Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 5, '12, 10:44 am

Religion: Catholic
Question Are certain people predestined to Heaven?

Were some of the people in the scriptures predestined to heaven from birth according to God's plan? Ex. The Blessed Virgin was concieved without original sin at birth, so she could give birth to the Son of God. Was she also predestined for heaven at birth? Another example, was St. Peter predestined, because God chose to give him the keys to the kingdom? Was this all part of God's pre determined plan?
Old May 5, '12, 11:55 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic Christianity
Default Re: Are certain people predestined to Heaven?

Nope, they always had the choice whether or not to follow Him and as such could have chosen not to do so.
“Being Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction....There is nothing more beautiful than to know Him and to speak to others of our friendship with Him."
Old May 5, '12, 11:59 am

Send a message via AIM to Layp3rs0n

In the case of Mary, yes. For all others that are not Jesus, no.
Old May 5, '12, 12:03 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Jewish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BListon View Post
Were some of the people in the scriptures predestined to heaven from birth according to God's plan? Ex. The Blessed Virgin was concieved without original sin at birth, so she could give birth to the Son of God. Was she also predestined for heaven at birth? Another example, was St. Peter predestined, because God chose to give him the keys to the kingdom? Was this all part of God's pre determined plan?
I suppose for Calvinists, the answer is yes, in fact double predestination, if I recall correctly. But not according to Catholicism or Judaism, in which human free will plays such a vital role in our lives.
Old May 5, '12, 12:23 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltzerboy View Post
I suppose for Calvinists, the answer is yes, in fact double predestination, if I recall correctly. But not according to Catholicism or Judaism, in which human free will plays such a vital role in our lives.

Not all Calvinists believe in double Predestination... only Hyper-Calvinists take that stance.

Interestingly, Jesus knew that Judas was not a true follower, but choosing him anyway. Christ says in John 17:12 (NAB):

When I was with them I protected them in your name that you gave me, and I guarded them, and none of them was lost except the son of destruction, in order that the scripture might be fulfilled.

Something to ponder...
Old May 5, '12, 12:26 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layp3rs0n View Post
In the case of Mary, yes. For all others that are not Jesus, no.
No, mary wasn't predestined. It was her total and sustained yes to God(and so to His saving grace) that got her there, she could have chosen to sin had she wanted to.
“Being Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction....There is nothing more beautiful than to know Him and to speak to others of our friendship with Him."
Old May 5, '12, 12:29 pm

Yes. Free will notwithstanding, it is possible for God to give such a superabundance of grace to an individual as to make it practically impossible for him not to die in a state of grace. However, in its Decree on Justification, chapter 12, the Council of Trent cautions against anyone presuming to be among such persons:
No one, moreover, so long as he is in this mortal life, ought so far to presume as regards the secret mystery of divine predestination, as to determine for certain that he is assuredly in the number of the predestinate; as if it were true, that he that is justified, either cannot sin any more, or, if he do sin, that he ought to promise himself an assured repentance; for except by special revelation, it cannot be known whom God hath chosen unto Himself. (source)
That some people are practically assured heaven should not be a cause of concern since God gives everyone sufficient grace to be saved.

Last edited by Todd Easton; May 5, '12 at 12:48 pm.
Old May 5, '12, 2:49 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

How about the innocents?For example,my youngest brother was born profoundly mentally and physically handicapped.His IQ was probably that of a five months old.He was baptized and lived to the age of thirty eight. Given he was completely incapable of guile,or sin,I like to think he went straight to heaven upon his death.
Old May 7, '12, 6:07 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
How about the innocents?For example,my youngest brother was born profoundly mentally and physically handicapped.His IQ was probably that of a five months old.He was baptized and lived to the age of thirty eight. Given he was completely incapable of guile,or sin,I like to think he went straight to heaven upon his death.
Baptism removes both original sin and personal sin. In the case of your brother from what you say he would then be incapable of mortally sinning and so would be saved at death.
However, I don't think this has anything to do with predestination because a person without mental incapacity would be saved if they die immediately after baptism, and a person who goes to Confession and has their sins absolved would be saved if they die immediately after Confession.
Old May 7, '12, 8:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Easton View Post
Yes. Free will notwithstanding, it is possible for God to give such a superabundance of grace to an individual as to make it practically impossible for him not to die in a state of grace. However, in its Decree on Justification, chapter 12, the Council of Trent cautions against anyone presuming to be among such persons:
No one, moreover, so long as he is in this mortal life, ought so far to presume as regards the secret mystery of divine predestination, as to determine for certain that he is assuredly in the number of the predestinate; as if it were true, that he that is justified, either cannot sin any more, or, if he do sin, that he ought to promise himself an assured repentance; for except by special revelation, it cannot be known whom God hath chosen unto Himself. (source)
That some people are practically assured heaven should not be a cause of concern since God gives everyone sufficient grace to be saved.
Thanks, that's a very helpful explanation from Trent. It's always amazing to me (although it shouldn't be) how smart those people were back then. they may not have had indoor plumbing but they knew their faith.
Old May 8, '12, 8:46 am

Catholics believe in the predestination of the elect but only God knows who the elect are unless He grants this knowledge to a person by special private revelation.

If you don't believe me then ask St. Thomas Aquinas.

Catholics don't believe that anyone is predestined for Hell--they go there by their own choice.

And all who are saved cooperate with God in their salvation.
Old May 9, '12, 8:41 pm

I kinda have to say yes and no. I do remember somewhere in the bible where it talks about the potter and the clay, and I think it also says something that certain people were made for destruction, as part of the plan of God. Now I am not fully certain, but I will read again, and if somebody can, enlighten me on it.
Old May 10, '12, 5:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BListon View Post
yeah i think so. God forsaw all their decision and he knew with infalliability that they will be in heaven.
Ubenedictus
Old May 10, '12, 6:10 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubenedictus View Post
yeah i think so. God forsaw all their decision and he knew with infalliability that they will be in heaven.
Ubenedictus
That's not predestination though, as they still had to co-operate with God's grace in order to be saved. God's knows us so well He knows what we will choose, He doesn't make it impossible for us not to choose it-which is what predestination is. No one is automatically bound for heaven or hell.
Old May 10, '12, 9:00 am

Catholics DO believe in the predestination of the Elect.

The word predestination is in the bible--even Catholic translations of the bible.

You can't act like that word and it's truth isn't there.

The Catholic Church teaches predestination of the Elect.

It also teaches the freewill of man.

Both are true!

But since we don't KNOW if we are the Elect or not--only God knows--we must obey St. Pauls and "Work out our salvation with fear and trembling".

But the other side of the coin is that Catholics also believe in the divine Mercy of Jesus.

Catholics BOTH trust Jesus AND fear and tremble.

The truth is BOTH!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture