Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 7, '12, 6:46 am
Banned

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic
Default Re: Immoral to Play Chess? Yes, according to St. Peter Damian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayPots47 View Post
Summa Theologica, III, q. 27, art. 3 Click the Page2159 link, then the magnifier top left. Read his own words on the subject.
Should we judge what this great saint said about this important topic just by reading one quote of his works? See this.
Old May 7, '12, 6:50 am
Banned

Quote:
Thistle was not demeaning Aquinas, nor considering him less than faithful. There were different schools of thought back then, Aquinas and Bonaventure were one, they questioned whether she was immaculately conceived, while Duns Scotus proposed that she was indeed immaculately conceived. Initially, Aquinas proposed the idea that Mary was immune from both original and actual sin, but later in the Summa he dismissed that idea. At the end of his life, he rethought his original position and accepted the possibility. Garrigou-Lagrange explains this, which is why the differing opinions exist among theologians.
By "different opinions," I meant "different opinions regarding interpreting St. Thomas's views on the Immaculate Conception," not the various peoples' views of the Immaculate Conception itself. See this.
Quote:
Uh.. no they don't have more authority than the average joe
On matters pertaining to faith and morals, they do have more authority. I'm not claiming they have more authority on all matters.
Old May 7, '12, 7:02 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Scott View Post
Well, bathing was considered a luxury. It's not so much effeminate priests
Masculine priests can certainly bath. I think the saint was opposed to bathing not because of the bathing per se but because of the occasion of sin bathing might present, e.g., being naked and perhaps even alone with oneself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Scott View Post
but more of an opposition to "rich" and "luxourious" clergy.
That could be, too, although if the rich were not the only ones to bath in the Middle Ages, then definitely by the 18th century, when St. Nicholas of the Holy Mountain lived, most everyone bathed.
Old May 7, '12, 3:55 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: St. Thomas Aquinas on the Immaculate Conception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geremia View Post
It's not a single man's opinion. It's an interpretation of St. Thomas based on many other great theologians' interpretations. What multiple people say is more likely to to be true than what one single person says (cf. the Summa article "Whether the evidence of two or three persons suffices?").

Let's see what that interpretation is (from Reality ch. 37 Mariology):Continued below
Good heavens. I'm not talking about the Immaculate Conception. I'm saying why do you take Fr G's word for it that St Peter Damian is an authority on things like chess, when both the Magisterium (in the Catechism) and other equally eminent saints feel free to contradict him and blatantly disregard his authority, such as it is?

THAT is the important question, and one which you have singularly failed to respond to.

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old May 7, '12, 5:29 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
By "different opinions," I meant "different opinions regarding interpreting St. Thomas's views on the Immaculate Conception," not the various peoples' views of the Immaculate Conception itself. See this.On matters pertaining to faith and morals, they do have more authority. I'm not claiming they have more authority on all matters.
You still haven't responded to LilyM's question and I don't want to continue derailing the thread by talking about The Immaculate Conception. However, St Thomas Aquinas' views on this were clear and unambiguous.

His own words in The Catechetical Instructions of Thomas Aquinas:

Christ excelled the Blessed Virgin in this, that he was conceived and born without original sin, while the Blessed Virgin was conceived in original sin, but was not born in it.

UNQUOTE

No room for different opinions or interpretations. It is clear. He did not believe in The Immaculate Conception.

Now back to the thread, if you would be so kind to answer LilyM's question.
Old May 7, '12, 9:55 pm

Religion: Catholic - but figuring where I fit.

Quote:
By "different opinions," I meant "different opinions regarding interpreting St. Thomas's views on the Immaculate Conception," not the various peoples' views of the Immaculate Conception itself..
I know what you meant, it doesn't change what I wrote. You say toe-may-toe, I say toe-mah-toe. We are still talking about tomatoes. The theologians different opinions is the same as various views. So let me repost what I said, with the addition of what you meant added in bold; "There were different schools of thought back then, Aquinas and Bonaventure were one, they questioned whether she was immaculately conceived, while Duns Scotus proposed that she was indeed immaculately conceived. Initially, Aquinas proposed the idea that Mary was immune from both original and actual sin, but later in the Summa he dismissed that idea. At the end of his life, he rethought his original position and accepted the possibility. Garrigou-Lagrange explains this, which is why the differing opinions regarding interpreting St. Thomas's views on the Immaculate Conception," exist among theologians." Still reads the same to me.

Quote:
On matters pertaining to faith and morals, they do have more authority. I'm not claiming they have more authority on all matters.
They don't have more authority on matters pertaining to faith and morals, but the pope has. Because the pope can speak infallibly as part of his office as pope. The Church does not teach what you claim. And I posted what the Church teaches regarding private revelation, which includes the writings and teachings of the saints. We are to hold them in high regard, but they have no authority,;we are not required to believe or accept anything they wrote or taught, unless the Church Herself teaches it as worthy of belief.

Member Secular Franciscan Order

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by ClayPots47; May 7, '12 at 10:15 pm.
Old May 7, '12, 11:08 pm
Banned

Default Re: St. Thomas Aquinas on the Immaculate Conception

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyM View Post
I'm saying why do you take Fr G's word for it that St Peter Damian is an authority on things like chess
What did I say that made you think that?
Quote:
, when both the Magisterium (in the Catechism) and other equally eminent saints feel free to contradict him and blatantly disregard his authority, such as it is?
They "blatantly disregard his authority"? Most saints probably don't even know who St. Peter Damian was.
Quote:
THAT is the important question, and one which you have singularly failed to respond to.
Well, it's probably due to a lack of my understanding your question. Could you please clarify? Thanks
Old May 7, '12, 11:23 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
Now back to the thread, if you would be so kind to answer LilyM's question.
Let me try to understand the question:

Definitions:
Argument A = argument by a non-canonized Catholic
Argument B = argument by a doctor of the Church
Arguments C,D,E,…etc = arguments by non-canonized theologians about Argument B and quoted in Argument A

Question:
How can I give credence to Argument A if its author is not canonized and Argument B's author is?
Old May 7, '12, 11:33 pm
Banned

Quote:
I know what you meant, it doesn't change what I wrote. You say toe-may-toe, I say toe-mah-toe. We are still talking about tomatoes. The theologians different opinions is the same as various views. So let me repost what I said, with the addition of what you meant added in bold; "There were different schools of thought back then, Aquinas and Bonaventure were one, they questioned whether she was immaculately conceived, while Duns Scotus proposed that she was indeed immaculately conceived. Initially, Aquinas proposed the idea that Mary was immune from both original and actual sin, but later in the Summa he dismissed that idea. At the end of his life, he rethought his original position and accepted the possibility. Garrigou-Lagrange explains this, which is why the differing opinions regarding interpreting St. Thomas's views on the Immaculate Conception," exist among theologians." Still reads the same to me.
Okay, so, despite all this, you and others here still claim he denied the Immaculate Conception as though he never supported it?
Quote:
They don't have more authority on matters pertaining to faith and morals, but the pope has. Because the pope can speak infallibly as part of his office as pope.
And even then, he speaks infallibly only when he is in conformity with the teachings of the Church.
Quote:
The Church does not teach what you claim. And I posted what the Church teaches regarding private revelation, which includes the writings and teachings of the saints. We are to hold them in high regard, but they have no authority
Even when they are holy and what they write is in conformity with the teachings of the Church?
Quote:
,;we are not required to believe or accept anything they wrote or taught
I'm not saying so, either. I'm saying that if you had to choose, e.g., between an atheist's argument regarding, e.g., contraception, versus that of a saint of the Church, all else being equal, whose argument would be more authoritative?
Quote:
, unless the Church Herself teaches it as worthy of belief.
Old May 8, '12, 12:35 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:

Definitions:
Arguments C,D,E,…etc = arguments by non-canonized theologians about Argument B and quoted in Argument A

Question:
How can I give credence to Argument A if its author is not canonized and Argument B's author is?
Not quite:

Argument A = argument by a doctor of the Church
Arguments B and C = arguments by two other doctors of the Church
D = authoritative statement of Magisterial teaching contained in the Catechism

Why believe A (St Peter Damian)

when B (St Francis de Sales) and C (St Teresa of Avila) both say the opposite of A,

when D says the opposite of A,

and when D also says that all of A B and C are private non-binding revelation and says that D trumps all of A B and C.

Now does my question make sense?

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old May 8, '12, 9:25 am

Quote:

Definitions:

Question:
Because Argument B's author is canonized for the holiness of his life, not for his veracity on every argument that he should make?
Old May 9, '12, 9:39 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lujack View Post
Because Argument B's author is canonized for the holiness of his life, not for his veracity on every argument that he should make?
Unless he's a doctor, wouldn't there be a much stronger link between the saint's holiness and the veracity of the saint's writings?
Old May 9, '12, 9:43 am
Banned

Quote:
Not quite:

Argument A = argument by a doctor of the Church
Arguments B and C = arguments by two other doctors of the Church
D = authoritative statement of Magisterial teaching contained in the Catechism

Why believe A (St Peter Damian)

when B (St Francis de Sales) and C (St Teresa of Avila) both say the opposite of A,

when D says the opposite of A,

and when D also says that all of A B and C are private non-binding revelation and says that D trumps all of A B and C.

Now does my question make sense?
Yes, it does. Thanks

I would say, in this case, that we should not believe A unreservedly or unqualifiedly.
Old May 9, '12, 9:53 am

Quote:
Unless he's a doctor, wouldn't there be a much stronger link between the saint's holiness and the veracity of the saint's writings?
That does not make the belief correct. I fail to see why that link would hold. Furthermore, saints can be identified with one aspect of morality in particular, and so according to your own reasoning that would diminish their credibility in other aspects of morality.

The fact that a saint said it ought to be (controversial, I know) irrelevant. Their reasoning for the claim is what matters.
Old May 9, '12, 10:36 pm

Quote:
Quote:
The Church does not teach what you claim. And I posted what the Church teaches regarding private revelation, which includes the writings and teachings of the saints. We are to hold them in high regard, but they have no authority
Even when they are holy and what they write is in conformity with the teachings of the Church?
And here (my underlining above) is the key.

The authority with which any Saint writes comes not from their being a Saint, but from their writings being in comformity with the Church...which is to say that such authority relates to Church authority, not the personal authority of any given Saint.

If I write a book on faith and morals, no one would be bound by my authority...I have none. But if what I write is in comformity with the Church, you might say that what I write has authority, in as much as it properly represents the teachings of the Church.

Where a Saint - or any clergy or lay person - writes/teaches something that has no support in Church teaching, it has no authority over us.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology