Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 3, '12, 10:05 pm
Banned

Religion: Agnostic
Default Re: Pope reaffirms ban on women priests

Originally Posted by AngryAtheist8
Wrong.

Unlike the vast majority of people at CAF, I frequently use evidence and sources to back up my claims (the post below is an example from this thread), as my posting history at this forum shows.

I would like it if you used a bit more fact based commentary Lochias, it would be a pleasant change from your apparent M.O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochias View Post
Your "evidence" hasn't won anyone over yet. So, either you're the lone, shining light in a sea of misinformation and darkness...or, your "evidence" is bunk. I know which one my money's on.

And, yes, I'm sure you'd like a lot of things. I like a great many things, too.
I kind of assumed that would be expecting too much
Old May 3, '12, 10:48 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryAtheist8 View Post
Coming from someone who doesn't use evidence to back up his arguments at all, that means very little.
I claim what the Catholic Church teaches. I don't need to do your research for you. You have a brain and two eyes...go use them.
Old May 3, '12, 10:49 pm

Quote:

...wow. Well, no-one can ever accuse you of being overly humble, I suppose. Jolly good show.
Old May 4, '12, 8:46 am

This woman priest issue has been explained umpteen times and some very immature kiddies can't get over the fact that the priesthood is not a social thing or a "rights" thing. No woman could confect a valid mass. She can go through the motions but it would not do any good. There would be no true mass. This is a theological issue and the church has the power to hold on to the true teachings of the church. If people keep changing things, then there is no continuity and no security in such a church and I would leave it to go elsewhere that holds on to tradition. These experimenters just want to destroy the church because ordaining women would split the church asunder and all the trads would form another church that would hang onto the truth. Then the change fanatics would try to change that group, ad nauseam so that they could claim special powers. If these people were normal thinkers, they would go over to another church that already has women "priests." The fact that they don't, proves that they are interested only in power over others, and not the true Catholic faith of the centuries.
Old May 4, '12, 12:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal25 View Post
This woman priest issue has been explained umpteen times and some very immature kiddies can't get over the fact that the priesthood is not a social thing or a "rights" thing. No woman could confect a valid mass. She can go through the motions but it would not do any good. There would be no true mass. This is a theological issue and the church has the power to hold on to the true teachings of the church. If people keep changing things, then there is no continuity and no security in such a church and I would leave it to go elsewhere that holds on to tradition. These experimenters just want to destroy the church because ordaining women would split the church asunder and all the trads would form another church that would hang onto the truth. Then the change fanatics would try to change that group, ad nauseam so that they could claim special powers. If these people were normal thinkers, they would go over to another church that already has women "priests." The fact that they don't, proves that they are interested only in power over others, and not the true Catholic faith of the centuries.
A-freaking-men.
Old May 4, '12, 3:23 pm

Quote:
A-freaking-men.
I second that. It is no big deal for Protestants to have women ministers because they are essentially a lay group. That is how they see the church, no hierarchy.
Old May 4, '12, 5:08 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsinner7 View Post
I already avoid women EMHCs.
Then I don't think you really understand the rationale for why women can't be priests.

Women being EMHC has nothing to do with the priesthood.

Which is why the Church has permitted this.

25 Random Things About Me

Visit my blog: 3 Minute Apologetics
Old May 4, '12, 5:11 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyS View Post
I second that. It is no big deal for Protestants to have women ministers because they are essentially a lay group.
'zactly. I have no problem with women ministers in Protestant churches. For, essentially, they are doing the exact thing that a male minister is doing--preaching the gospel, managing a parish, counseling parishioners. And of course a woman can do things things as well as a man. Better even.

Of course, one understands that the priesthood is NOT about what he does, for if it were, then naturally women ought to be able to do what jobs a priest does.

At ordination an ONTOLOGICAL change occurs in the man. What existed 10 seconds prior to ordination, exists no more. The universe is changed forever at the confection of this sacrament.

25 Random Things About Me

Visit my blog: 3 Minute Apologetics
Old May 5, '12, 10:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmerger View Post
'zactly. I have no problem with women ministers in Protestant churches. For, essentially, they are doing the exact thing that a male minister is doing--preaching the gospel, managing a parish, counseling parishioners. And of course a woman can do things things as well as a man. Better even.

