Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 5, '12, 2:07 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Bible tells us life begins in the womb

thyrodandstaff

These Deuterocanonical books are: Tobit, Judith, First and Second Maccabees, The Book of Wisdom, and Ecclesiasticus (NOT to be confused with Ecclesiastes, which is accepted as canonical by all Christian churches).

Ecclesiastes 11:5

11:5 Just as you do not know how the life breath enters the human frame in the motherís womb, So you do not know the work of God, who is working in everything.

Here the Bible states that life begins in the womb, and both Catholic and Protestants have this book in their Bibles.

All those pro-choice Catholics should be reminded of this before election day!
Old May 5, '12, 4:21 pm
Banned

Default Re: Bible tells us life begins in the womb

There are a few more:

http://www.catholic-voter.com/Pages/Bible.htm
Old May 6, '12, 7:44 am

Religion: Thank you POPE BENEDICT XVI We LOVE YOU! GOD BLESS YOU.
Thumbs up Re: Bible tells us life begins in the womb

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyrodandstaff View Post
thyrodandstaff

These Deuterocanonical books are: Tobit, Judith, First and Second Maccabees, The Book of Wisdom, and Ecclesiasticus (NOT to be confused with Ecclesiastes, which is accepted as canonical by all Christian churches).

11:5 Just as you do not know how the life breath enters the human frame in the motherís womb, So you do not know the work of God, who is working in everything.

Here the Bible states that life begins in the womb, and both Catholic and Protestants have this book in their Bibles.

Thanks!
Old May 6, '12, 9:25 am

Thanks, Kasama, for the link. I will pass it along. Catholics, other Christians, and Jews need to be reminded what the Bible tells us.

Because so many Americans want to ignore religious teachings, I am looking for solid sources to support what I understand:

From the moment of conception, there is new life with all the DNA and chromsomes of a separate human being, neither the mother, nor the father.

This new life begins to grow immediately and is innocent. This new life deserves protection and the mother deserves support. Fathers should be held accountable.
Old May 6, '12, 6:41 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulFred View Post
Thanks, Kasama, for the link. I will pass it along. Catholics, other Christians, and Jews need to be reminded what the Bible tells us.

Because so many Americans want to ignore religious teachings, I am looking for solid sources to support what I understand:

From the moment of conception, there is new life with all the DNA and chromsomes of a separate human being, neither the mother, nor the father.

This new life begins to grow immediately and is innocent. This new life deserves protection and the mother deserves support. Fathers should be held accountable.
Your welcome, that is one of my favorite sites. Check out the video section.

http://www.Catholic-Voter.com
Old May 7, '12, 1:14 pm
Banned

Religion: Jewish

Quote:
thyrodandstaff

כַּאֲשֶׁר אֵינְךָ יוֹדֵעַ מַה-דֶּרֶךְ הָרוּחַ, כַּעֲצָמִים בְּבֶטֶן הַמְּלֵאָה: כָּכָה, לֹא תֵדַע אֶת-מַעֲשֵׂה הָאֱלֹהִים, אֲשֶׁר יַעֲשֶׂה, אֶת-הַכֹּל.

Well for those who can read and understand the Hebrew, what it actually says is:
"Just as you do not know the way of the wind,nor the nature of the embryo in a pregnant stomach, so can you never know the work of God Who makes everything."
Old May 7, '12, 1:30 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen people View Post
כַּאֲשֶׁר אֵינְךָ יוֹדֵעַ מַה-דֶּרֶךְ הָרוּחַ, כַּעֲצָמִים בְּבֶטֶן הַמְּלֵאָה: כָּכָה, לֹא תֵדַע אֶת-מַעֲשֵׂה הָאֱלֹהִים, אֲשֶׁר יַעֲשֶׂה, אֶת-הַכֹּל.

Well for those who can read and understand the Hebrew, what it actually says is:
"Just as you do not know the way of the wind,nor the nature of the embryo in a pregnant stomach, so can you never know the work of God Who makes everything."
I do not know Hebrew, but I do know that "ruah" is also translated "spirit" (as well as "wind").
Old May 7, '12, 5:30 pm
Forum Master

Judges 13:7
Quote:
'Behold, thou shalt conceive, and bear a son; and now drink no wine or strong drink, and eat nothing unclean, for the child shall be a Nazarite to God from womb to the day of his death.'"
This is from the KJ version. RSV uses birth.

Psalm 58:3
Quote:
3 The wicked go astray from the womb, they err from their birth, speaking lies.
RSV

Old May 8, '12, 4:12 am

Religion: Lutheran

One thing that I have tried to understand in my denomination is when and why the wording of the Apostles Creed was changed from "the quick and the dead" to "the living and the dead." I recently spoke at a church that used the older text in English, which brought the question back to mind. Quickening usually occurs around the fourth month, not at conception. Any ideas or comments?
Old May 8, '12, 6:02 am
Banned

Religion: Jewish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kelley View Post
Judges 13:7 This is from the KJ version. RSV uses birth.

Psalm 58:3 RSV

The wicked are "estranged" from the womb (in Hebrew "זרו") not led astray. It is the action of the mother's feelings toward her unborn child. Again faulty translation.
Old May 8, '12, 6:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer_7 View Post
One thing that I have tried to understand in my denomination is when and why the wording of the Apostles Creed was changed from "the quick and the dead" to "the living and the dead." I recently spoke at a church that used the older text in English, which brought the question back to mind. Quickening usually occurs around the fourth month, not at conception. Any ideas or comments?
Not "quickening", but "quick". It refers to the living.

noun
15. living persons: the quick and the dead.
16. the tender, sensitive flesh of the living body, especially that under the nails: nails bitten down to the quick.
17. the vital or most important part.
Old May 8, '12, 10:23 pm

Religion: Protestant
Unhappy Re: Bible tells us life begins in the womb

I like the King James Version on this text as well as many others.
Ecclesiastes 11:5 As thou knowest not what is the way of the spirit, nor how the bones do grow in the womb of her that is with child: even so thou knowest not the works of God who maketh all.
Remember, Solomon, the wisest man that ever lived wrote Ecclesiastes which means "the Preacher".

If the child doesn't grow, it is not alive. There is no lull from conception through birth except when wicked hands of doctors that are supposed to "do no harm", violate their Medical oath and the Commandments of God and kill the baby!
Old May 9, '12, 4:13 am

Religion: Lutheran

AHS, we both agree that quick means living, but quick refers to those who have begun moving in the womb. In the Oxford English Dictionary, defination 4a says: "Quick with child, said of a female in the stage of pregnancy in which the motion of the foetus is felt. Now rare or obselete." The earliest citation is from about 1450. From the numbers you use in your post, it looks like you have copied from some other source that goes into a good deal of detail. Not that I am challenging you or attempting a battle of definitions, but what is your source? Thanks in advance.
Old May 9, '12, 4:21 am

Send a message via Skype™ to Orianna

Quote:
thyrodandstaff

Hmmmm.... to be honest, this is stating that life does not begin in the wooden table, it begin is the mothers womb... surely, we all know that!

The bible verse was directed here at clarifying the mystery of God, the unknown that only He knows.... it is presumptuous to state something beyond that obvious point... or that we now DO know this answer!.... stay humble, stay open to a further and unknown truth. In thinking you now understand the exact moment when life enters the womb, you actually prove the point of the prophet, i.e. only God knows!
Old May 9, '12, 5:36 am

Religion: Protestant
Exclamation Re: Bible tells us life begins in the womb

My Source is the Bible. Just because a movement is not felt does not mean the child that is beginning to growis not alive. Logically the handwork of God in the womb

Here is a small sampling. Job 31:15 Did not he that made me in the womb make him? and did not one fashion us in the womb?
Ecclesiastes 11:5 As thou knowest not what is the way of the spirit, nor how the bones do grow in the womb of her that is with child: even so thou knowest not the works of God who maketh all.
Hoseah 12:3 He took his brother by the heel in the womb, and by his strength he had power with God:
Luke 2:21 And when eight days were accomplished for the circumcising of the child, his name was called JESUS, which was so named of the angel before he was conceived in the womb.
Jeremiah 1:5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.
Luke 1:15 For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his motherís womb.
Luke 1:41 And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost:
The bottom line is if there is any point after conception that the child is not alive it will naturally abort and the mother will no longer be pregnant.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture