Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 4, '12, 7:36 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Orthodox w/ Reformed tendencies. Fides quaerens intellectum.
Send a message via Skype™ to Khalid
Default Re: I Attacked a Hundred-Dollar Bible....

Very expensive Bibles are worth it - we spend $5k on a nice television when it's on sale and consider it a good deal, but spend $200 on a Bible that will last for generations, and then kick ourselves for it. It was a good decision, and you should be proud of it - there is no reason to be negative about it.

Many people go through the same thing - I suggest you read some of the posts about (very expensive, and very nice, long-lasting, leather-bound, search-for-the-perfect-Bible) and comments on those posts on J Mark Bertrand's www.bibledesignblog.com . They will be very enlightening.

I have a large, goatskin-rebound New Cambridge Paragraph King James Version with the "Apocrypha", which probably cost several hundred dollars total. It was worth it. I only wish there was a nice text setting/text block for the Douay-Rheims-Challoner and I'd gladly spend twice as much again to get it sewn and bound properly with a nice goat cover.
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. - II Timothy 2:15

Above all things Truth beareth away the victory: ... great is Truth, mighty above all things. - III Esdras 3:12,4:41
Old May 21, '12, 8:36 am

Religion: Lutheran - LC-MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeritasLuxMea View Post
I don't mean to be rude to my own faith, but anecdotal facts = anecdotal facts and I don't know a single Catholic who reads the Bible. ...

Part of me is even suspicious about the Bible readings at Mass, maybe my Church just uses a funky version but it will say stuff that I can't find in my Bible like "Brothers and Sisters," as an address to a group.

As a Lutheran, I attend Mass with my catholic friends now and then - and at mass there's plenty of reading of the bible. There were two reading, and a gospel reading.

If you go to Mass - you'll hear the bible in three years, according to this:

http://forums.catholic.com/showthrea...hreadid=572243

Given the amount of the bible that I see promulgated at Mass, that seems correct.
Old May 23, '12, 5:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicofAgora View Post
My mom bought me a nearly $100 dollar Bible, I absolutely love it. It's like my favorite version on steroids. However I have come to hate myself with an immense passion. Perhaps it's because of my Southern Baptist roots, but I allowed myself to go ape on my bible with a highlighter. I then thought about it and I realized that I have a lot of marked up Bibles that I'm not using anymore. Anyone know if there is a way I could redeem the money I spent on these bibles?

Thanks, God bless...
Yes, Congratulate yourself for your devotion to God's word and keep it up! Your mother would be proud that you are reading the bible and filling yourself with the word of God!

She didn't want you to put the bible on the shelf for looks and never use it for anything other than a decoration.

Good job! I applaud your devotion.

Luke 10:
41 But the Lord answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; 42 but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her.”
Old May 23, '12, 5:32 pm

Quote:
So.... It's good to see that my fellow Catholics here at CAF took my thread so seriously. -.- I mean just sooooo muucchhhh helpful advice for auctioning off my used Bibles.
Maybe you should find people in need of bibles that don't have any and donate them??
Old May 23, '12, 5:33 pm

Quote:
So how much is a marked-up hundred-dollar bible worth? -.-
Could be worth an eternity of joy.
Old May 23, '12, 7:13 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Orthodox w/ Reformed tendencies. Fides quaerens intellectum.
Send a message via Skype™ to Khalid

Amen
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. - II Timothy 2:15

Above all things Truth beareth away the victory: ... great is Truth, mighty above all things. - III Esdras 3:12,4:41

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014