Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #16  
Old May 4, '12, 9:17 pm
po18guy's Avatar
po18guy po18guy is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: April 18, 2007
Posts: 24,430
Default Re: Someone on youtube Wants to Discuss Catholicism; How do I Share?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJuliane View Post


Sorry, OF COURSE that is what I meant to write!!!

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old May 5, '12, 7:36 am
Crescentinus's Avatar
Crescentinus Crescentinus is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 5, 2012
Posts: 4,272
Religion: Spoony Roman Catholic
Default Re: Someone on youtube Wants to Discuss Catholicism; How do I Share?

I sincerely hope that it is not a trap.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old May 5, '12, 5:49 pm
TheRealJuliane TheRealJuliane is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 11, 2010
Posts: 19,026
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Someone on youtube Wants to Discuss Catholicism; How do I Share?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescentinus View Post
I sincerely hope that it is not a trap.
On Youtube? Very likely, and I would not bother, actually. I've gotten into some very fruitless arguments against pro-aborts on Youtube. I think they about 12 years old, and very stupid.

Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old May 6, '12, 2:12 pm
LittleSoldier's Avatar
LittleSoldier LittleSoldier is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 27, 2009
Posts: 5,673
Religion: ONE HOLY CATHOLIC AND APOSTOLIC CHURCH - Revert
Default Re: Someone on youtube Wants to Discuss Catholicism; How do I Share?

Thank you, everyone, for your responses. I'm aware (and a little afraid) that this might be a trap. In fact, I'm aware that there is a good chance it is a trap. But, just in case it isn't, I feel that I must respond to this person. One thing I did to protect myself was to tell her that I have very limited time to respond to her. So I have days to think of responses.

The first question was the typical "Jesus is the one mediator" question, along with the old "praying to dead people." I've asked her to define "one" as used in "one mediator." I told her that first we need to be sure that we agree on our definitions. I've put off the rest of her question until we agree on definitions.

I like the idea of asking all of you about specific questions. As for "dead saints" there is no problem there as I have four Bible passages which show that the saints are not dead, that God is the God of the living, not the dead, and that the saints present bowls of incense to the Lord, which are their prayers. What in the world would the saints be praying for? They're in Heaven! I doubt they are praying for themselves! There is only one reason I can think of and that is that they pray for us and present those prayers to God.

I know that in the Bible there is a passage which tell us to pray for each other. I don't know the book or number but I can find it easily. Nowhere does it say that Jesus is the ONLY mediator. But I have to admit I'm a bit shaky on this as I'm probably dealing with someone who is sola scriptura.

I know that youtube is full of trolls. Right now I'm responding off and on to a person who has probably a dozens aliases. Most of his posts have been flagged as spam. He lies about me, tells others that I am telling people to worship Mary, etc., yada yada yada. Nothing new. The only reasons I am even responding to him is because it is teaching me charity and because someone might read my responses and wonder why this other poster is so mean and nasty but I'm not. His accusations are so ridiculous that they are a piece of cake to respond to.

I've also found that there are many Catholics on youtube who have produced videos (I'd like to but I don't know how). I've seen some that have brought tears to my eyes. For a long time I didn't think there were any Catholics on youtube besides me. Finding them has been comforting to me. Catholics are speaking out on youtube. I'm very happy about that.

As for youtube itself, I know it's not really moderated and I have to be careful. If I am attacked by this poster I will simply put youtube on my junk list.

She hasn't responded to my request to define "one" yet. I wonder if she will.
__________________
He said to him the third time: Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he had said to him the third time: Lovest thou me? And he said to him: Lord, thou knowest all things: thou knowest that I love thee. He said to him: Feed my sheep.

Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old May 6, '12, 2:12 pm
LittleSoldier's Avatar
LittleSoldier LittleSoldier is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 27, 2009
Posts: 5,673
Religion: ONE HOLY CATHOLIC AND APOSTOLIC CHURCH - Revert
Default Re: Someone on youtube Wants to Discuss Catholicism; How do I Share?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasama View Post
If she asks something you are not sure about, maybe you could post it here and someone could help.
I LOVE this idea! Thank you!
__________________
He said to him the third time: Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he had said to him the third time: Lovest thou me? And he said to him: Lord, thou knowest all things: thou knowest that I love thee. He said to him: Feed my sheep.

Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old May 6, '12, 2:21 pm
LittleSoldier's Avatar
LittleSoldier LittleSoldier is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 27, 2009
Posts: 5,673
Religion: ONE HOLY CATHOLIC AND APOSTOLIC CHURCH - Revert
Default Re: Someone on youtube Wants to Discuss Catholicism; How do I Share?

Quote:
Originally Posted by po18guy View Post
Have this person sign up here. Do not contact them anywhere else.
I hadn't thought of this and I think this may be a very good idea. First of all, I'm poorly catechized and I don't want to post anything that is contrary to Church teaching. Second, I may not be able to get through to her but if she posts here she could receive responses from many CAF members.

I will think about this a little more but right now I am thinking this is probably the best solution. It would take the pressure off of me and it would be better for her, too - unless she is trying to set a trap.

I'm going to think about this a little more but this sounds like it would be the best thing to do. I don't want to blow her off by not responding, and if it is a trap she will be caught in it herself and banned. I want so much to fight for the Church (hence my username) but I'm a very humble soldier (I don't mean I have the gift of humility; I mean I'm just a very bad soldier even though I try).

If she continues to ask typical Protestant sola scriptura, sola fide questions they would be answered so easily here on CAF.
__________________
He said to him the third time: Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he had said to him the third time: Lovest thou me? And he said to him: Lord, thou knowest all things: thou knowest that I love thee. He said to him: Feed my sheep.

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old May 6, '12, 2:37 pm
LittleSoldier's Avatar
LittleSoldier LittleSoldier is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 27, 2009
Posts: 5,673
Religion: ONE HOLY CATHOLIC AND APOSTOLIC CHURCH - Revert
Default Re: Someone on youtube Wants to Discuss Catholicism; How do I Share?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Zelare View Post
Sorry if this post doesn't address the OP directly, I think all the advice they need has already been given

I just wanted to say... that this clearly proves that religious interactions are VERY different online than they are offline (in the real world).

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=670873

This thread asks if religion is more important/ valuable online or offline, or if it is equally important/ valuable in both spheres. Many on the thread said it was equally so.

I myself don't believe this. Simply because the dialogue and discourse over the internet is by nature inferior to face to face, in person sharing of faith. How successful can evangelism be online, when you oftentimes don't even know if the person you're talking to... as stated by the above posts in this thread, "someone to be wary about, who sends unsolicited messages, extremely antagonizing towards Catholics, a spammer, spam bot, have ill intent, a nutcase, or a cult member"

So... in my personal opinion, more people are always going to come to faith in evangelism offline. The internet is a good place to find resources and catechesis, but it's always going to be much much less effective place for evangelism than in person.

Maybe people on that thread were ONLY thinking about religion on CAF. Because a lot of other forums and communities like youtube are no place to grow in faith.
I agree with you. Without inflections and body language who is to know what another person is actually saying? Is it sarcasm? Does mean "I like you" or "BWAHAHAHAHA - what an idiot you are!!" All emoticons can be taken as sarcasm or in other ways in which they are not intended to be taken. I've been accused here of writing a post that was "dripping was bitterness" yet there was no bitterness at all. And if I clarify something that someone has said, most of the time I'm accused of being uncharitable or picky or rude or snarky. My "tone" is rude. My beliefs (as stated ) are "weird and wacky." I'm "blathering on with idiotic comments." But the truth is that I am just trying to present Church teaching and defend the Church (well, at least most of the time - I do get a little uncharitable at times (I hope I'm learning)).

Youtube is turning into a nightmare. It's like a Wikipedia for people who haven't a clue about what they are talking about. "Why I am no longer a Catholic": Well, they told me I have to worship Mary and pray to statues and worship statues and that's idolatry so I quit that church and I'm so glad I did! If you pray the rosary you're worshipping Mary. That is IDOLATRY! The catholic church is the Whore of Babylon. All the priests in the catholic church are pedophiles. The pope is the Anti-Christ and has a lot of children and is a pedophile, too. These catholics worship a wafer. When Jesus was resurrected He didn't show up at the room where the Apostles were as a wafer! What stupid theology! They think God walked around as a wafer. And they put diapers on statues of Jesus and kiss the toe of statues of Mary. IDOLATERS, every one of them! And you can believe me because I used to be a catholic so I know what I'm talking about! Trust me, trust me, trust me. They will all be thrown into the lake of fire - while they're still ALIVE!"

If it weren't so horrendously sad it would be hysterically funny. A giant wafer walking around.
__________________
He said to him the third time: Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he had said to him the third time: Lovest thou me? And he said to him: Lord, thou knowest all things: thou knowest that I love thee. He said to him: Feed my sheep.

Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old May 6, '12, 7:35 pm
TheRealJuliane TheRealJuliane is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 11, 2010
Posts: 19,026
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Someone on youtube Wants to Discuss Catholicism; How do I Share?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleSoldier View Post
I agree with you. Without inflections and body language who is to know what another person is actually saying? Is it sarcasm? Does mean "I like you" or "BWAHAHAHAHA - what an idiot you are!!" All emoticons can be taken as sarcasm or in other ways in which they are not intended to be taken. I've been accused here of writing a post that was "dripping was bitterness" yet there was no bitterness at all. And if I clarify something that someone has said, most of the time I'm accused of being uncharitable or picky or rude or snarky. My "tone" is rude. My beliefs (as stated ) are "weird and wacky." I'm "blathering on with idiotic comments." But the truth is that I am just trying to present Church teaching and defend the Church (well, at least most of the time - I do get a little uncharitable at times (I hope I'm learning)).

Youtube is turning into a nightmare. It's like a Wikipedia for people who haven't a clue about what they are talking about. "Why I am no longer a Catholic": Well, they told me I have to worship Mary and pray to statues and worship statues and that's idolatry so I quit that church and I'm so glad I did! If you pray the rosary you're worshipping Mary. That is IDOLATRY! The catholic church is the Whore of Babylon. All the priests in the catholic church are pedophiles. The pope is the Anti-Christ and has a lot of children and is a pedophile, too. These catholics worship a wafer. When Jesus was resurrected He didn't show up at the room where the Apostles were as a wafer! What stupid theology! They think God walked around as a wafer. And they put diapers on statues of Jesus and kiss the toe of statues of Mary. IDOLATERS, every one of them! And you can believe me because I used to be a catholic so I know what I'm talking about! Trust me, trust me, trust me. They will all be thrown into the lake of fire - while they're still ALIVE!"

If it weren't so horrendously sad it would be hysterically funny. A giant wafer walking around.
That is hilarious. Just the way you wrote that. I think that should be a sticky in the "Other than Catholic" forum. So funny. I know all that stuff is even said on Youtube, but oh my gosh, how stupid can people be...
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old May 6, '12, 11:40 pm
Crescentinus's Avatar
Crescentinus Crescentinus is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 5, 2012
Posts: 4,272
Religion: Spoony Roman Catholic
Default Re: Someone on youtube Wants to Discuss Catholicism; How do I Share?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJuliane View Post
On Youtube? Very likely, and I would not bother, actually. I've gotten into some very fruitless arguments against pro-aborts on Youtube. I think they about 12 years old, and very stupid.

From my experience, YT has declined in quality. Hence, an opportunity to evangelize.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old May 7, '12, 7:42 am
TheRealJuliane TheRealJuliane is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 11, 2010
Posts: 19,026
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Someone on youtube Wants to Discuss Catholicism; How do I Share?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescentinus View Post
From my experience, YT has declined in quality. Hence, an opportunity to evangelize.
I just see it as a waste of my time...No one ever seems to change his or her mind, just dig in deeper and come up with sillier and sillier responses.

Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old May 7, '12, 9:15 am
Joe 5859's Avatar
Joe 5859 Joe 5859 is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: February 1, 2007
Posts: 17,671
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Someone on youtube Wants to Discuss Catholicism; How do I Share?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleSoldier View Post
She hasn't responded to my request to define "one" yet. I wonder if she will.
Yeah, sometimes I get the feeling that if a person thinks it's actually going to require time and effort beyond "drive-by evangelization", then they just give up and move on to another target.

People are busy, too, though.
__________________
Joe (Average Joe Catholic)


The Catechesis of the Popes
__________________
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, itís more than that. Itís a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old May 7, '12, 4:22 pm
LittleSoldier's Avatar
LittleSoldier LittleSoldier is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 27, 2009
Posts: 5,673
Religion: ONE HOLY CATHOLIC AND APOSTOLIC CHURCH - Revert
Default Re: Someone on youtube Wants to Discuss Catholicism; How do I Share?

Well, everyone, it is OVER! I sent her a message telling her (charitably) that if she really wanted to know about Church teaching it might be a good idea to join CAF. I also recommended that she read the CCC. I told her that I am still at the question-asking stage and that there are people on CAF who really know their stuff, including the Greek and Hebrew words (which she had brought up in a message to me).

This was her response:

Message:

Well the reason I ask is not to find an answer. I want to do it because I feel it is blasphemous to pray to someone other than God. I am looking out for you because I love you =) So allow me to just talk to you so we can have discussion. Would that be okay with you my friend? =)

--------------------------------------------------------

Uh, no. It would NOT be OK with me. And I'm not your friend although I am your sister in Christ. I just sent her a message telling her that I had given her the best recommendation I could - CAF and the CCC. I said that if she really loves me to please pray that I discover truth (I got that from something Scott Hahn said, as related to me by someone else - he prayed to teach Catholics Truth and his prayer was answered!) I also said that I (sadly) now believe this to be a trap and that I will no longer respond to questions and/or comments from her.

And I won't. No matter what she writes. And in the future, if this ever happens again, I will refer the person to CAF and the CCC and stay out of it.

Now I'm waiting to see if she shows her true colors. This was an attempt to get me out of the Church. She loves me? I don't even know her! I'm not even sure if she's a "she!" I don't even know if she belongs to a church. I doubt very much that she loves me, especially because I think she's already lied to me or at least has been disingenuous. And why me?

Youtube is a great way to evangelize. I am still posting there, but publicly. There are a lot of Catholics on youtube that are speaking out about their Faith. But this was different. This would have been a private discussion. I am not an apologist. I'm poorly catechized and even though I've learned a lot I am not someone who should be giving private answers about Catholicism. I'm not that good at it. (Yet. ) Maybe someday I will be but I now understand why CAF is so important. It's not "me" versus "them." It's more like "us" speaking truth, supporting each other, clarifying positions, and sometimes being uncharitable and rude (which is to be expected as we are all fallible human beings).

Thank you all so much! I learned an important lesson and if it hadn't been for you I wouldn't have learned it. I would be struggling with foreign words I don't understand and trying my best to defend the Church but with no support. I would probably be looking through the Bible all day and getting frustrated and angry and despairing. I have severe depression. I go into periods of deep despair when I am sure that God does not exist and even if He does I am damned because I'm such an awful sinner. I have been working very hard to pull myself up out of that hole I've been in and in the last few days I've felt that maybe I will succeed. My faith is strong, I'm happy, and I'm hopeful. This person, even without meaning to, could have pushed me back into that hole and that is a horrible place to be.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! And dear God, thank You, too, because You are the one who led me to start this thread and led posters to respond. I'm not all by myself. I'm in the Communion of Saints. And I feel so blessed and loved.
__________________
He said to him the third time: Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he had said to him the third time: Lovest thou me? And he said to him: Lord, thou knowest all things: thou knowest that I love thee. He said to him: Feed my sheep.

Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old May 7, '12, 4:45 pm
TheRealJuliane TheRealJuliane is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 11, 2010
Posts: 19,026
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Someone on youtube Wants to Discuss Catholicism; How do I Share?

Of COURSE you are not all by yourself!!!



Good decision, to cut off contact now. She probably won't respond any more.

Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old May 7, '12, 11:28 pm
LittleSoldier's Avatar
LittleSoldier LittleSoldier is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 27, 2009
Posts: 5,673
Religion: ONE HOLY CATHOLIC AND APOSTOLIC CHURCH - Revert
Default Re: Someone on youtube Wants to Discuss Catholicism; How do I Share?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJuliane View Post
Of COURSE you are not all by yourself!!!



Good decision, to cut off contact now. She probably won't respond any more.

Thank you! Actually, she did respond and I was a bit surprised at what she said. She basically said "OK, if that's the way you want it, but I'd still like to discuss this with you." But I just deleted it. I do wonder why she doesn't come here to tell us all truth - if she loves me so much she must surely love everyone and want us all to know that praying to Mary is idolatry.

It feels like home here. I know I'm not going to be attacked for praying to Mary. We are so hated by so many and it's wonderful to have a place like CAF that is moderated. There is so much spewing of hatred on youtube.

BTW, I did respond to someone who claims he is god. He called me "boy." I told him that if he were really god he would at least know my gender!
__________________
He said to him the third time: Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he had said to him the third time: Lovest thou me? And he said to him: Lord, thou knowest all things: thou knowest that I love thee. He said to him: Feed my sheep.

Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old May 8, '12, 8:26 am
Joe 5859's Avatar
Joe 5859 Joe 5859 is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: February 1, 2007
Posts: 17,671
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Someone on youtube Wants to Discuss Catholicism; How do I Share?

Sorry it turned out that way. I can't say that I'm surprised.

If you look at it from her perspective, she is probably so sure of her own views about how dangerous Catholic teaching is that she feels compelled to "convert" as many Catholics as she can. I can understand that.

I think the whole ordeal illustrates very well what not to do in evangelization. It doesn't make you feel very loved if a person is only talking to you because you're wrong and they're right and if you just listen to them (because, of course, why would they need to listen to you?) then you'll be saved and everyone will be happy.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't like to feel like I'm someone's spiritual conquest.

I firmly believe that one of the best things Catholics can do on the internet is just be present and show others that we are loving, reasonable people. We're not fringe weirdos. We're not mindless idiots. We're not judgmental hypocrites. We're not foul-mouthed trolls. We're ordinary people who speak the truth in love. I think that's the witness that speaks the loudest.

Not to say that it doesn't help for us to know what we're talking about and to be able to articulate the Church's position clearly and convincingly. We need to be able to do that, too. But it doesn't matter how well we do that if we start treating other people like notches in our conversion belt.
__________________
Joe (Average Joe Catholic)


The Catechesis of the Popes
__________________
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, itís more than that. Itís a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8569Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Kellyreneeomara
5241CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4436Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3896Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3876SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3465Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3318Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3237Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3171For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: eschator83



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 8:49 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.