Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 1, '12, 10:32 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Tell the spouse being cheated on?

If experience has led you to believe that someone you know is involved in an affair, and you've confronted that soon-to-be-divorced partner in the arrangement, should you tell spouse of the other partner that they are being cheated on? Faith and God are of minor consequence to both involved. What would Jesus do? What would Mother Teresa say? What do love and justice require?
Old May 2, '12, 2:39 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Default Re: Tell the spouse being cheated on?

I would tread very carefully indeed.

I would want to be pretty close to certain that the affair is happening, and that it is something current and not something that might have been broken off already.

Is there any possibility that the cheater could deny everything and be believed? And how would it impact on your friendship if the cheater WAS believed to be innocent?

Do you know what your friend's attitude is to a) cheating (some actually are wiling to look the other way as long as the spouse acts in a sufficiently loving and attentive way to them, some would take the opportunity to cheat themselves if possible) and b) being told or not being told (I think the vast majority would rather be told though).

All these aspects need to be considered.

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old May 2, '12, 4:20 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic Revert

The question to me would be..."What purpose would telling them serve to tell them?"

This is probably something best talked over with your confessor.

Peace
James

The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old May 2, '12, 4:35 am
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic, Carmelite OCDS

Besides the very real chance of contracting STD's, the "cheater" frequently has a history of infidelity. I know a person who forgave whenever the cheater confessed, time and again, only to be disillusioned with further incidences that destroyed trust completely. Each new hurt was exceedingly more painful, because the spouse may be suffering from sexual addictions and/or the macho desire to captivate, both of which need counselling and much prayer.

I would want to know, under the circumstances. The wayward spouse may be a first-timer, but the one with whom he/she is cheating with may have a long list of significant others. The evidence of a STD may be dormant until the person's later years, and many are incurable. Dermatologists can testify to these dangers, which are more prevalent than ever in our culture.

May the thoughts of my heart and the words of my mouth find favor before you,
O Lord, that I may always be pleasing to Thee. Psalm 19:14
Old May 2, '12, 5:41 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by indymb View Post
If experience has led you to believe that someone you know is involved in an affair, and you've confronted that soon-to-be-divorced partner in the arrangement, should you tell spouse of the other partner that they are being cheated on? Faith and God are of minor consequence to both involved. What would Jesus do? What would Mother Teresa say? What do love and justice require?
Talk to your priest about it. You probably shouldn't get into the middle of this situation.
Old May 2, '12, 6:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirach2 View Post
Besides the very real chance of contracting STD's, the "cheater" frequently has a history of infidelity. I know a person who forgave whenever the cheater confessed, time and again, only to be disillusioned with further incidences that destroyed trust completely. Each new hurt was exceedingly more painful, because the spouse may be suffering from sexual addictions and/or the macho desire to captivate, both of which need counselling and much prayer.

I would want to know, under the circumstances. The wayward spouse may be a first-timer, but the one with whom he/she is cheating with may have a long list of significant others. The evidence of a STD may be dormant until the person's later years, and many are incurable. Dermatologists can testify to these dangers, which are more prevalent than ever in our culture.

Curious about the Dermatologist? A skin doctor? Not the type of doctor I think of for this. A female will generally be tested by way of her Gynocologist. A male through his general practitioner, or perhaps a urologist. I suppose a derm. could order these tests.

Regardless, the OP asks "experience has lead you to BELIEVE"... That's a lot of room for error. Before you shatter a person you better KNOW! If you're concerned for a person's health, and this is someone you can speak freely with, I'd just suggest some common sense testing. Unless you witnessed something, I'd be hard pressed to share my beliefs that aren't doctrine.

...Make me a channel of your Peace... (This is the tune usually going through my head.)

Well, I could really use some but instead I'll just the day away...
Old May 2, '12, 7:58 pm

Religion: Half-way Catholic

I will add my two cents. My husband was previously married many years back. He was attending a Church of Christ at the time. It turns out that his ex had been telling the ladies at the church how unhappy she was and that she was planning on leaving him. My husband had no clue until right before she left, and he was furious when he found out that many people at the church knew but didn't say anything to him. Based on his experience, if you find out for sure that there is infidelity going on, I would say something.
Old May 3, '12, 4:34 am
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic, Carmelite OCDS

Faithfully,
I'm sorry you did not give much credence to my two cents. Yes, there are definitely conditions that are sexually transmitted and affect the genital skin of both male and female. One that comes to mind is a HIV virus (not AIDS) and can never be cured - only treated. Thinking it was a problem with the skin, my friend went to a dermatologist and had a biopsy that confirmed the HIV condition. It did not appear for many years, so it was not symptomatic for a gynecologist's exam.

It is not only the matter of disease, but the total emotional havoc that I cannot even begin to demonstrate in these few words, for the both spouse and the children and the destruction of family life.

May the thoughts of my heart and the words of my mouth find favor before you,
O Lord, that I may always be pleasing to Thee. Psalm 19:14
Old May 3, '12, 12:16 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

If a friend KNEW for a fact, and didn't tell me, I'd be furious.
But don't go on "believe".
Old May 3, '12, 6:14 pm

Religion: Latin Catholic leaning East

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKH View Post
The question to me would be..."What purpose would telling them serve to tell them?"

This is probably something best talked over with your confessor.

Peace
James
This.
Old May 3, '12, 7:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirach2 View Post
Faithfully,
I'm sorry you did not give much credence to my two cents. Yes, there are definitely conditions that are sexually transmitted and affect the genital skin of both male and female. One that comes to mind is a HIV virus (not AIDS) and can never be cured - only treated. Thinking it was a problem with the skin, my friend went to a dermatologist and had a biopsy that confirmed the HIV condition. It did not appear for many years, so it was not symptomatic for a gynecologist's exam.

It is not only the matter of disease, but the total emotional havoc that I cannot even begin to demonstrate in these few words, for the both spouse and the children and the destruction of family life.
Not that I didn't give credence, the derm is generally not your go to for STD's. I imagine even a dentist as well as an ENT can share some horror stories. That's all.

I guess I just don't think in terms of skin disease, I think in terms of reproductive destruction. HPV causing cancer. Scarred tubes. Regardless, disease is a very serious issue here.

...Make me a channel of your Peace... (This is the tune usually going through my head.)

Well, I could really use some but instead I'll just the day away...
Old May 4, '12, 9:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by indymb View Post
I have no idea what Jesus or BMT would do, but I would tread very, very carefully. I know of two marriages that were destroyed by accusations of infidelity that turned out to be wrong. In one of the situations the woman who started the accusations alientated her parents, siblings, and other family members over the damage she caused.

Luna
Old May 5, '12, 5:41 pm

Religion: Christian

They are in the middle of a divorce? Then the partner probably already knows. If they are soon to be divorced, then they are probably not living together as husband and wife at this point... so what is the point of telling?

Can you PROVE that they are cheating? To what degree are they cheating? Most are assuming sex here, but unless you are really good friends or a room mate and can see or hear the sex, how do you know they are having sex?

You know that some people become more angry at the person who tells them about something like this (if they don't already know) than they are at the cheating spouse. You could be putting your friendship with this person in danger.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life