Of course, one understands that the priesthood is NOT about what he does, for if it were, then naturally women ought to be able to do what jobs a priest does.

At ordination an ONTOLOGICAL change occurs in the man. What existed 10 seconds prior to ordination, exists no more. The universe is changed forever at the confection of this sacrament.
Well, it is more like baptism is it not? Protestants also do not acknowledge the efficacy of the sacraments.
Old May 5, '12, 2:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaintheavy View Post
Because.
In time, we see that some rules are made to be broken...or at least, revised.
This is one of them.
But I guess it's just not time....yet.
It makes no sense not to have women as priests. Being a priest is something spiritual and a calling of the soul, it is not linked to specific male sex organs, as childbirth is.
Jesus himself, we are told, did not take part in any sexual activity involving his gender-specific organs.
If several women--including Mary Magdalene, Jesus' favorite--could hang out and move around with the apostles/disciples and help preach, why can't women do so today?
It is unfortunate that mortal men--who exactly was this?--interpreted words collected in the Christian canon centuries after Jesus died to mean that women cannot be priests.
Very much so.
I hope that our granddaughters and their daughters after that will live in a time that is less rigid.
Women priests makes sense only if one is accustomed to thinking of the priesthood as a position of power. But even from that perspective, the fact si that when women do gain a position of power, that position is diminished in status, and men tend to avoid it. Look at what is happening in the universities, as women graduates become the majority. The value of the degree is diminished.
Old May 5, '12, 3:06 pm
Banned

Coming from someone who doesn't use evidence to back up his arguments at all, that means very little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochias;9256344[B
]I claim what the Catholic Church teaches. I don't need to do your research for you. You have a brain and two eyes...go use them[/b].
But in a debate you're supposed to PROVE your arguments.
You can't expect your opponent to do your research and argue your case.

Any lawyer who did that would soon be unable to find work, and he would deserve such treatment.
Old May 5, '12, 3:07 pm
Banned

Quote:
...wow. Well, no-one can ever accuse you of being overly humble, I suppose. Jolly good show.
It would be nice if you would stop projecting your own behavior onto me
Old May 5, '12, 3:11 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by heaintheavy
Because.
In time, we see that some rules are made to be broken...or at least, revised.
This is one of them.
But I guess it's just not time....yet.
It makes no sense not to have women as priests. Being a priest is something spiritual and a calling of the soul, it is not linked to specific male sex organs, as childbirth is.
Jesus himself, we are told, did not take part in any sexual activity involving his gender-specific organs.
If several women--including Mary Magdalene, Jesus' favorite--could hang out and move around with the apostles/disciples and help preach, why can't women do so today?
It is unfortunate that mortal men--who exactly was this?--interpreted words collected in the Christian canon centuries after Jesus died to mean that women cannot be priests.
Very much so.
I hope that our granddaughters and their daughters after that will live in a time that is less rigid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyS View Post
Women priests makes sense only if one is accustomed to thinking of the priesthood as a position of power. But even from that perspective, the fact si that when women do gain a position of power, that position is diminished in status, and men tend to avoid it. Look at what is happening in the universities, as women graduates become the majority. The value of the degree is diminished.
You're arguing that when women have something it automatically decreases in value?
That's one of the most sexist things I have ever heard!
Old May 5, '12, 3:27 pm

Quote:

Because God said women cannot be ordained into the priesthood. This has been part of Holy Tradition (the Word of God) for 2,000 years. Pope Saint Peter, nor any Pope since him, has had the authority to change it. It is an absolute beyond any man. Just as no man has the authority to change the gravitational constant of the universe, so no man has the authority to allow women into the priesthood of the Catholic Church.

Ran
Old May 5, '12, 3:58 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranp View Post
Because God said women cannot be ordained into the priesthood. This has been part of Holy Tradition (the Word of God) for 2,000 years. Pope Saint Peter, nor any Pope since him, has had the authority to change it. It is an absolute beyond any man. Just as no man has the authority to change the gravitational constant of the universe, so no man has the authority to allow women into the priesthood of the Catholic Church.

Ran
I am fairly certain I did not write that (at the top of the post).

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News