as "brotherly love?" You appear to have a knack for irony.
I was being ironic, but not sarcastic.
But God does not take away life; instead He devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from Him. II Samuel 14:14

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people. Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel
Old May 2, '12, 8:54 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Cool Re: Protestants down to 52% from 60%..Hike........

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbideWithMe View Post
I was being ironic, but not sarcastic.
Touché.
Old May 3, '12, 3:04 am

Religion: Catholic

I went to a few Catholic youth groups and a few Protestant ones when I was younger. Both were the same in that it was all about "socalising" and eating pizza and watching some non-offensive G rated movie. The only difference theologically between the Cath and Prot ones was teh Protestant ones I went to often ranted against the Catholic Church. The Catholic ones hardly showed themselves as Catholic.

I stopped bothering with those groups as they were simply another social outlet, I might as well have been going to a Star Trek club or something.

What I really wanted was to know my faith, know what it taught, know how to share it, know how to answer the tough questions. I found all those answers online, which is a shame, because as Christians we're not meant to act in isolation.

I think both Catholics and Protestants alike who run these groups need to know, from at elast my perspective, my generation wants the conservative answers and the truth, we're sick of the over sexed, over hyped, rubbish our secular society is spreading. This society has left us empty, and going to some pizza/video night at a Church doesn't feed us any more than the same event at an atheists' club.
Old May 3, '12, 5:32 am

Quote:
Touché.
Stewstew---

I really am sorry that it felt to you like I was being destructive/cutting/sarcastic rather than trying to use irony with constructive intent.

If I had said what I meant in a straight manner instead of saying the opposite in irony, I just would have said, "I think you're being a little hard on tarboy after he's apologized, and it's discouraging to see an instance of that among brothers"; I wouldn't have said "Stewstew, you're really mean and a horrible person, and a poor excuse for a Christian." The first is, to me, constructive---I know I value times when someone on the internet lets me know how others might feel about something I've said carelessly.

Peace
But God does not take away life; instead He devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from Him. II Samuel 14:14

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people. Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel
Old May 3, '12, 7:02 am

Religion: Protestant

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimine View Post
I think one of the big problems is that our approach is wrong. It's not the music and so on, it's that we're so busy marketing church and trying to be "hip" that we give the impression that religion is just another social activity to fit in to a busy schedule.
Not that you are saying otherwise, but marketing is not in and of itself bad. I think the only way to market church is to be honest. For the life of me I can't imagine why a church would be afraid to market itself truthfully. I think many churches have gone the way of covering the truth. This has been true for some time. The truth of Hell and condemnation of sin has disappeared from many pulpits. I think many of the unchurched are wary that churches want to trick them in for their money. Trying to be hip will not attract those folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vera dicere View Post
I think both Catholics and Protestants alike who run these groups need to know, from at elast my perspective, my generation wants the conservative answers and the truth, we're sick of the over sexed, over hyped, rubbish our secular society is spreading. This society has left us empty, and going to some pizza/video night at a Church doesn't feed us any more than the same event at an atheists' club.
I hope this is true about your generation! But I agree that if there is no discernible difference between the church event and the atheist event then the church will eventually die out. It as if some folks never heard the words of Jesus 'for the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light'. If the church doesn't have something metaphysical to offer then it will lose the fight.
Old May 3, '12, 12:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Samson View Post
Dunno. What's up with this??

http://www.worldmag.com/articles/17478

"Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?" Luke 6:41
Unfortunately many Catholics have left the church or rarely ever practice their faith. Secularism draws people,especially young people.
Old May 3, '12, 3:10 pm

Religion: Lutheran
Send a message via Skype™ to IggyAntiochus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicea325 View Post
Unfortunately many Catholics have left the church or rarely ever practice their faith. Secularism draws people,especially young people.
Luke 8:4-15, my brother.
Old May 3, '12, 3:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyAntiochus View Post
Luke 8:4-15, my brother.
Very true! Excelllent verses. I also l 1 Cor: 2.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions