Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 6, '12, 10:57 am

Religion: post-modern tribal Catholic
Default Re: Is pedophilia more sinful than homosexuality?

In other words severity only boils down to the gravitation of sins (plural), and not the gravity of sin (singular).
religion is the highest school of thought. It isnt a security blanket -it is a platform that allows us to reach beyond the restrictiveness of science, politics and philosophy. There is no other framework of logic that can reach farther.
Old May 6, '12, 11:55 am

Religion: catholic

Homosexuality is a mental disorder.

Pedophilia is the worse sin, as it is not done with a willing accomplice, but a victim.
Old May 6, '12, 1:26 pm

Religion: Catholic

In answer to the OP's question - yes - and I am very surprised at some of the posters who are somewhat confused on this, or are trying to argue otherwise. One thing is legal and consensual, while the other is illegal and non-consensual and is one of the worst things that could ever be perpetrated on a child.
Old May 7, '12, 5:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Roberts View Post
Do you have any hard stats to go with that?
From which may I (at least presently) infer that you appear unable to find any reputable "hard stats" to refute it ?
" ... you should know that there is present with you the angel whom God has appointed for each man…This angel, who is sleepless and cannot be deceived, is always present with you; he sees all things and is not hindered by darkness. You should know, too, that with him is God"…-St. Anthony the Great
Old May 7, '12, 5:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedImprovement View Post
From which may I (at least presently) infer that you appear unable to find any reputable "hard stats" to refute it ?
Can I infer that you appear unable to find reputable "hard stats" to refute the claim of Neptunian Unicorns?

Actually, I need stats to cite if I use that arguement later.
Old May 7, '12, 9:05 am

When you don't lift up your pedophilia to God and ask for help or you don't resist your urges it is a sin. If you molested a child or have sexual thoughts about a child its going against the sixth commandment of being chaste and keeping your thoughts pure. Its also taking away free will and perversion g God's plan. Mental disorder or not. You might not help the disorder but you can certainlytryto resist your urges and pray to God for guidance and avoid temptation. Homoaexuality perverses the gift of procreation. Doing a sexual act with the intention of not procreating is a sin. Also it goes against the illustration of the Church being the bride of Christ. Women and men were made for eachother. No sin is greater than another. To us yes, some might be worse. But in God's eyes all a sin is is a sin and it hurts him.
Old May 8, '12, 5:13 am

Quote:
Quote:
As soon as I think of them , I can't help but pray for them . It's actually at a point where same sex couples are being given preference over married heterosexual couples as adoptive parents . . .

Here's an excerpt from a ZENIT article a few years back, based on information shared by Dale O'Leary - a writer and researcher for the Catholic Medical Association

Lord, save us.
Do you have any hard stats to go with that?
Quote:

Quote:
Can I infer that you appear unable to find reputable "hard stats" to refute the claim of Neptunian Unicorns?

Actually, I need stats to cite if I use that arguement later.
(lol) The claim of Neptunian Unicorns is not currently forced legislation in some countries - I would suggest starting there . Then follow the path logically .

That legislation was the only "hard stat" I needed ; the rest basically flows from a little applied common sense .
" ... you should know that there is present with you the angel whom God has appointed for each man…This angel, who is sleepless and cannot be deceived, is always present with you; he sees all things and is not hindered by darkness. You should know, too, that with him is God"…-St. Anthony the Great
Old May 8, '12, 12:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPO View Post
If pedophilia is a mental "disorder" that requires treatment, then how is it a sin..?

If homosexuality is not a mental disorder, but a sexual "orientation" that requires no treatment, then how is it not a sin..?

Is it true then that the sin of acting out as a homosexual with no remorse is more grave than the sin of acting out as a pedophile full of guilt?
It may also have to do with the ages of the persons involved in pedophilia.

I heard of a case in which an 18 year old boy had "consensual" relations with a 16 year old girl (tho she may have been under age to give consent), and was convicted and imprisoned for pedophilia (I guess her parents hated his guts and had some power....don't know much about the story). That seems going a bit too far, while sex between a 48 year old adult and 16 year old sounds very disgusting. Even more so if the child is still younger.

There are countries or times in our history that marriage under age 18 was allowed. So if a 20 year old man married to a 13 year old girl has loving sex with her (not rape) .....what then.

It's very complicated.

I think the Church would say all sex outside of Holy Matrimony would be a sin.....which would include those having only a civil marriage (and homosexuals with civil marriages in states/countries that allow such). That pretty much puts the majority in a state of sin, at least some time in their lives. Good thing there is forgiveness in sacrament of confession.

"Preach the Gospel at all times and if necessary use words."
-- St. Francis of Assisi

"I want to spend my Heaven doing good on Earth."
-- St. Therese of the Child Jesus

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology