Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #31  
Old Apr 26, '12, 12:53 pm
aloe's Avatar
aloe aloe is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: October 8, 2011
Posts: 378
Religion: catholic
Default Re: How many kids...

Four, with at least one girl. But my ideal number isn't completely up to me - God, DH, age, fertility issues, health issues, economic issues, and other factors come into play.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old Apr 26, '12, 5:10 pm
TheRealJuliane TheRealJuliane is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 11, 2010
Posts: 19,026
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: How many kids...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomaMary8 View Post
What about St. Anne?? the mother of Mary...Jesus' "grandmother" should have some kind of pull!

I honestly don't understand the question We have 10 kids and are very blessed.
I know you are blessed! I have 2 sons and wish I had more, thus - I could have more grandchildren.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old Apr 28, '12, 1:08 pm
CountrySinger's Avatar
CountrySinger CountrySinger is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 27, 2009
Posts: 1,809
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How many kids...

Zero. And after my miscarriage, doctors say I can't have any other children. So I have 2 cute cats instead. God knew what he was doing for sure.
__________________






Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old Apr 30, '12, 12:39 pm
Litcrit Litcrit is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 30, 2008
Posts: 1,137
Default Re: How many kids...

3 was our ideal number before we got married.

Now we have 2 and I'm thinking I'd like 4, after all. At least.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old May 3, '12, 6:24 pm
catholicanne's Avatar
catholicanne catholicanne is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 22, 2012
Posts: 601
Default Re: How many kids...

If I could I would have 12. Seriously, a nice dozen.

My husband and I haven't been able to have children yet so I think I'd feel extremely blessed if God just gave us one.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old May 6, '12, 10:56 am
AthenaC AthenaC is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: December 4, 2011
Posts: 792
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How many kids...

I wanted to have 6 and be a stay-at-home mom. But during my first marriage, I started using ABC essentially as self-defense after 2 kids. (Yes, it was really that bad, and no, I couldn't have left him before I did.)

I don't know if that affected anything, but I am remarried and we have been open to life for a few years now. Currently no more babies are forthcoming, but hopefully that will change soon.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old May 6, '12, 11:22 am
Lapis Lapis is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: December 31, 2010
Posts: 20
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How many kids...

If it was up to me, I wouldn't of had a child. Though I love my son, I never had motherly instincts and probably never will have them. I won't have anymore children because of this. I was told things would be different when I had my own child, but that ended up being not the case. I was told that babies grow up fast but that's not true at all, I feel like it's going at a snail's pace.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old May 6, '12, 11:46 am
Lapis Lapis is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: December 31, 2010
Posts: 20
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How many kids...

I re-read what I wrote and I didn't mean for the last sentence to rhyme like that. I actually got a little laugh out of it and I haven't laughed in a long time.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old May 6, '12, 12:10 pm
Litcrit Litcrit is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 30, 2008
Posts: 1,137
Default Re: How many kids...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapis View Post
I re-read what I wrote and I didn't mean for the last sentence to rhyme like that. I actually got a little laugh out of it and I haven't laughed in a long time.
I don't mean to but in or give medical advice, but you sound a bit like I felt when I was in the throes of postpartum depression. It could be something to look into.

I felt that way too, and thought I'd probably never have another child - they might end up motherless if I commit suicide. Then I got pregnant and the hormones changed and I never felt that way again. It was the weirdest thing.

I'm not suggesting you get pregnant, just that sometimes the "merely" physical aspect of our being really heavily influences our thoughts, feelings, and actions. Even our worldviews and philosophies.

God bless.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old May 6, '12, 4:55 pm
MrsFlapjack MrsFlapjack is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 1, 2012
Posts: 150
Religion: Half-way Catholic
Default Re: How many kids...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapis View Post
If it was up to me, I wouldn't of had a child. Though I love my son, I never had motherly instincts and probably never will have them. I won't have anymore children because of this. I was told things would be different when I had my own child, but that ended up being not the case. I was told that babies grow up fast but that's not true at all, I feel like it's going at a snail's pace.
I'll say a quick prayer for you, Lapis. I went through a time of regret many years back after I had my first couple of children. Many of my friends had finished college and started careers and there I was stuck with kids to take care of. Maybe you are going through something similar. Depression may have something to do with it.

Anyways, if it was completely up to me, I'd have a dozen, if not more. Kids are the greatest blessing that you will ever have. I'm 33 and am expecting my 6th in September. My greatest concern is for my husband who is 10 years older than me, and he does not take very good care of himself. I can handle lots more kids, but he may not be able to.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old May 6, '12, 6:58 pm
Aggies08 Aggies08 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 3, 2012
Posts: 857
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How many kids...

I was very unhappy after my first.

We decided to have a second, because I strongly felt a child should have at least one sibling, if it was at all feasible.

I am so happy we did- it's easier, imo, with two.

I'm starting to LOVE having them. I'm enjoying them SO MUCH more now- partly, I know now I don't really care for babies, but enjoy older kids. I like it when they can discuss things with you. I like that they can care for themselves, and want me for learning and love. I want to yell at God and say LOOK WHAT YOU HAVE ALLOWED ME TO DO! ARE THEY NOT AWESOME!!!!

At the moment, no other considerations withstanding, I'd like about 8!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old May 8, '12, 4:40 pm
Lapis Lapis is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: December 31, 2010
Posts: 20
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How many kids...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litcrit View Post
I don't mean to but in or give medical advice, but you sound a bit like I felt when I was in the throes of postpartum depression. It could be something to look into.

I felt that way too, and thought I'd probably never have another child - they might end up motherless if I commit suicide. Then I got pregnant and the hormones changed and I never felt that way again. It was the weirdest thing.

I'm not suggesting you get pregnant, just that sometimes the "merely" physical aspect of our being really heavily influences our thoughts, feelings, and actions. Even our worldviews and philosophies.

God bless.
I definitely know, that would be a huge mistake having another child. I cannot do it again. I can't put myself in the position to do it again. I would never want to do it again. But in your case, you probably wanted children before your first, but in my case, I never did. People told me I would change my feelings but I didn't. I don't do the things with my child that a loving mother does with their children. And it's really sad because my son shouldn't have to grow up like this but I can't get myself to be a mother and mothers day doesn't mean anything to me because I don't consider myself a mother.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old May 11, '12, 3:09 pm
Chorister1980 Chorister1980 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: March 8, 2012
Posts: 60
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How many kids...

Lapis, it's so sad to hear you are finding motherhood so difficult. How old is your son?
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old May 12, '12, 8:01 am
catholic_rn catholic_rn is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: May 12, 2012
Posts: 52
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How many kids...

We currently have four. Oldest is my stepson. I'd love to have eight or ten, but not sure if that's possible with my husband's medical condition.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old May 12, '12, 8:45 am
Rita77 Rita77 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 22, 2011
Posts: 523
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How many kids...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapis View Post
I definitely know, that would be a huge mistake having another child. I cannot do it again. I can't put myself in the position to do it again. I would never want to do it again. But in your case, you probably wanted children before your first, but in my case, I never did. People told me I would change my feelings but I didn't. I don't do the things with my child that a loving mother does with their children. And it's really sad because my son shouldn't have to grow up like this but I can't get myself to be a mother and mothers day doesn't mean anything to me because I don't consider myself a mother.
Emmar? this is really concerning. I will add you to my prayers
quote from Lapis " I don't do the things with my child that a loving mother does with their children. And it's really sad because my son shouldn't have to grow up like this but I can't get myself to be a mother and mothers day doesn't mean anything to me because I don't consider myself a mother." please if not for yourself for your son go talk to a doctor and counselor about this. your husband and family needs to know about these feelings as well. I have suffered from depression too I say this with empathy.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8457Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: suko
5143CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4424Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3863SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3735Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3320Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3283Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
3224Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3109For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: RevDrJBTDDPhD



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 3:18 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.