Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #61  
Old May 4, '12, 10:39 am
Havard's Avatar
Havard Havard is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 9, 2009
Posts: 4,909
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: J C Penny promoting homosexual relationships in Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Personanongrata View Post
Mega DITTOS!!! Who cares!!!

About the mass-market affecting culture by normalizing sinful behavior?

I'd say the usual suspects... God, the Blessed Mother, living and departed Saints, the Holy Father, etc...
__________________
Since it comes up often:
My user name is Havard, as in Lewis & Tolkein's friend, Dr. Robert Havard
No reference or connection to Harvard is intended
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old May 4, '12, 11:04 am
BlueEyedLady BlueEyedLady is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 22, 2011
Posts: 4,940
Religion: Atheist
Default Re: J C Penny promoting homosexual relationships in Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havard View Post
About the mass-market affecting culture by normalizing sinful behavior?

I'd say the usual suspects... God, the Blessed Mother, living and departed Saints, the Holy Father, etc...
I guess I see it differently. I see it as the mass market reflecting our culture. They have nothing to gain (and everything to lose) by pushing agendas that our culture is by and large adverse to.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old May 4, '12, 11:32 am
Havard's Avatar
Havard Havard is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 9, 2009
Posts: 4,909
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: J C Penny promoting homosexual relationships in Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyedLady View Post
I guess I see it differently. I see it as the mass market reflecting our culture. They have nothing to gain (and everything to lose) by pushing agendas that our culture is by and large adverse to.
Media, whether ads or paid programming, can both reflect and affect culture.

As to pushing an agenda, I don't think it's going down quite as politically as that. I think they know this decision was a gamble, but must have felt the odds were in their favor. After all, JCP is a publicly traded company, ultimately the bottom line trumps any social or political agenda.
__________________
Since it comes up often:
My user name is Havard, as in Lewis & Tolkein's friend, Dr. Robert Havard
No reference or connection to Harvard is intended
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old May 4, '12, 3:26 pm
dailey's Avatar
dailey dailey is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: July 19, 2010
Posts: 1,366
Religion: catholic
Default Re: J C Penny promoting homosexual relationships in Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havard View Post
About the mass-market affecting culture by normalizing sinful behavior?

I'd say the usual suspects... God, the Blessed Mother, living and departed Saints, the Holy Father, etc...
Touche..
__________________
Padre Pio once said, ‘without the Grace of God, all I know how to do is to sin and sin again.’
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old May 4, '12, 3:40 pm
TheRealJuliane TheRealJuliane is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 11, 2010
Posts: 19,026
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: J C Penny promoting homosexual relationships in Ads

Here is a very good book, with a self-explanatory title.

You will look like this while reading it.


The Marketing of Evil: How Radicals, Elitists, and Pseudo-Experts Sell Us Corruption Disguised As Freedom
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old May 4, '12, 7:47 pm
SilverLight's Avatar
SilverLight SilverLight is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: April 1, 2012
Posts: 145
Religion: Catholic
Smile Re: J C Penny promoting homosexual relationships in Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey View Post
I agree with trying to eliminate stress. However, if everyone turns their back, then what? Sometimes you just gotta stand up for what is right.
Yes
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old May 6, '12, 10:48 am
domandcarols's Avatar
domandcarols domandcarols is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: August 2, 2011
Posts: 2,308
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: J C Penny promoting homosexual relationships in Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by etmom View Post
My daughter has a classmate at her Catholic school that has two moms. Last year one of the moms had twins. My daughter's classmate is adamant that her baby sisters have no father. This is what her moms have told her, that there is absolutely no father. My daughter (second grade) keeps asking us about it. We are firm in the fact that the babies, do indeed, have a father. He may not live with the family, but he exists somewhere. My daughter and her classmate are both confused by the situation. Sad, and something very difficult to explain to a 7 year old.
That's repulsive. Why would they send her to a Catholic school?
__________________
Jesus, Mary, I love you! Save souls!
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old May 6, '12, 12:18 pm
BlueEyedLady BlueEyedLady is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 22, 2011
Posts: 4,940
Religion: Atheist
Default Re: J C Penny promoting homosexual relationships in Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by domandcarols View Post
That's repulsive. Why would they send her to a Catholic school?
A lot of people do if they live in an area where the public schools are bad.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old May 6, '12, 12:59 pm
JimG JimG is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: May 23, 2004
Posts: 22,469
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: J C Penny promoting homosexual relationships in Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by domandcarols View Post
That's repulsive. Why would they send her to a Catholic school?
It may be true, as Blue Eyed Lady noted, that they picked the school for its academic reputation. Still, they must surely realize that at some point in her education, their daughter will be taught Catholic doctrine on sexual matters, which will only serve to confuse them.

