Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 7, '12, 7:14 am
Banned

Religion: Olde fashioned Christian
Smile Re: General question to my Eastern Rite brothers/sisters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochawk View Post
"nothing" is to strong a word--celibacy is the *only* reason I did not pursue tr RC seminary after college.

for that matter, if the EC seminary was an option for married former RC, I'd probably have found a way years ago.

Celibacy is not the only issue; perhaps not the biggest--but it definitely *is* an issue.

hawk
You could go to an Orthodox seminary, you would not be the first Eastern Catholic to do so. Apply directly to the seminary.

If you are already formally a member of an Eastern Catholic Sui Iuris church, there is actually a good chance an Eastern Catholic bishop would pick you up after seminary, but don't wait for your current bishop to approve before you start this process, you could wait a lifetime with no answer.
Old May 7, '12, 7:30 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: General question to my Eastern Rite brothers/sisters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalid View Post
.............But, a man who is married can become a priest; a priest can not marry, nor can he re-marry if he is widowed. Holy Orders are a canonical (and, truly, ontological, as per the indelible mark confirmed by the grace of Ordination) impediment to marriage.
Your statement is not correct. There is for example the case of an Irish priest that asked to be laicized in order to get married, the ontological change was still there. He got the approval from the Holy See for the move to the laity and for marriage, he had children and after a long time he became a widow. He then asked for permission to be re-incardinated and the Holy See gave approval with the only condition to spend a couple of years in seminary to refresh is knowledge, he is not an active priest again.

P.S. I was also referring to your post #10.
Old May 7, '12, 10:13 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Orthodox w/ Reformed tendencies. Fides quaerens intellectum.
Send a message via Skype™ to Khalid

I do understand the point made, but wonder if it's "economy" (I doubt it is, as economy can't contradict divine law), and stand in wonder at it, as it flies in the face of the most simple logical principles (such as that of non-contradiction) when combined with the foundational principles of Catholic sacramental theology. I'd be interested (very interested) in understand how exactly the ordination-laicization-marriage is supposed to work on a philosophical, and not merely economical, level (e.g. what justification is there, or what am I missing in all of logic or theology, that makes it appear to be as impossible as a third coming of Christ to me, yet the Church has different practice?).
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. - II Timothy 2:15

Above all things Truth beareth away the victory: ... great is Truth, mighty above all things. - III Esdras 3:12,4:41
Old May 8, '12, 1:34 pm

Religion: Melkite Greek Catholic Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalid View Post
That's why I put it in parentheses. It seems to me, that when a laicized priest marries, he calls down anathema and wrath upon himself, because he took an irrevocable vow of celibacy in they eyes of God and men. It follows logically from the doctrine of vows and of Holy Orders in Catholicism, that Holy Orders are an ontological impediment to valid marriage. (Although, as you have pointed out, the practice of the Church differs from this.)

I was also speaking of Catholicism alone, not Orthodoxy.
Matthew 16:19 And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven.

One may be loosed from a vow by virtue of the Episcopate. This particular instance is reserved for the Holy See alone. However, if the Holy See looses a priest from the vow on earth, it is loosed in heaven as well. Once a priest is loosed from the vow of celibacy, God sees it a having been loosed; the vow has ceased to exist and God does not pour wrath upon the man.
“This is the Faith of the Apostles, this is the Faith of the Fathers, this is the Faith of the Orthodox, this is the Faith which has established the Universe.” - From the First Sunday of Great Lent of the Byzantine Rite
Old May 12, '12, 3:07 pm

All great information,but does anyone from an Eastern Rite have a source or link which may provide the information I seek?
Old May 12, '12, 3:20 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Byzantine Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicea325 View Post
All great information,but does anyone from an Eastern Rite have a source or link which may provide the information I seek?
Information of shortages of priests? or on the married priesthood?

If the latter, there is no central place to look for information, as the norms governing such are specific to each sui juris church. In the case of the Ruthenian Church, candidates for priesthood who wish to marry beforehand (must be before ordination) must seek permission of their bishop, who is obligated to clear it with Rome.

There are other sui juris churches that make their own determination and set their own rules.

The information you have gotten here regarding married priesthood in the Eastern Catholic Churches seems to be generally correct.
"Christ always gives his Church the gift of unity, but the Church must always pray and work to maintain, reinforce, and perfect the unity that Christ wills for her."- Catechism of the Catholic Church, "Toward Unity" (CCC 820)
Old May 12, '12, 7:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByzCathCantor View Post
Information of shortages of priests? or on the married priesthood? If the latter, there is no central place to look for information, as the norms governing such are specific to each sui juris church. In the case of the Ruthenian Church, candidates for priesthood who wish to marry beforehand (must be before ordination) must seek permission of their bishop, who is obligated to clear it with Rome. There are other sui juris churches that make their own determination and set their own rules. The information you have gotten here regarding married priesthood in the Eastern Catholic Churches seems to be generally correct.
Sounds good to me and thanks again all of you and may God Bless all of you and your communities.
Old May 12, '12, 7:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicea325 View Post
You can see from the statistics for 2010 world total. With * do not have enough priests to have one per parish.

* Armenian: 116 parishes, 81 priests
* Syro-Malankara: 641 parishes, 587 priests
* Chaldean: 151 parishes, 147 priests
* Ukrainian: 3856 parishes, 1376 priests
* Ruthenian: 626 parishes, 501 priests
* Romanian: 1233 parishes, 819 priests
* Krizevci: 65 parishes, 46 priests

Coptic: 161 parishes, 241 priests
Ethiopian: 207 parishes, 587 priests
Syrian: 85 parishes, 118 priests
Syro-Malabar: 2744 parishes, 5832 priests
Melkite: 519 parishes, 591 priests