Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 1, '12, 11:23 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Repealing SB48. Open-minded or dangerous.

Please explain to me the dangers of SB 48--http://www.stopsb48.com/. I understand that this will bring awareness of the LGBTQ to public schools, but I do not understand how this bill will force schools to "endorse" the lifestyle.

My view on the matter is that "homosexual history" should be mentioned because one cannot change one's sexual orientation and should also discourage discrimination/hate towards those of different orientations; however, schools should discourage the open homosexual actions due to its harmful repercussions on participants and society. What are your two cents on the issue of having an Open education for children? Open being defined as not just avoid dogmatic ideologies, but also to avoid being wishy washy and allowing all views into the arena, ESPECIALLY THE CATHOLIC VIEW (talking to those who want us "ignorant" Catholics/Christians to shut up), as well as the liberal view.
Old May 1, '12, 11:38 pm

Default Re: Repealing SB48. Open-minded or dangerous.

"SB 48 forces teachers and administrators to enter into the divisive debate over sexual orientation and morality and to portray only one side of that debate. They are being asked not to tolerate but to advocate."

The way it looks to me is that teachers will be forced to discuss the sexual orientation of individuals, presenting the LGBTQ agenda as equally acceptable with heterosexual orientation. For many parents, discussion of these issues in the early grades is inappropriate, as they believe it should be up to the parents.
Do we really want teachers explaining that sodomy is okay to first and second graders, who don't even understand the concept -- but believe me, older kids will be happy to explain it to them graphically.
Why should we mention the homosexual orientation of any famous people? We don't talk about George Washington's sex life, or Lincoln's, or Amelia Earhart's -- it's irrelevant to the accomplishments of anyone.
Old May 2, '12, 12:21 am
Banned

Quote:
Open being defined as not just avoid dogmatic ideologies, but also to avoid being wishy washy and allowing all views into the arena, ESPECIALLY THE CATHOLIC VIEW (talking to those who want us "ignorant" Catholics/Christians to shut up), as well as the liberal view.
I think you are quite naive if you actually believe this will be an open discussion an not indoctrination for approval/tolerance/acceptance of homosexuality. If anything this will make the Catholic/Christian view be shut up more strictly and give those who are Pro-Homosexuality the official backing by the school so they can feel entitled to shut their ears to anything any Christian/Catholic has to say.
Old May 2, '12, 1:06 am

Honestly my issue with this has nothing to do with LGBT lifestyles... I think we need to start teaching Math and Science (especially Computer Science). It's a great idea to teach children that we should treat everyone with respect and understanding. I'm all for that. But let's concentrate on teaching them to compete in the world market and perhaps have A class in morality. Not being moral to one ethnic group or one lifestyle group or one whatever... If we are going to teach morality, let's teach it. Not say "be moral to this group because..." and "be moral to that group because..." Let's just sum it up and say "Be Moral!" then get back to 3x+4 = 13... Solve for x...

Just my thoughts

God bless

See all; close a charitable eye to most of it; make corrections little by little.

JohnXXIII
Old May 2, '12, 5:12 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

It's a sad day when schools no longer teach children to write in cursive but they teach them about peoples sexual orientations and lifestyles....

I had a customer tell me two days ago that children don't need to know cursive anymore because everything is done on the computer....

Great, a generation who can't even sign their own name. But hey, look at the bright side, they'll have respect for the the LGBT community....
Old May 5, '12, 2:31 pm

So in sum, since it was not necessary to mention the sexuality of heterosexual historical figures, it is also not necessary to discuss the sexuality of homosexual historical figures. Also, it is ridiculous to discuss such acts in irrevalent classes.

It just occured to me now. If this law passed, sex ed would encourage such disgusting acts, just as it encouraged contraceptive sex. . I still remember when I was young, and no one discouraged such action, I thought it was ok that those whom were having sex with contraceptive methods was ok...until confirmaton classes, christian clubs, and youth groups, said otherwise, and now as a college student I'm reading and listening to the side effects of unchastity. If this law passed, God save America. I just I wish I had the spirit to vocalize such opinion in my school. Please pray for the youth of our nation.
Old May 7, '12, 4:04 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viki63 View Post
The way it looks to me is that teachers will be forced to discuss the sexual orientation of individuals, presenting the LGBTQ agenda as equally acceptable with heterosexual orientation. For many parents, discussion of these issues in the early grades is inappropriate, as they believe it should be up to the parents.
I don't think this law (Fair, Accurate, Inclusive, and Respectful Education Act) has any effect on early grades. The topics being mentioned (early history of California and the "economic, political, and social development of California and the United States of America") seem to be middle school and high school topics.

Here is a link to the text of the law, which was passed and signed by the governor, last summer:
http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bil..._chaptered.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEyeKnight View Post
So in sum, since it was not necessary to mention the sexuality of heterosexual historical figures, it is also not necessary to discuss the sexuality of homosexual historical figures. Also, it is ridiculous to discuss such acts in irrevalent classes.
But the sexuality of heterosexual historical figures is mentioned all the time. We talk about Martha Washington or Mary Todd Lincoln or "Lemondade Lucy." The law isn't about sex or sexual practices. Its about sexual orientation, and that some important historical figures were gay.

Since this law has now been in effect for an entire school year, what changes have been made to schooling?

Last edited by Dale_M; May 7, '12 at 4:14 am.
Old May 7, '12, 4:38 am

Religion: Spoony Roman Catholic

Here's what I don't get.
In California, there's a law encouraging schools to teach that the GLBT lifestyle is a legitimate lifestyle and yet there are no programs from the state legislature which encourage the public schools to improve in the teaching of mathematics, science, English or other more relevant subjects?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice