Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Answers--Today > Radio (Catholic Answers Live)

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 17, '12, 5:28 am

Religion: Catholic convert
Default Jesse Romero

Did anyone hear the show yesterday with Patrick Coffin and his guest, Jesse Romero? They were talking about the Spiritual Implications of Illegal Immigration and Mr. Romero used a fancy word to describe the heresy of breaking laws which are believed to be too difficult, but which are actually just. I can't remember the word. It begins with the letter "N" and I was trying to tell my philosopher husband about it, but I can't remember the word.

Anyone? Thanks!
Old Apr 17, '12, 6:40 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Jesse Romero

Non-negotiables?
Old Apr 17, '12, 6:57 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

I didn't hear the show because I just can't listen to Jesse Romero. It's nothing personal...well, I guess it's completely personal because I just can't stand his style . Pretty much the same thing some people say about Dr. Ray, but I love Dr. Ray, so to each his own. But I digress

Anyway, Jesse Romero has a one hour call in show on Tuesday's on EWTN. The show is called "Reasons for Faith." You could always try calling his show and asking him personally. He may even expound on the topic. The call in number is 888-526-2151 and the show is on at 2:00 EST.

He also allows email questions at his email address [email protected].
Old Apr 17, '12, 1:25 pm
Trial Membership

Antinomianism
Old Apr 17, '12, 2:18 pm
Book Club Member

Antinomianism

I did not like the show. I felt that, when it suited them it was a political show and when they were challenged on the politics it became a discussion of the spiritual implications of breaking the law.

If one was going to have a discussion of Antinomianism then one should have that discussion in and of itself- to tie it to the breaking of ONE set of laws but not another, or to leave out the socio-economic implications of the set of laws being discussed is to have a one dimensional discussion.

It is also interesting, in my mind, that we could be urged by Faithful Catholics to perform acts of Civil Disobedience when confronted with the enactment of one set of laws or mandates that we see as an attack on religious freedom and not be accused of heresy. I am thinking that perhaps it is the support by the magisterium of one set of laws over another that makes the determination?

I don't know - I just know it was not one of the better discussions.

I have a great deal of respect for Mr. Coffin but he is not a very good moderator. I miss Jerry Usher.
Old May 6, '12, 1:50 am

Hi Leslie,

I agree with you. I thought it was essentially a political issue and while Jesse may have touched on some spiritual aspects of illegal immigration, a lot of what he said could apply equally legal immigrants. For example, he spoke about the pattern of lifestyle of some illegal immigrant men from Mexico (working for poor wages, smoking and drinking, bigamy, and so on), which, I think, could also apply to male immigrants who enter the US legally.

If the discussion was going to be based on immigration law, it should have focused more on that specific law and whether aspects of it were just or unjust. Otherwise, it just seemed like a bit of a mishmash and, indeed, far too political.

Jonathan
Melbourne, Australia
Old May 29, '12, 5:10 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Irish Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredcello View Post
Mr. Romero used a fancy word to describe the heresy of breaking laws which are believed to be too difficult, but which are actually just.
Anyone? Thanks!
Its called Ronald Conte-ism. As in publishing your own version of Catholic bibles and Catholic catechisms in violation of canon law. The same as using a website with the 'Catholic' name as in CatholicPlanet without juridictional bishop approval. These are all Ronald Conte-ism's.
Old Jan 11, '13, 11:15 pm
Prayer Warrior

I enjoy listening to Jesse Romero. His viewpoint comes from his personal understanding of immigration. Both of his parents immigrated from Mexico and his love for the Catholic Faith is intoxicating.

Non Abbiate Paura. Peace & Light.
Julie Marie
Old May 19, '13, 3:03 pm

He spoke at the North Texas Catholic Men's Conference a few weeks ago ... we thought he was great. Of course, I grew up in a Pentecostal church before finding my way across the Tiber, so his style is not shocking for my ears.
Old May 19, '13, 3:28 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I saw him in person when where he was the speaker on a series on Catholic apologetics at a L.A. area church in 2007. I was quite impressed with his knowledge and defense of the Catholic faith.
Old Jul 23, '13, 10:10 am
Prayer Warrior

I really like Jesse. His speaking style really inspires and motivates me. Although I missed the radio show on immigration, I'll have to listen to it on podcast.
Old Jul 23, '13, 12:19 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz1128 View Post
I really like Jesse. His speaking style really inspires and motivates me. Although I missed the radio show on immigration, I'll have to listen to it on podcast.
Me too - Jesse Romero is terrific!!!
Old Jul 23, '13, 12:29 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz1128 View Post
I am listening now, and he starts out with the crux of the issue, which very simply is that we should all follow the law...

The Spiritual Implications of Illegal Immigration
http://www.catholic.com/radio/shows/...igration-6984#
Old Jul 23, '13, 11:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by westNwewaxation View Post
I am listening now, and he starts out with the crux of the issue, which very simply is that we should all follow the law...
The HHS mandate?
Old Jul 24, '13, 9:49 am
Book Club Member

I'm not actually a big fan of Catholic Answers Live, but this was a good show overall, esp if you like Jesse Romero like I do. I really don't understand why people can't understand that immigration law is not some arbitrary law. There have to be limits placed on our resources as a nation, and if you think the immigration laws are too stringent, there is a system for changing those laws. Most Mexican immigrants, as Jesse says in the show, are not refugees from extreme poverty, as Mexico is the most prosperous nation in central america. And if they are refugees there is the avenue of seeking asylum, rather than standard immigration. Many many illegal aliens are here only to make more money than they can make at home. This depresses wages for low-wage American citizens and causes many other problems too for the USA. Mexico needs to respect our laws, but since they are clearly not going to do that, we need to use e-verify to close off the job magnet, and establish border security.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Answers--Today > Radio (Catholic Answers Live)