Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 4, '12, 12:26 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Home broken into

I'm so sorry for what you have been through. I've had my home broken into and my car as well. It's a pretty yucky feeling.
I know one of the people who entered my home (and spoke to him about it, telling him that he needed to provide restitution for what was taken.) The last I heard, he was in prison for other issues. From what I know of his life, he could use a great deal of prayer so perhaps I could pray for your robber and you for mine. I assume my car (on a college campus) was hit by a stranger. Either way, people who will steal are sorely in need of prayer. May God bless us all.
Old May 4, '12, 1:02 am

I have not had your experience, but my parents' home was broken into a long time ago.
Luckily, they did not have much of value stolen. The thieves were after jewelry and
passports and guns. We know that much because they were caught burgarlizing another
residence, one of them (he was armed) was killed, but the other was caught with a
carfull of items that had been stolen earlier. Didn't know it at the time, but my mother
kept her good jewelry in cheap boxes and her costume jewelry in jewelry boxes. The
thieves took her cheap jewelry and left the other boxes alone. LOL.
I have a pretty secure password on my laptop, .but even so, I don't leave it at home,
usually goes with me on trips.
Heard this suggestion given by a burglar (!!). He said one of the things that eliminated
a home for him was hearing voices or thinking someone was home. So he suggested
leaving on a "talk" radio station and lights. Even if it was at night, someone could
have insomnia and be listening, or during the day the "talk" couldn't be distinguished
from people talking. Not foolproof, cause they could then ring the doorbell and
break in when noone came to the door.
I will pray for you.
Old May 4, '12, 5:15 am

I'm so sorry to hear about the break-in. Please consider that it was connected to the time period around your graduation and the thief may be someone that you knows you or your schedule/routine. I know that thieves are always looking for info about graduations and weddings etc knowing that thoses residences will be easy to break into. Always have someone watching your home when your absence will be public. I use Frontpoint security and it is affordable and the system comes with me when I move.
Old May 4, '12, 5:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJuliane View Post
Well, you can take some comfort in the fact that most thieves are just after stuff they can turn around for drug money. I suppose there could be a market in locked laptops that hackers can then try to get into, but I'm thinking it would just be sold for a few bucks or drugs.
I'm not worried so much about the thief trying to break into my computer himself as the person he may be selling the laptop to. The thief appears to be an experienced one, and he probably has ready channels to dump stolen goods. The intermediaries are the ones that worry me more, as they are more likely to possess the know-how to break into a laptop to retrieve personal information. Let's hope the thief's associates are only interested in wiping the computer clean and reselling it.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life