I only hope that they do not have a different agenda, of perhaps trying to undermine that teaching by sending their children to the school.

Where I live, most Catholic schools have waiting lists, and give first priority to parish members and Catholics.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old May 6, '12, 1:20 pm
etmom etmom is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: March 17, 2012
Posts: 297
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: J C Penny promoting homosexual relationships in Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyedLady View Post
A lot of people do if they live in an area where the public schools are bad.
Schools are not bad where we live. I have no idea why they send her, but it's been a major issue. The two mothers will come to the school mass, refuse to participate in any respectful way, and hold hands in the front row in front of the children. They are teaching their child to be openly disrepectful of the religious teaching. They insist that the children call them "momma XXXX" and "momma XXXX" and became very upset when I insisted my child call them "Miss XXXX" and Miss XXXX". I could not send my child to a school that taught the way I lived was immoral. I'm all for the little girl getting a Catholic education, but this is just causing scandal. My daughter has learned more about this "lifestyle" at an extremely young age than she ever would have via a retailer's advertising. This is being actively promoted with a specific agenda.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old May 6, '12, 1:31 pm
SwizzleStick's Avatar
SwizzleStick SwizzleStick is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: April 30, 2008
Posts: 9,143
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: J C Penny promoting homosexual relationships in Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by etmom View Post
Schools are not bad where we live. I have no idea why they send her, but it's been a major issue. The two mothers will come to the school mass, refuse to participate in any respectful way, and hold hands in the front row in front of the children. They are teaching their child to be openly disrepectful of the religious teaching. They insist that the children call them "momma XXXX" and "momma XXXX" and became very upset when I insisted my child call them "Miss XXXX" and Miss XXXX". I could not send my child to a school that taught the way I lived was immoral. I'm all for the little girl getting a Catholic education, but this is just causing scandal. My daughter has learned more about this "lifestyle" at an extremely young age than she ever would have via a retailer's advertising. This is being actively promoted with a specific agenda.
Why does the school allow that type of behavior? Are many parents upset over the situation? Does the school board know about the situation? Do the principal and the pastor know? I would assume the answer to all those questions would be "yes" since you indicated it has been a major issue, but I suppose I could be wrong. If I were you, I would make it my business to inform the school. Documentation and support from other parents would be useful.

The school does not have to allow the child to attend if the parents openly flout the teachings of Holy Mother Church, do they? It is a Catholic school after all. Also, what example does this set for the other Catholic children in school? As a parent, I would want to know that my school supports my attempt to educate my children in the Faith, not detract from them. Your school has a responsibility to the rest of the student body. It is scandalous that the school allows this type of situation to continue.

At our school, at the beginning of the school year, we actually sign a contract indicating we will go to Mass on Sundays and teach our children the Faith, which is no problem since it is a given for us. (I don't remember the exact wording of the contract, but it is something like that.) Do you have anything like that in place at your school? If so, that too may serve you well to remedy this situation.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old May 6, '12, 1:46 pm
etmom etmom is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: March 17, 2012
Posts: 297
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: J C Penny promoting homosexual relationships in Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwizzleStick View Post
Why does the school allow that type of behavior? Are many parents upset over the situation? Does the school board know about the situation? Do the principal and the pastor know? I would assume the answer to all those questions would be "yes" since you indicated it has been a major issue, but I suppose I could be wrong. If I were you, I would make it my business to inform the school. Documentation and support from other parents would be useful.

The school does not have to allow the child to attend if the parents openly flout the teachings of Holy Mother Church, do they? It is a Catholic school after all. Also, what example does this set for the other Catholic children in school? As a parent, I would want to know that my school supports my attempt to educate my children in the Faith, not detract from them. Your school has a responsibility to the rest of the student body. It is scandalous that the school allows this type of situation to continue.

At our school, at the beginning of the school year, we actually sign a contract indicating we will go to Mass on Sundays and teach our children the Faith, which is no problem since it is a given for us. (I don't remember the exact wording of the contract, but it is something like that.) Do you have anything like that in place at your school? If so, that too may serve you well to remedy this situation.
There are some parents who are upset, but not all. Apparently we are not being "tolerant" and "open minded" per the school administrator (principal). My child, who was adopted, however, was asked not to discuss her birth family during a discussion of family trees and family history in class. Apparently adoption is not an appropriate subject for Catholic schools but same sex marriage is.

I foolishly assumed that this situation was discussed prior to the girl's entrance and had everyone's blessing. It wasn't until I was actually in confession, asking for forgiveness for my anger and uncharitableness over the entire situation that my pastor's jaw hit the floor. He hadn't known. I'm praying for a resolution, it is untenable as it is right now.

We do not have anything like the contract that your school does, and many of the students are not Catholic.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old May 6, '12, 4:43 pm
anp1215's Avatar
anp1215 anp1215 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 31, 2010
Posts: 3,764
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: J C Penny promoting homosexual relationships in Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by etmom View Post
Schools are not bad where we live. I have no idea why they send her, but it's been a major issue. The two mothers will come to the school mass, refuse to participate in any respectful way, and hold hands in the front row in front of the children. They are teaching their child to be openly disrepectful of the religious teaching. They insist that the children call them "momma XXXX" and "momma XXXX" and became very upset when I insisted my child call them "Miss XXXX" and Miss XXXX". I could not send my child to a school that taught the way I lived was immoral. I'm all for the little girl getting a Catholic education, but this is just causing scandal. My daughter has learned more about this "lifestyle" at an extremely young age than she ever would have via a retailer's advertising. This is being actively promoted with a specific agenda.
That is unacceptable. And...they want the kids to call them "Momma?" What weirdos. I would have an issue with any adult asking my child to call them "Momma," no matter their sexual predilections.
__________________

Viva il Papa! Long live Pope Francis!
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old May 6, '12, 5:09 pm
lifeisbeautiful's Avatar
lifeisbeautiful lifeisbeautiful is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: September 8, 2005
Posts: 5,019
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: J C Penny promoting homosexual relationships in Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp1215 View Post
That is unacceptable. And...they want the kids to call them "Momma?" What weirdos. I would have an issue with any adult asking my child to call them "Momma," no matter their sexual predilections.
I agree!

etmom, sorry you and you daughter have to deal with this.
__________________
Life is Beautiful!!!
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old May 6, '12, 5:11 pm
etmom etmom is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: March 17, 2012
Posts: 297
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: J C Penny promoting homosexual relationships in Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp1215 View Post
That is unacceptable. And...they want the kids to call them "Momma?" What weirdos. I would have an issue with any adult asking my child to call them "Momma," no matter their sexual predilections.
I think by asking the kids to call them "momma sue" and "momma sarah" (not their real names), they are "normalizing" the situation for the children, and also repeatedly putting in front of the kids that they are two moms to this particular child. If my child calls them "Miss Smith" and "Miss Jones", they don't get to repeatedly point out that they both are Mom to little Suzie.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8304Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: GLam8833
5071CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: mountee
4358Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: lsbar
4035OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: 3DOCTORS
3853SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3616Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3264Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3212Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: Rifester
3203Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3069For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Theresa DeSensi



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 2:38 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.