Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 4, '12, 6:01 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: My wife "fell out of love"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbl9 View Post
Welcome to the forum
anti depressant meds dull the mind so there isn't much passion/drive for anything.
That is not true! If that is happening, then the person needs a medication change or an adjustment. Actually it is untreated depression that takes away passion and drive, and causes the mind to seize up like a car motor without oil. When my chronic depression is untreated (I quit my meds last time, thinking I could do without them) I cannot think straight or make decisions, I get very passive and paralyzed. When I am medicated I have hope, I have commitment, and I can accomplish tasks. Night and day, after just a few days, my brain clears up and I am alive again. I respond very quickly to medis though, I guess my brain is so hungry for the hormones that they just work fast! A lot of people have to take the meds for up to 4-6 weeks sometimes to get relief.
Old May 4, '12, 6:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJuliane View Post
That is not true! If that is happening, then the person needs a medication change or an adjustment. Actually it is untreated depression that takes away passion and drive, and causes the mind to seize up like a car motor without oil. When my chronic depression is untreated (I quit my meds last time, thinking I could do without them) I cannot think straight or make decisions, I get very passive and paralyzed. When I am medicated I have hope, I have commitment, and I can accomplish tasks. Night and day, after just a few days, my brain clears up and I am alive again. I respond very quickly to medis though, I guess my brain is so hungry for the hormones that they just work fast! A lot of people have to take the meds for up to 4-6 weeks sometimes to get relief.
I'm with Julianne here. I've seen it firsthand. Sometimes it's hard finding the right meds/combo, for sure. I used to be very, very anti-medication. I do still believe in exhausting all options first (foods, sunlight, exercise, etc.). My father-in-law and one of my best friends, two of THE MOST together, sensible, warm, loving folks I know are on psychotropics. Certainly gave me a different perspective.
Old May 4, '12, 9:35 am
Greeter

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
That is not true! .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurlyMermaid View Post
I'm with Julianne here. I've seen it firsthand. .
Well that seems to be my experience with my wife taking exflexor(sic?).The dulling that is.
Old May 4, '12, 4:20 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbl9 View Post
Well that seems to be my experience with my wife taking exflexor(sic?).The dulling that is.
Then she should tell her psychiatrist about that. It could be that Effexor is not the right medication for her. She should not stop taking it without being weaned off of it, though. Some of the newer anti-depressants can cause nasty withdrawal symptoms unless you wean away from them slowly as you ramp up another medication.

Please tell your wife not to settle for just survival. There is a better way, than living but not enjoying life.
Old May 4, '12, 7:27 pm

Actually, Anti-depressents can have some serious side effects

Here's just one article: http://www.helpguide.org/mental/medi..._depression.ht

I think it's also worth noting, although generally only a problem in teens and young adults, some anti-depressents can actually cause suicidal tendancies in people.

They are not a fix all for everyone. And should be taken under close supervision.

For example, with effexor, the suicide warning is listed at the TOP of their webpage.

I'd check the common side effects for any drug and see if they are presentin. Sexual issues seem to be listed. Seemingly, lack of desire. I can see how some people who might correlate desire and love for another may be having major issues.

Just a thought!

...Make me a channel of your Peace... (This is the tune usually going through my head.)

Well, I could really use some but instead I'll just the day away...
Old May 4, '12, 7:32 pm

Religion: Catholic - Roman Rite

All I can really say is I will pray for you. I'm so sorry you are having the difficulties you are having. Marital problems are always difficult, so much more so when it seemsl like there is no solution.

None of us can know what the future holds, but cling to your faith in Christ, and even your faith in your spouse. Be honest and be there as much as you can.
Old May 4, '12, 8:22 pm
Greeter

Quote:
Then she should tell her psychiatrist about that. It could be that Effexor is not the right medication for her. She should not stop taking it without being weaned off of it, though. Some of the newer anti-depressants can cause nasty withdrawal symptoms unless you wean away from them slowly as you ramp up another medication.

Please tell your wife not to settle for just survival. There is a better way, than living but not enjoying life.
Tried but she is content with what she has. Yeah i know all about what happens when one stops/ run out of this drug.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life