Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 2, '12, 11:10 am

Default Would life be a disaster if no one believed in anything?

Years ago I was musing with the thought of how life would be like if no one belived in anything.No religion,no spirituality,I guess no philosophy and/or political ideologies and I guess that in a more literal sense no one trusting in anyone.Would that mean that everyone would be a functional nihilist?.A few weeks later an english teacher of mine brings that when discussing "The catcher in the rye" I think or it might having just a general class conversation.He said (I think) that he's doesn't no if there is a God and doesn't care about who's in charge.He just wants to be happy but he's okay with other people's beliefs b/c he said that if no one believed in anything then life would be a disaster.I find it interesting that he got to that conclusion before I did (if it was ever likely that I would).Even though I agree with him on that,can anyone explain what that means?.That "life be a disaster if no one believed in anything"?.Thank you for your time.
Old May 2, '12, 11:34 am
Banned

Religion: None
Default Re: Would life be a disaster if no one believed in anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack View Post
Years ago I was musing with the thought of how life would be like if no one belived in anything.No religion,no spirituality,I guess no philosophy and/or political ideologies and I guess that in a more literal sense no one trusting in anyone.Would that mean that everyone would be a functional nihilist?.A few weeks later an english teacher of mine brings that when discussing "The catcher in the rye" I think or it might having just a general class conversation.He said (I think) that he's doesn't no if there is a God and doesn't care about who's in charge.He just wants to be happy but he's okay with other people's beliefs b/c he said that if no one believed in anything then life would be a disaster.I find it interesting that he got to that conclusion before I did (if it was ever likely that I would).Even though I agree with him on that,can anyone explain what that means?.That "life be a disaster if no one believed in anything"?.Thank you for your time.
I guess that if nobody believed in anything, there'd be no common ground on which to build a community.
Old May 2, '12, 11:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASimon View Post
I guess that if nobody believed in anything, there'd be no common ground on which to build a community.
Yeah,it occurred to me right now.Anomie and amoral relativism would reign supreme,eh?
Old May 2, '12, 12:27 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

I have difficulty imagining the human race being devoid of all philosophy and yet still being human.

But, yeah, that seems to me to be quite a recipe for disaster.

The Catechesis of the Popes
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, itís more than that. Itís a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old May 2, '12, 1:03 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Ever read Orwell's Animal Farm? There is no such thing as a political vacuum; so they could live very well, some would take over and make life miserable for the rest.
Old May 2, '12, 2:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedonaman View Post
Ever read Orwell's Animal Farm? There is no such thing as a political vacuum; so they could live very well, some would take over and make life miserable for the rest.
I have read it and since you brought it up I guess that it can even be said that there are things that would definately not be a good thing to believe in and/or a basis for belief.Ex.Racial superiority and thinking that one's own ethnic group is superior to another.Unfortunately I think that there is a subconscious human desire for having to have superiority in some form or another for whatever reason that will always be present and has to be quelled and kept from doing bad things.The thought of racial superiority probably being one of those most prominent demonstrations of this in how it can lead to xenophobia,slavery,cross-cultural hostility along with prejudices and discrimination of many sorts.Also I think that it can be argued that there such thing as a political vacuum can happen:doesn't anarchy count?
Old May 2, '12, 2:40 pm

Quote:
...Unfortunately I think that there is a subconscious human desire for having to have superiority in some form or another for whatever reason that will always be present and has to be quelled and kept from doing bad things.
On the other hand, if people didn't think their society was better than others, that society would not be long for the world.
Quote:
The thought of racial superiority probably being one of those most prominent demonstrations of this in how it can lead to xenophobia,slavery,cross-cultural hostility along with prejudices and discrimination of many sorts.Also I think that it can be argued that there such thing as a political vacuum can happen:doesn't anarchy count?
Anarchy is one of those ideas that look good on paper but won't work for the same reason: political vacuum. Anarchy advocates voluntary associations, but it wouldn't be long before some despot took advantage of the usual human tendency to "let George do it" ... and take over the society and form an oppressive government. As I recall, this is what happened in Animal Farm.
Old May 2, '12, 9:31 pm

Quote:
On the other hand, if people didn't think their society was better than others, that society would not be long for the world.
You meant to say that society wont be around for long in this world did you not?.Or did you actually mean to say that such a society wouldn't belong in this world?.
Old May 2, '12, 10:15 pm

Religion: None

The space in "be long" is meant to be there. "X is not long for this world" just means that X isn't going to last very long.
Old May 3, '12, 7:54 am

Quote:
You meant to say that society wont be around for long in this world did you not? ....
Yes.
Old May 3, '12, 1:34 pm

Quote:
Yes.
While I agree that if such a belief were clinged to it would help the community to exist but it's definately not one of the better choices to pick as a belief to follow and there's plenty of other options out there that can circumvent that one.Now that I think about in an ideal world everyone would pick a good thought as the basis for belief but the reality is that sometimes a morally questionable one is picked that might lead to some trouble in the future and can only be reevaluated with hindsight.For instance if this was like 10,000 years ago couldn't a rudimentary community prosper just as well if they had an underlying belief that no ethnic group is superior to any other,everyone is different and yet must be treated impartially?.Heck,I cant think of any historical examples of that,but wouldn't such a community be just as well so long as they get down to the real work of meeting neccesities? (through agriculture and animal husbandry instead of some sort of raiding) while defending themselves when neccesary from enemies BUT not with the thought in mind that there superior then some "barbarians" who are trying to kill them but with the simple thought that there some ppl are in violation of forcefully using what they rightfully earned and need.

Last edited by sidetrack; May 3, '12 at 1:50 pm.
Old May 3, '12, 2:44 pm

Religion: Catholic

Belief is power. Without belief, the world would lose culture, advancement--probably everything except a blind pursuit of comfort and pleasure. Everything would unravel.
Old May 3, '12, 4:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non sum dignus View Post
Belief is power. Without belief, the world would lose culture, advancement--probably everything except a blind pursuit of comfort and pleasure. Everything would unravel.
So often though do I think that,that is the case though from what I see in how exploitative ppl can be more money and luxury pursuits
Old May 4, '12, 9:59 am

Quote:
...Heck,I cant think of any historical examples of that,but wouldn't such a community be just as well so long as they get down to the real work of meeting neccesities? ... while defending themselves when neccesary from enemies BUT not with the thought in mind that there superior then some "barbarians" who are trying to kill them but with the simple thought that there some ppl are in violation of forcefully using what they rightfully earned and need.
If all societies are equal and none better than others, why would you defend yours? Why not just join the attacker's society?
Old May 4, '12, 7:18 pm

Quote:
If all societies are equal and none better than others, why would you defend yours? Why not just join the attacker's society?
b/c your society has a particular identity and ethos but DOES NOT feel that it's superior to the attackers.Your society would just like to be left alone to do it's own thing.Also I never suggested that these attackers would be open enough to let your society in and co-operate with them.Why did you bring that up?.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy