Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: Are the End Times near?
YES, things seem to point that way. 46 38.98%
NO, things do not seem to point that way. 12 10.17%
Have no idea. 55 46.61%
Don't believe in the End Times 5 4.24%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 8, '12, 7:56 pm
Banned

Religion: No
Default Re: Are the End Times near?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJuliane View Post
The Protestant or Evangelical interpretation of the "End Times" is called "dispensationalism." No, Catholics do not believe in dispensationalism and should not get caught up in the "left behind" type of prophecy. These things have been predicted for centuries and here we still are.

Live every day as if Jesus were going to come today!

Because he might!
"Dispensation" is a perfectly good Biblical word. Paul describes the "dispensation of the grace of God" given to him "for us." This is the present church-age. Our Lord Jesus Christ recognized the Biblical dispensational principle when He stood to read from the scroll of Isaiah in Luke 4:18-19. He stopped reading in the middle of the sentence and closed the scroll. Why? Two different dispensations. Paul also describes the "last days" in 1 Timothy 4:1-3 and 2 Timothy 3:1-5. Take a look and see if you don't agree that Paul is describing these "last days."

Grace and Peace,
QC
Old May 8, '12, 8:03 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

I don't know if the "End Times" are near, but the North American persecution is only 34 years away.... and Francis Cardinal George agrees with me! http://wdtprs.com/blog/2012/02/relig...and-martyrdom/

A forum for Discerning the Priesthood is now open!
Old May 8, '12, 8:26 pm
Inactive Member

Religion: Catholic

Go to the Vatican website and read the third letter of Fatima.... look at the words coming true just like Mary warned us they would
Old May 8, '12, 8:34 pm

Religion: Thank you POPE BENEDICT XVI We LOVE YOU! GOD BLESS YOU.
Lightbulb Re: Are the End Times near?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirithound View Post
I don't know if the "End Times" are near, but the North American persecution is only 34 years away.... and Francis Cardinal George agrees with me! http://wdtprs.com/blog/2012/02/relig...and-martyrdom/

Thanks!
Old May 8, '12, 8:35 pm

Religion: Thank you POPE BENEDICT XVI We LOVE YOU! GOD BLESS YOU.
Lightbulb Re: Are the End Times near?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirithound View Post

Where do you get 34 years from, could you please elaborate?

Thanks,

PAX
Old May 8, '12, 10:01 pm
Observing Member

Religion: Transition

Several items about the "end times." I learned these from my old preacher dad when I was a teen (now I'm 56 and Dad is 88). My intent is to foster love over silly arguments and "Doomsday" prepping.

1. We live, for the first time in history, when the disasters of the book of Revelation are entirely possible through technology. That should sober us up a bit!

2. Jesus taught us in His parables of the talents, that we should "occupy until He comes." In other words, get on with the business of His Kingdom (i.e., investing in, and increasing, LOVE). Let our Lord find us at our post when He comes.

3. Despite the best scholarship of Jesus' day, the religious scholars didn't recognize Jesus. Why are we so sure we will recognize Him when He returns?

4. Finally, for those who long for Jesus' return, please remember His promise: For, lo, I am with you, even until the end of the age. Jesus will never be closer to us than He is right now. When He returns in all His glory, it is our eyes that will be healed to see Him. He has never left us!
Old May 8, '12, 10:24 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan7 View Post
Where do you get 34 years from, could you please elaborate?

Thanks,

PAX
Sure! Well, if God is willing, then 34 years from now will mark the half-way point of my priestly ministry, annnnnd......ummm....well, there's really no way for me to articulate this, since I have not gone through the proper channels of discerning a private revelation... yeah.... Sorry, friend

A forum for Discerning the Priesthood is now open!
Old May 8, '12, 11:52 pm

Religion: Non-Roman Catholic

Quote:
fisherman carl;9266184] ...it is not for us to determine the dates and times since we are not God and it is His plan that will be executed in His timing..People assume when things get worse Jesus is coming soon. But history tells another story
Very true carl. However, Jesus does tell us that there will be signs to watch out for,

(7) And when ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars, be ye not troubled: for such things must needs be; but the end shall not be yet. (8) .For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be earthquakes in divers places, and there shall be famines and troubles: these are the beginnings of sorrows. Mark 13:7-8 (KJV).

Has there been an increase in those things of which Jesus speaks?

BTW, your Scripture quote should read, 2 Peter 3:9-10. It's no big deal - at least if made me check my Bible.

God Bless you.

Protector.
“Jesus said unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes unto the Father, but by me.” John 14:16
Old May 9, '12, 6:30 am
Banned

25-30% of the Bible is prophecy. It shows the importance for you to study. I can tell ou that all the prophecies are being fufilled. If you haven't accepted Jesus Christ as your Saviour I would do so quickly.
Old May 9, '12, 7:02 am
Trial Membership

Religion: CATHOLIC
Wink Re: Are the End Times near?

Jesus said that we know not the day or hour.

I only know that my end time will be within the next 30 or 40 years. Or maybe before!

Oh well, it will not be the end of my life. It will only be the beginning.
Old May 9, '12, 7:51 am
Banned

Religion: Raised Catholic

At the speed things are going (I'm talking technology but also changes in mentality), people's general aversion for tradition, old ways, people's eagerness for change, newness, I don't think it'll take as many as 34 years to see the return of Jesus. Jesus' Glorious Return will come as a thief in the night to those who are asleep, for those who will recognize the Antichrist for who he is, it will not be so. People are so sick and tired of politicians not living up to their words, their empty promises, there is a real hunger for a true leader capable of bringing decisive solutions to the world problems AND to at least allay the world's spiritual hunger. The Antichrist will do both. The world scene is now ripe to welcome such a man, in days past where terrible things took place (plague, war, famine etc.) the moral fiber would have prevented it. How could the whole world have known (and rejoiced) within a day that God's two prophets (Enoch and Elijah) were dead prior to 1950-1960?

Someone mentioned Raj Patel, relatively well-known New-Age leader Benjamin Creme seems to think he fits the description of a world teacher who is like an ascended master who becomes incarnate who will be like a messiah (classic occult mumbo jumbo), according to Creme, that teacher will be recognizable, inter alia, because he stutters. Patel does indeed stutter. Creme is also the man who, I think, is behind the 1985 (?) Nairobi Maitreya manifestation hoax. Anyway, God have mercy on his immortal soul.
Old May 9, '12, 11:31 am

Religion: PROUD Roman Catholic

The future is uncertain and the end is always near... yes its a line from a song by The Doors but it is nothing short of the truth.

The way I see it is that the end is always near, but in the scope of eternity versus our limited capacity to realize that time is simply a creature created out of eternity, well we shouldn't get worried abou it. Anyone can say "the end times are near" at any time and people have been saying this for thousands of years, we're still here.

When that day comes, that day known to God alone, I believe it will be a day to rejoice rather than be all gloomy about what the end will be.

End Times do not mean Bad Times
Old May 9, '12, 6:56 pm
Observing Member

Yes, the end times are near. Has anyone read the books by Catalina from Bolivia? She has been conversing with the Lord Jesus and the Blessed Mother and many theologians have marveled at her messages. The Blessed Mother warns us that the end times ARE near. Yes, we must prepare ourselves, but she begs us to pray the rosary daily for the conversion of sinners. This is a holy war against the evil one. Souls must be saved, and not just our own. Please visit the site Youshallbelieve.com, watch the video, read the messages (for free online) and share them, and pray. She says, you do not know how much your prayers help.
Old May 9, '12, 7:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humblemother View Post
Yes, the end times are near. Has anyone read the books by Catalina from Bolivia?
Amazon link plz
Old May 9, '12, 8:21 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

I think that the end times are near but that is just my own personal opinion.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture