Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 26, '12, 12:53 pm

Religion: catholic
Default Re: How many kids...

Four, with at least one girl. But my ideal number isn't completely up to me - God, DH, age, fertility issues, health issues, economic issues, and other factors come into play.
Old Apr 26, '12, 5:10 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomaMary8 View Post
What about St. Anne?? the mother of Mary...Jesus' "grandmother" should have some kind of pull!

I honestly don't understand the question We have 10 kids and are very blessed.
I know you are blessed! I have 2 sons and wish I had more, thus - I could have more grandchildren.
Old Apr 28, '12, 1:08 pm

Religion: Catholic

Zero. And after my miscarriage, doctors say I can't have any other children. So I have 2 cute cats instead. God knew what he was doing for sure.

Old Apr 30, '12, 12:39 pm

3 was our ideal number before we got married.

Now we have 2 and I'm thinking I'd like 4, after all. At least.
Old May 3, '12, 6:24 pm

If I could I would have 12. Seriously, a nice dozen.

My husband and I haven't been able to have children yet so I think I'd feel extremely blessed if God just gave us one.
Old May 6, '12, 10:56 am

I wanted to have 6 and be a stay-at-home mom. But during my first marriage, I started using ABC essentially as self-defense after 2 kids. (Yes, it was really that bad, and no, I couldn't have left him before I did.)

I don't know if that affected anything, but I am remarried and we have been open to life for a few years now. Currently no more babies are forthcoming, but hopefully that will change soon.
Old May 6, '12, 11:22 am

If it was up to me, I wouldn't of had a child. Though I love my son, I never had motherly instincts and probably never will have them. I won't have anymore children because of this. I was told things would be different when I had my own child, but that ended up being not the case. I was told that babies grow up fast but that's not true at all, I feel like it's going at a snail's pace.
Old May 6, '12, 11:46 am

I re-read what I wrote and I didn't mean for the last sentence to rhyme like that. I actually got a little laugh out of it and I haven't laughed in a long time.
Old May 6, '12, 12:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapis View Post
I re-read what I wrote and I didn't mean for the last sentence to rhyme like that. I actually got a little laugh out of it and I haven't laughed in a long time.
I don't mean to but in or give medical advice, but you sound a bit like I felt when I was in the throes of postpartum depression. It could be something to look into.

I felt that way too, and thought I'd probably never have another child - they might end up motherless if I commit suicide. Then I got pregnant and the hormones changed and I never felt that way again. It was the weirdest thing.

I'm not suggesting you get pregnant, just that sometimes the "merely" physical aspect of our being really heavily influences our thoughts, feelings, and actions. Even our worldviews and philosophies.

God bless.
Old May 6, '12, 4:55 pm

Religion: Half-way Catholic

Quote:
If it was up to me, I wouldn't of had a child. Though I love my son, I never had motherly instincts and probably never will have them. I won't have anymore children because of this. I was told things would be different when I had my own child, but that ended up being not the case. I was told that babies grow up fast but that's not true at all, I feel like it's going at a snail's pace.
I'll say a quick prayer for you, Lapis. I went through a time of regret many years back after I had my first couple of children. Many of my friends had finished college and started careers and there I was stuck with kids to take care of. Maybe you are going through something similar. Depression may have something to do with it.

Anyways, if it was completely up to me, I'd have a dozen, if not more. Kids are the greatest blessing that you will ever have. I'm 33 and am expecting my 6th in September. My greatest concern is for my husband who is 10 years older than me, and he does not take very good care of himself. I can handle lots more kids, but he may not be able to.
Old May 6, '12, 6:58 pm

I was very unhappy after my first.

We decided to have a second, because I strongly felt a child should have at least one sibling, if it was at all feasible.

I am so happy we did- it's easier, imo, with two.

I'm starting to LOVE having them. I'm enjoying them SO MUCH more now- partly, I know now I don't really care for babies, but enjoy older kids. I like it when they can discuss things with you. I like that they can care for themselves, and want me for learning and love. I want to yell at God and say LOOK WHAT YOU HAVE ALLOWED ME TO DO! ARE THEY NOT AWESOME!!!!

At the moment, no other considerations withstanding, I'd like about 8!
Old May 8, '12, 4:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litcrit View Post
I don't mean to but in or give medical advice, but you sound a bit like I felt when I was in the throes of postpartum depression. It could be something to look into.

I felt that way too, and thought I'd probably never have another child - they might end up motherless if I commit suicide. Then I got pregnant and the hormones changed and I never felt that way again. It was the weirdest thing.

I'm not suggesting you get pregnant, just that sometimes the "merely" physical aspect of our being really heavily influences our thoughts, feelings, and actions. Even our worldviews and philosophies.

God bless.
I definitely know, that would be a huge mistake having another child. I cannot do it again. I can't put myself in the position to do it again. I would never want to do it again. But in your case, you probably wanted children before your first, but in my case, I never did. People told me I would change my feelings but I didn't. I don't do the things with my child that a loving mother does with their children. And it's really sad because my son shouldn't have to grow up like this but I can't get myself to be a mother and mothers day doesn't mean anything to me because I don't consider myself a mother.
Old May 11, '12, 3:09 pm

Lapis, it's so sad to hear you are finding motherhood so difficult. How old is your son?
Old May 12, '12, 8:01 am

We currently have four. Oldest is my stepson. I'd love to have eight or ten, but not sure if that's possible with my husband's medical condition.
Old May 12, '12, 8:45 am

Quote:
I definitely know, that would be a huge mistake having another child. I cannot do it again. I can't put myself in the position to do it again. I would never want to do it again. But in your case, you probably wanted children before your first, but in my case, I never did. People told me I would change my feelings but I didn't. I don't do the things with my child that a loving mother does with their children. And it's really sad because my son shouldn't have to grow up like this but I can't get myself to be a mother and mothers day doesn't mean anything to me because I don't consider myself a mother.
Emmar? this is really concerning. I will add you to my prayers
quote from Lapis " I don't do the things with my child that a loving mother does with their children. And it's really sad because my son shouldn't have to grow up like this but I can't get myself to be a mother and mothers day doesn't mean anything to me because I don't consider myself a mother." please if not for yourself for your son go talk to a doctor and counselor about this. your husband and family needs to know about these feelings as well. I have suffered from depression too I say this with empathy.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting