Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: Of these choices who would you vote for President of the United States?
Obama 13 16.05%
Romney 46 56.79%
Other 7 8.64%
Neither / Don't know / Refuse 15 18.52%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 25, '12, 3:30 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic (Oblate of St Benedict-MotRC)
Default Re: Romney, Obama in Tight Race as Gallup Daily Tracking Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Abyssinia View Post
Late abortionist Bernard Nathason, Norma McCorvey (Jane Roe of roe vs wade), Ronald Reagon and Mitt Romney all used to be pro choice, converting to being pro life.

I think some should show more of a Christian attitude of acceptance towards pro life converts. Conversions should be appreciated.
Yup. And conversions in this direction make sense. "Wow, it really is a human being". Ones that go the other way (Al Gore, for example): not so much.

<--click
Totus Tuus
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
Old Apr 25, '12, 3:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVobis View Post
My first vote for president was for Nixon, only because I didn't want Humphrey.

And how did that work out?
Oh, well I'm not voting for Romney just because I don't like Obama. While I do think Obama is the worst president in American history (gas prices going up by 90% since he took office, loss of AAA rating, $5 trillion debt in under four years as president, unemployment still at least at 8%, etc.), I legitimately like Mitt Romney. Sure, he's not far-right like Gingrich, he's still center-right; I'm all right with a candidate as long as he or she is conservative, even if not very. He was great at fixing Massachusetts' debt problem (which Deval Patrick brought back), so I'm sure with two terms he would do pretty well as President. I don't really take issue with his belief in Mormonism; while I disagree with multiple things that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints teaches, I still think it's possible for a Mormon to be a Christian.
Old Apr 25, '12, 6:41 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Daly View Post
G.W. Bush has stated on numerous occassions that one of the goals of the "war on terror" is to rid the world of evil.

The idea that military might and technological progress are pushing man ever closer to perfection is at the heart of many materialistic worldviews- Marxist Communism or American Capitalism being just two examples.
Why such blatant twisting of Bush's words, Dan? Right after 9-11 Bush said, "My administration has a job to do and we're going to do it. We will rid the world of the evil-doers," he said. - in other words, get rid of THE EVIL-DOERS WHO PERPETRATED THE ATTACKS ON THE US - not "all evil". Your are taking a quote out of context to bolster your weak argument.

Please cite where any pro-capitalist economist or philosopher claims that capitalism can perfect mankind like the Marxist philosophy predicts a man-made utopia.

Let me know what you find.

Ishii
Old Apr 25, '12, 7:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlg94086 View Post
Indeed. Let's take the advice of a bigoted Protestant.
Define bigotry. If someone where a worshipper of Baal, would you believe it to be bigotry not to vote for him because of his religious beliefs? What about Voodoo? And on and on and on. Pick your poison. Where to draw the line? Please.

And all your views on Romney come from his words, not his actions. Keep on believing, I guess. Just as long as your bubble remains intact and you don't have to wake up.
Old Apr 25, '12, 10:09 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nec5 View Post
Define bigotry. If someone where a worshipper of Baal, would you believe it to be bigotry not to vote for him because of his religious beliefs? What about Voodoo? And on and on and on. Pick your poison. Where to draw the line? Please.

And all your views on Romney come from his words, not his actions. Keep on believing, I guess. Just as long as your bubble remains intact and you don't have to wake up.
I'm familiar with his words and his actions, and I find him a fine choice. I don't know what you mean by "keep on believing." I'm certain he will be the nominee, so there isn't any "belief" involved. I'm also certain that he is a much better choice than Obama.

Regarding the "worshiper of Baal" and "Voodoo" comments...I doubt it would come up. How about this, though. If a Muslim candidate shared my values, I would certainly vote for him. If a Fundamentalist Christian candidate shared my values, I would certainly vote for him. If an Atheist shared my values, I would certainly vote for him. If a Pagan shared my values, I would certainly vote for him. Is that enough?

I'm a values voter. If the candidate is pro-life, pro-Constitution, pro-traditional marriage and believes in a limited federal government, in line with both the Constitution and the Social Doctrine of the Church, I would vote for that candidate. Romney fits that description.

Whom are you voting for? None of the above? I don't think "none of the above" will get elected.
Old Apr 26, '12, 5:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Abyssinia View Post
I think some should show more of a Christian attitude of acceptance towards pro life converts. Conversions should be appreciated.
Conversions are appreciated.
But I must be confident there is a real conversion.

I am not.

Z
Old May 3, '12, 7:29 pm

The more one looks at government, the more depressed one gets.LOL They are both puppets of the banks... the same banks, that put the world into a global recession.

I want to hear some from fresh ideas not blame, not insults, and least of all who is a champion of the constitution.
Old May 7, '12, 8:55 pm

Santorum endorses former rival Romney as GOP presidential candidate

WASHINGTON Rick Santorum is endorsing his one-time bitter rival Mitt Romney in a late-night e-mail to his supporters.

Santorum on Monday urged his supporters to join him in working with the effective Republican nominee to deny President Barack Obama a second term. In his message, Santorum reminded his supporters of areas where he disagreed with Romney during their slog of a primary.

Yet Santorum says that, in his words, "above all else, we both agree that President Obama must be defeated."
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...tics+-+Text%29
Old May 7, '12, 9:42 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldera View Post
Santorum endorses former rival Romney as GOP presidential candidate

WASHINGTON Rick Santorum is endorsing his one-time bitter rival Mitt Romney in a late-night e-mail to his supporters.

Santorum on Monday urged his supporters to join him in working with the effective Republican nominee to deny President Barack Obama a second term. In his message, Santorum reminded his supporters of areas where he disagreed with Romney during their slog of a primary.

Yet Santorum says that, in his words, "above all else, we both agree that President Obama must be defeated."
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...tics+-+Text%29
I figured he would come around. In 2008, he had glowing praise for Romney and called him the "conservative choice."
Old May 9, '12, 3:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlg94086 View Post
I figured he would come around. In 2008, he had glowing praise for Romney and called him the "conservative choice."
I thought he did an excellent job throughout the debates. He was never my first choice, but he withstood surges from Bachmann, Cain, Santorum and two by Gingrich. He deserves to be the nominee. Every conservative should rally around him in support and vote Obama out of office come November...

The only thing I'm concerned about is his choice for VP. Christie is the least of the choices I'd be happy with... I like Santorum, Ryan, Rubio, Porter and several others before Christie.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News