Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 3, '12, 1:35 pm
Banned

Religion: Ronin Catholic
Default Re: Need Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith1960 View Post
I'm in the middle of a thread on the Non-Catholic subforum about the human mind. What is is, how the mind is not the brain, etc. This conversation is way over my head. Can someone help my understand this topic better because while I'm no neuroscientist, I am still well aware that without my brain I can do nothing. I couldn't think, walk, type or recognize myself in a mirror. I couldn't even LIVE without it. Maybe basic, simple Philosophy 101?

PET scans show when the brain is active and in thought which further seems to indicate that thought comes from the brain. How can it not? Or are we to believe that all of neuroscience and all they've learned about the brain wrong, simply because Aquinas and other philosophers stated otherwise, centuries ago?
It could be said that mortal mind and the brain are one. The question might be better framed by asking "who is th perceiver of thoughts?" "Who is the witness?" That starts to go in a useful direction for discovering something pragmatic.
Old May 3, '12, 6:37 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaber View Post
It could be said that mortal mind and the brain are one. The question might be better framed by asking "who is th perceiver of thoughts?" "Who is the witness?" That starts to go in a useful direction for discovering something pragmatic.

Sorry, but I'm lost. Can you explain?

"I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me." Philippians 4:13
Old May 4, '12, 5:53 am
Banned

Religion: Ronin Catholic

Quote:
Sorry, but I'm lost. Can you explain?
Im not surprised. You are in the same boat with most people. I can't explain o much a I might t you in a directioon, because this is about aiia answe, and no one do that for you.

Let's put it this way: History is usually presented to us in a linear fashion. This not exaxtly how things happen, though. Things were known and lost and fod against lost. But the last bits we know about, some major losses an the pocess of re-learning, we know bit about. What is injersing relatve to your question is that the religions we know toina tie of loss and deloped along with some things that were regained.

So we have Christianity coto ua time of great barbarism, during the Roman empire, where thins fooe were sod that is verttle wonthat seemed that death was the only hope of escape. Things were harshly material, and things didn't improve much for ages. And there wasomch known d, asuch exept by a vey few people. Jesus certainly had to be one of those. But those around Him weren't so savy. He said so Himself. So we have this incredibly accurate teaching put into the hands of people at time when maybe they really aren't ready for it, hence the parables, because those take into account levels of comphension, being stories and be a sort of time capsul.

But what those have to do with is inner awareness, somehing only begining to be even recognzed by science and only partly understod by the Church as an institution. It's mystics and contemplatves understood it to a large degree, but even they were not kindly taken to by the Church. And today we have these mind/brain studies that of tell us things, but still, using new etch, in a sort of stone age, bronze age, or steampunk way. They look at surfaces, trying to see insides. It can't happn, and that is the failure of science.

Since experice is subjetive, even of things we mistakenly call "objective" as a necessary covenience of our mode of prception, science can't ldirectly at experience. Nher does the institutional Church have much of a sueful protocol for doing so. It prescribes and proscribes, but doesn't tell us much in the crunch of need to know about awareness itself. The questions I eadiosed are a direct way of discovery of the answers to the questions about mind and brain.
Old May 4, '12, 6:32 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Most people have thought what? That the mind (soul) doesn't exist apart from the brain or that we can't be Christians if we don't believe this?
Most Christians have typically thought that an immaterial element exists in human beings called a mind or a soul that cannot be reduced to simply the purely physical brain. I think there are good reasons for thinking that the soul exists and that the mind is not equivelant to the brain.

But, as I have said, some Christian philosophers have thought that there is a way to deny that the soul exists and still have this be compatible with Christian beliefs on eternal life and the Resurrection of the body.

http://thesparkandtheflame.blogspot.com/

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy