Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old May 5, '12, 11:28 am
mom2em mom2em is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: January 18, 2011
Posts: 590
Religion: Catholic - came home 21/01/11
Default Just nerves -- and a question.

So, the 16th is coming. Faster and faster and faster. And I keep thinking okay, I'm ready for confirmation BUT ... what do I say? Do I have to say anything? Does my sponsor have to say anything? I know to respond "I do" after the creed but other than that not much.

I haven't any classes under my belt. Fr. gave me some books to read and I've read through them, and will again (and again) but I've never been to a confirmation ceremony and everyone I know that might have been to one, can no longer recall it.

So, what happens? Similar to baptism? At our church, before mass starts he calls the parents with their infants to the font, and everyone turns. They're welcomed and blessed and mass starts as normal. After I believe the homily, Fr and the families return to the font, babies are baptised and blessed and return to their seats again. Then things proceed as they might normally til the end where Fr. blesses the mothers and fathers. Mass has ended, go in peace. Thanks be to God.

Will it be similar for confirmation? Only without the font?

I am hoping Fr. has a moment to answer this briefly for me after mass today, but thought I'd pop it on here too.

Sorry for being THAT pain in the toosh
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old May 5, '12, 12:35 pm
Kennywood Kennywood is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: June 15, 2010
Posts: 151
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Just nerves -- and a question.

Hi There,

Because worrying about somethng is WAY worse than whatever actually happens, I wanted to give you something in response. I am sure more learned answers will follow, to fill in detail.

In our parish, Confirmation does also happen during the Mass. The Confirmandi and their sponsors do process in and recess out as part of the usual procession. They stay in their seats until after the homily. Then they line up in the aisle, with their sponsor behind them, coming forward in a line toward the altar. The bishop will confirm them in a quick, quiet ritual and they return to their seat and Mass continues on as usual. There will be a all-inclusive renewal of Baptismal Promises for which everyone in the Church stands and responds to in one voice.

Other than perhaps supplying your Confirmation name and maybe an "Amen," it is not too involved for you

Congratulations. It is quite a moment!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old May 5, '12, 1:07 pm
po18guy's Avatar
po18guy po18guy is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: April 18, 2007
Posts: 24,430
Default Re: Just nerves -- and a question.

Often, at the confirmation of youth, the Bishop will question them about their faith, or the readings at the mass. Nothing too serious, but intended to be thought provoking, and to encourage them to pay attention at mass. Actually we should, at some confirmations, see some sort of manifestation of the Holy Spirit, since that is the nature of the Sacrament.

Call around to see if there is a confirmation between now and then, and go, if you can. It will put your mind at ease.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old May 5, '12, 1:14 pm
NickVA's Avatar
NickVA NickVA is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: August 5, 2010
Posts: 165
Religion: Roman Catholic
Post Re: Just nerves -- and a question.

Before Vat. II they would slap you during confirmation. I believe my dad had it done. now they just address you by your saint's name and anoint you with chrism. that was my experience.
__________________

FRANCISCVS PP

Pray for the reversal of the secularization of America, and the conversion of It's leaders and it's president!

Mount St. Mary's University Class of 2017
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old May 5, '12, 1:48 pm
mom2em mom2em is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: January 18, 2011
Posts: 590
Religion: Catholic - came home 21/01/11
Default Re: Just nerves -- and a question.

I spoke with Fr. before mass this evening, and he has told me basically what has been said here. And that a lady should be contacting me during the week and she will go over everything with me, and what I have been reading. I have not chosen a confirmation name, as of yet. But I will do something thinking and if it is asked of me, I will have one prepared.

I'm quite excited! I've wanted to do this since returning last year and now it's here!!! or almost. hehe I'm just one of those people that kind of turns ant hills into mountains ... even though really, I know to worry or think just THAT much about something isn't too helpful.

Thank you for the replies! hehe and if I needed to be slapped then ... I'm okay with that
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old May 5, '12, 2:02 pm
Phemie Phemie is offline
Forum Master
 
Join Date: November 27, 2007
Posts: 13,500
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Just nerves -- and a question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2em View Post
I spoke with Fr. before mass this evening, and he has told me basically what has been said here. And that a lady should be contacting me during the week and she will go over everything with me, and what I have been reading. I have not chosen a confirmation name, as of yet. But I will do something thinking and if it is asked of me, I will have one prepared.

I'm quite excited! I've wanted to do this since returning last year and now it's here!!! or almost. hehe I'm just one of those people that kind of turns ant hills into mountains ... even though really, I know to worry or think just THAT much about something isn't too helpful.

Thank you for the replies! hehe and if I needed to be slapped then ... I'm okay with that
You or your sponsor will say your name to the Bishop, who will then make the Sign of the Cross on your forehead with the Sacred Chrism saying, "mom2em, be sealed with the Gift of the Holy Spirit," to which you will respond, "Amen."

Then he will say, perhaps while shaking your hand, "Peace be with you," to which you reply 'And also with you."
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old May 5, '12, 3:23 pm
Phaedra777 Phaedra777 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: August 23, 2011
Posts: 498
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Just nerves -- and a question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phemie View Post
You or your sponsor will say your name to the Bishop, who will then make the Sign of the Cross on your forehead with the Sacred Chrism saying, "mom2em, be sealed with the Gift of the Holy Spirit," to which you will respond, "Amen."

Then he will say, perhaps while shaking your hand, "Peace be with you," to which you reply 'And also with you."
"And with your spirit"!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old May 6, '12, 6:26 am
mom2em mom2em is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: January 18, 2011
Posts: 590
Religion: Catholic - came home 21/01/11
Default Re: Just nerves -- and a question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phemie View Post
You or your sponsor will say your name to the Bishop, who will then make the Sign of the Cross on your forehead with the Sacred Chrism saying, "mom2em, be sealed with the Gift of the Holy Spirit," to which you will respond, "Amen."

Then he will say, perhaps while shaking your hand, "Peace be with you," to which you reply 'And also with you."
That's what Fr. told me. He also told me I could stand in the line for himself or the Bishop. I'm not particular there. I've loved most everyone I have met since going back. It'd be a little funny if he said mom2em. But yep thats exactly what he told me, right do to "and also with you."

I was reading an old post before mass yesterday where someone was asking if that had/would change with the new translation. Can't remember now if anyone said definetly.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old May 6, '12, 7:19 am
wasserfall wasserfall is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: February 29, 2012
Posts: 560
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Just nerves -- and a question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickVA View Post
Before Vat. II they would slap you during confirmation. I believe my dad had it done. now they just address you by your saint's name and anoint you with chrism. that was my experience.
Confirmations done using the traditional rite. (i.e. Extraordinary Form Confirmation) still involves the slap. Sometimes I'm surprised that so few bishops are willing to learn the EF Confirmation. You'd think they'd be glad to have the opportunity to slap the traditionalists around a bit.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old May 6, '12, 8:18 am
Phemie Phemie is offline
Forum Master
 
Join Date: November 27, 2007
Posts: 13,500
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Just nerves -- and a question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedra777 View Post
"And with your spirit"!!
I thought about that as I was copying from the Rite and I'm not sure of that.

I may well be wrong but to me there is a difference between his saying "Peace be with you," and saying "The peace of the Lord be with you." The ministers around him at the altar wouldn't respond "And with your spirit," when he's shaking hands with them after we've all responded "And with your spirit," would they? At that point it's his personal sign of peace, isn't it?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old May 7, '12, 6:12 pm
Phaedra777 Phaedra777 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: August 23, 2011
Posts: 498
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Just nerves -- and a question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phemie View Post
I thought about that as I was copying from the Rite and I'm not sure of that.

I may well be wrong but to me there is a difference between his saying "Peace be with you," and saying "The peace of the Lord be with you." The ministers around him at the altar wouldn't respond "And with your spirit," when he's shaking hands with them after we've all responded "And with your spirit," would they? At that point it's his personal sign of peace, isn't it?
I just got confirmed April 20th, and we were told to respond, "And with your spirit."
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old May 7, '12, 6:23 pm
Phemie Phemie is offline
Forum Master
 
Join Date: November 27, 2007
Posts: 13,500
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Just nerves -- and a question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedra777 View Post
I just got confirmed April 20th, and we were told to respond, "And with your spirit."
OK, I was wrong. Thank you for the correction.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8480Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: suko
5153CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: Vim71
4429Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: daughterstm
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3864SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3763Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3332Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3288Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
3225Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3116For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Weejee



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 1:48 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.