Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 13, '12, 6:44 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Tithing

Hello, I hope this is the right forum for this question, if not, I am sorry to bother anyone.
Quick questions: what is the opinion of tithing on a lump sum life insurance that one would receive? Would it be ok to give a substantial amount but not tithe?
thanks to anyone who will take the time to answer, and God bless!
Jennifer
Old Apr 13, '12, 7:23 pm

Default Re: Tithing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen66 View Post
Hello, I hope this is the right forum for this question, if not, I am sorry to bother anyone.
Quick questions: what is the opinion of tithing on a lump sum life insurance that one would receive? Would it be ok to give a substantial amount but not tithe?
Jennifer

Tithing is a old practice back the day when the church owned a baron of land in the middle ages and the like. Its also when they ended where the separation of church and state came from. since the church was forbidden from owning land as a government entity if foreign powers.

The commandments of the church requires you to give something but not how much.
Old Apr 13, '12, 7:54 pm

Thank you very much, Kithrus!
Old Apr 15, '12, 8:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithrus View Post
Tithing is a old practice back the day when the church owned a baron of land in the middle ages and the like. Its also when they ended where the separation of church and state came from. since the church was forbidden from owning land as a government entity if foreign powers.

The commandments of the church requires you to give something but not how much.
Errrrrrrrrrrr. That is not correct.

The practice goes back not to the middle ages, but to the old testament. As a part of the Jewish law, it was not transfered to the christian churches. (Much in the manner of not eating pork.) It has nothing to do with church-state relations. I'm not sure I even know what the sentence "since the church was forbidden from owning land as a government entity if foreign powers." means.

To the OP:
You may of course, practice tithing yourself. It is certainly not a bad practice. A good number of christians still consider it a good benchmark for giving. You do have considerable freedom in determining your own works of charity. The more the merrier!
Old Apr 15, '12, 8:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabone View Post
Errrrrrrrrrrr. That is not correct.

The practice goes back not to the middle ages, but to the old testament. As a part of the Jewish law, it was not transferred to the christian churches. (Much in the manner of not eating pork.) It has nothing to do with church-state relations. I'm not sure I even know what the sentence "since the church was forbidden from owning land as a government entity if foreign powers." means.

To the OP:
You may of course, practice tithing yourself. It is certainly not a bad practice. A good number of Christians still consider it a good benchmark for giving. You do have considerable freedom in determining your own works of charity. The more the merrier!
In not 'if' sorry.
Old Apr 27, '12, 12:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen66 View Post
Jennifer
If by "tithe" you mean donate to the Church 10%, that is not a Catholic practice. Forget this 10% obsession, it's quite protestant. If you want to give 10%, certainly no one is going to stop you. But when you get into the "tithe" issues there are more complications: pre-tax or post-tax dollars? Lottery or gambling winnings? Gifts or inheritances? 10 percent to THE CHURCH itself...or to ANY charities...or to only strictly Catholic charities? (Not your local zoo for example, unless perhaps, as may occasionally be the case, your local parish resembles your local zoo, tee hee). BOTTOM LINE: The Church requires we contribute to the support of our parish and the Church to the reasonable degree we are able. In all other matters of financial charity and family budgeting, it trusts us to use our judgment.
Old Apr 27, '12, 8:59 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
If by "tithe" you mean donate to the Church 10%, that is not a Catholic practice. Forget this 10% obsession, it's quite protestant. If you want to give 10%, certainly no one is going to stop you. But when you get into the "tithe" issues there are more complications: pre-tax or post-tax dollars? Lottery or gambling winnings? Gifts or inheritances? 10 percent to THE CHURCH itself...or to ANY charities...or to only strictly Catholic charities? (Not your local zoo for example, unless perhaps, as may occasionally be the case, your local parish resembles your local zoo, tee hee). BOTTOM LINE: The Church requires we contribute to the support of our parish and the Church to the reasonable degree we are able. In all other matters of financial charity and family budgeting, it trusts us to use our judgment.
AMEN!!!!!!!!!

pray the Rosary now - http://www.comepraytherosary.org/
Old Apr 28, '12, 6:43 am

I find the 10% "rule" that protestants require to be quite scary.

I work in an office of bankruptcy trustees. I've regularly seen families of limited means with a number of children tithing almost $1,000 to their church per month (!)

Being in bankruptcy doesn't stop them from tithing, but it does make it more difficult. Basically they're usually left with less money than before, no credit, but still have to pay their tithing. (note: I'm in Canada, every country has different bankruptcy laws)

I don't ask what their denomination is, as it's really none of my business, but I always feel bad for them. If I try to (carefully/cautiously) approach the topic of tithing less they politely, yet forcefully, make it clear that is not an option.

To be fair to our Protestant brothers, I don't know if these people have advised their Ministers about their credit problems, their bankruptcy, or the effect that tithing has on their budget. Maybe if the Ministers knew about these issues, they'd be allowed to tithe less, I really don't know.

And again, to be fair to Protestants, I only see people when their finances are messed up. I'm sure that most Protestants have no problem tithing 10% because they've just found a way to work it into their budgets.

Regardless, the ones that I deal with make me sad.
Old May 4, '12, 9:42 am

Religion: Catholic (Knight in the 3rd Degree)

I'm not sure what is normal but we give an hour's pay each (wife and I ) week in the collection. We also donate to various charities and give extra when asked by the Church. We donate time to church fundraising activities as well.

I've heard many people who don't really have much to give. I would ask the parrish office is there any jobs that need to be done around the church and volunteer time if can't afford a money donation.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014