Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 4, '12, 11:27 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is it wrong to use Planned Parenthood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonAndLime View Post
Doesn't really answer it. But at least you acknowledge the truth, what others have refused to mention - the free clinics constantly being referred to as a definate alternative may not accept her.
She asked for alternatives, posters gave her options. I didn't realize when somebody asks for advice on CAF that the answers had to come with a 100% guarantee of success. By your line of thinking, nobody should have offered the alternatives unless they were 100% sure that they would see the OP. And nobody can determine that except the OP when she calls up the alternatives and gives her personal medical history and insurance history. It seems to me the people that did offer the alternatives have at least some personal experience with the choices they offered.

The point being, the OP does seem to have a moral conflict with PP, some seem to be telling her to forget even looking into any other option because there's no guarantee they would work. I think a catholic message board has the responsibility to always give advice that follows Church teachings, which in this case is to avoid PP as much as humanly is possible. She should exhaust all the possibilities, ALL the possiblities before accepting that PP is her one and only option. I would bet good money its not the one and only option.

To the OP, one bit of advice that I'm not sure anyone gave is to call up your local Catholic Charities office. You do not have to be Catholic for them to assist you but I'm sure they've run into other people in similar or the same situation as you find yourself in and can direct you to a clinic that can assist you. Sometimes they even can offer some financial assistance in case by case scenerios.
Old May 4, '12, 11:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonAndLime View Post
Doesn't really answer it. But at least you acknowledge the truth, what others have refused to mention - the free clinics constantly being referred to as a definate alternative may not accept her.
Or the truth may be they will accept.
Old May 4, '12, 12:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyedLady View Post
Not true. So many free clinics are underfunded and over demanded. Sometimes there just isn't enough money or hours in the day to help everyone. That's something that all charitable organizations struggle with.
Do you understand what the phrase "able to assist" means? If a given clinic is indeed underfunded or over demanded, they may be unable to assist. Even Planned Parenthood's clinic is vulnerable to this situation (although less so, since they receive hundreds of millions of dollars annually).

LemonAndLime saw the same phrase and took it more strongly than I had intended.

If a person (such as the OP) wants to compose a list of free and low-cost clinics to approach for assistance and prioritize them according to their own personal preferences so that PP winds up on the bottom of that list, we should not criticize her for doing so, nor berate those who are attempting to help her compose such a list.
Old May 4, '12, 12:21 pm

Religion: Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonCatcher View Post
Do you understand what the phrase "able to assist" means? If a given clinic is indeed underfunded or over demanded, they may be unable to assist. Even Planned Parenthood's clinic is vulnerable to this situation (although less so, since they receive hundreds of millions of dollars annually).

LemonAndLime saw the same phrase and took it more strongly than I had intended.

If a person (such as the OP) wants to compose a list of free and low-cost clinics to approach for assistance and prioritize them according to their own personal preferences so that PP winds up on the bottom of that list, we should not criticize her for doing so, nor berate those who are attempting to help her compose such a list.
Never did I criticize or berate anyone for coming up with alternatives.

I criticized the people saying that under no circumstances should she go to PP, even if it means her health. When you're broke and sick you have to go where you can and you don't deserve to be made to feel bad about that.
Old May 4, '12, 2:23 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:

I criticized the people saying that under no circumstances should she go to PP, even if it means her health. When you're broke and sick you have to go where you can and you don't deserve to be made to feel bad about that.
Old May 4, '12, 2:42 pm

Quote:

Unfortunately, you presented yourself as dismissive of or even hostile toward the alternative clinics.

The little Sanger debate probably didn't help the neutrality of the discussion either (one reason why I avoided it).
Old May 4, '12, 4:35 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriceA View Post
She asked for alternatives, posters gave her options. I didn't realize when somebody asks for advice on CAF that the answers had to come with a 100% guarantee of success. By your line of thinking, nobody should have offered the alternatives unless they were 100% sure that they would see the OP. And nobody can determine that except the OP when she calls up the alternatives and gives her personal medical history and insurance history. It seems to me the people that did offer the alternatives have at least some personal experience with the choices they offered.

The point being, the OP does seem to have a moral conflict with PP, some seem to be telling her to forget even looking into any other option because there's no guarantee they would work. I think a catholic message board has the responsibility to always give advice that follows Church teachings, which in this case is to avoid PP as much as humanly is possible. She should exhaust all the possibilities, ALL the possiblities before accepting that PP is her one and only option. I would bet good money its not the one and only option.

To the OP, one bit of advice that I'm not sure anyone gave is to call up your local Catholic Charities office. You do not have to be Catholic for them to assist you but I'm sure they've run into other people in similar or the same situation as you find yourself in and can direct you to a clinic that can assist you. Sometimes they even can offer some financial assistance in case by case scenerios.

This thread and the attitudes of some Catholics is depressing.

Viva il Papa! Long live Pope Francis!
Old May 4, '12, 4:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp1215 View Post

This thread and the attitudes of some Catholics is depressing.
Bear in mind, we have at least one atheist answering this question.
Old May 4, '12, 7:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJuliane View Post
Bear in mind, we have at least one atheist answering this question.
I know.

Viva il Papa! Long live Pope Francis!
Old May 5, '12, 2:07 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenFrancis View Post
NFP-Only doctors

The following are family medicine and OB/GYN doctors who practice medicine in accordance with the teachings of the Catholic Church. These doctors have an understanding of the Creighton Model FertiltyCare System and NaPro Technology and are currently taking new patients:

Dr. Richard Brennan

, St. Gianna Obstetrics and Gynecology, locations at SSM St. Clare Hospital in Fenton, South St. Louis County and Waterloo, Ill. Visit giannaobgyn.com

Drs. Peter Danis and Jared Wojnicki

, Mercy Family Medicine; 12860 Olive Blvd. in Creve Coeur; (314) 251-8888

Drs. Michael Dixon and Brian Gosser

, St. Gerard Obstetrics and Gynecology; St. Anthony’s Medical Center, 10004 Kennerly Road, Suite 386, in South St. Louis County; (314) 842-7910

Dr. Brooke Jemelka

, an NFP provider at St. John’s Mercy Medical Center’s John F. Kennedy Memorial Outpatient Clinic, which provides low-cost services to uninsured and underinsured patients. For more information, call (314) 251-6382

Dr. Rustico Ramos

, family medicine at BJC Parkland Health Center, 1005 W. Liberty St. in Farmington; (573) 756-7844

Dr. Christine Salter

, family medicine at the Center for Vibrant Health and Wellness, 1034 South Brentwood Blvd., Suite 505, in Brentwood; (314) 361-0111

There are other doctors who are trained in using other methods of natural family planning, or who might not be accepting new patients at this time. For a complete listing, see

www.onemoresoul.com.
My doctor bolded and underlined above. He's great!
Old May 5, '12, 2:20 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJuliane View Post
You also have no objection to Planned Parenthood, since you are pro-"choice" and an atheist. ...
No doubt, since she worked at Planned Parenthood for two years too. It is clear that BEL has no objections to PP at all and believes in it and supports. I doubt further discussion will be effective to change her mind, so I would channel efforts to dissuade using PP toward the OP instead.
Old May 5, '12, 2:46 pm
Veteran Member

OP, I would certainly avoid Planned Parenthood and try a clinic instead to meet your healthcare needs.

"...Boeing enables charity care

The Boeing Company has announced that it will increase its support of charity care programs at Mercy Hospital St. Louis with a gift of $1 million. Boeing's gift, to be distributed over the next four years, will be used to support two charity care initiatives. The first will renovate Mercy's JFK Clinic and the second will expand Mercy's efforts to benefit underserved children and their families in the community. The renovation of the JFK Clinic will provide five additional exams rooms, improved patient privacy, better work flow efficiency for physicians and residents, technology upgrades and an expanded waiting room. More than 31,000 eligible uninsured or underinsured patients receive comprehensive medical care, obstetrical services and low-cost prescriptions annually at the JFK Clinic."...

Source: http://stlouisreview.com/article/201...hdiocesan-news
Old May 5, '12, 2:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwizzleStick View Post
No doubt, since she worked at Planned Parenthood for two years too. It is clear that BEL has no objections to PP at all and believes in it and supports. I doubt further discussion will be effective to change her mind, so I would channel efforts to dissuade using PP toward the OP instead.
I hope the OP hasn't been scared off by all the pro-PP talk. I hope she at least read the posts with all the alternative options and is researching them all to get the medical attention she needs without having to go to PP.
Old May 5, '12, 2:53 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriceA View Post
I hope the OP hasn't been scared off by all the pro-PP talk. I hope she at least read the posts with all the alternative options and is researching them all to get the medical attention she needs without having to go to PP.
I hope that as well. There are other avenues rather than going to Planned Parenthood.
Old May 5, '12, 6:17 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenFrancis View Post
NFP-Only doctors

The following are family medicine and OB/GYN doctors who practice medicine in accordance with the teachings of the Catholic Church. These doctors have an understanding of the Creighton Model FertiltyCare System and NaPro Technology and are currently taking new patients: ...
...•

Dr. Brooke Jemelka

, an NFP provider at St. John’s Mercy Medical Center’s John F. Kennedy Memorial Outpatient Clinic, which provides low-cost services to uninsured and underinsured patients. For more information, call (314) 251-6382

I meant to link to this earlier, but got side-tracked when I saw my own doctor on the list referenced.

Anyway, here is a link to an article in the local Catholic paper referencing Dr. Jemelka, bolding and underscoring the relevant info to this thread. The clinic info has already been referenced in the thread, but this still might be helpful and encouraging to the OP.

"The new face of Natural Family Planning...

...Today, Jemelka is one of six -- yes, six -- resident physicians in the OB/GYN Residency Program at Mercy Hospital in St. Louis who plan to specialize in natural family planning in their future practices. As part of their training, the residents currently are caring for uninsured and underinsured women who come to Mercy's JFK Clinic."...

Source link: http://stlouisreview.com/article/201...w-face-natural

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life