Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 5, '12, 6:14 pm

Religion: Irish Roman Catholic
Default Anglican Prayer Books, Breviaries, Etc.

+JMJ
I put this question in Traditional Catholicism because I know a great deal of us Trads like some of the Anglican/English Catholic things. I'm looking for Anglican material that doesn't go against our Holy Mother Church and still conveys the beauty of Anglican prayers. I've taken a look at some of the reviews of "The Anglican Breviary" on Absolutely No Spin (a great blog that everyone should visit) and am looking for a prayer book or breviary that suits my needs with not having the time a Priest or a monk would. Boy would I love if the Anglican Use people would publish something like that! Thanks for all your help! Here's the link for the Anglican Breviary:
about the book:
http://absnospin.blogspot.com/2009/0...ew-part-1.html
about it's contents:
http://absnospin.blogspot.com/2009/0...ew-part-2.html

Here's a Western Rite Orthodox publisher that publishes some interesting material, has anyone used any of these books?
http://www.andrewespress.com/

Sorry about such a long post!
Thanks again,
FKC
Old May 5, '12, 8:53 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Anglican Prayer Books, Breviaries, Etc.

The Anglican Breviary is an excellent resource. I have used it many times.
Old May 6, '12, 8:15 am
Banned

Religion: Orthodox

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureKC123 View Post
+JMJ
I put this question in Traditional Catholicism because I know a great deal of us Trads like some of the Anglican/English Catholic things. I'm looking for Anglican material that doesn't go against our Holy Mother Church and still conveys the beauty of Anglican prayers. I've taken a look at some of the reviews of "The Anglican Breviary" on Absolutely No Spin (a great blog that everyone should visit) and am looking for a prayer book or breviary that suits my needs with not having the time a Priest or a monk would. Boy would I love if the Anglican Use people would publish something like that! Thanks for all your help! Here's the link for the Anglican Breviary:
about the book:
http://absnospin.blogspot.com/2009/0...ew-part-1.html
about it's contents:
http://absnospin.blogspot.com/2009/0...ew-part-2.html

Here's a Western Rite Orthodox publisher that publishes some interesting material, has anyone used any of these books?
http://www.andrewespress.com/

Sorry about such a long post!
Thanks again,
FKC
I have three titles from Lancelot Andrews Press. Several years ago I purchased Monastic Breviary Matins, The Monastic Diurnal and Rule of St. Benedict in Latin & English from Fr. John at Lancelot Andrews. At the time, my interest was in the traditional Benedictine Divine Office. All are very nicely done volumes which I continue to use in my daily prayer rule. The Benedictine Office, dating to the sixth century, is one of the more traditional Western devotions for clergy and lay faithful. Highly recommended.

Things Anglican: no comment.
Old May 7, '12, 11:51 am

Religion: Anglican, C of E

The Anglican Breviary that you link to is excellent.

For a simpler daily office you might like an Anglican Franciscan office. There are two books that come to mind, Celebrating Common Prayer and the Daily Office SSF. I have the first of these. It contains morning prayer, mid-day prayer, evening prayer and night prayer. There is an on-line version here:

http://oremus.org/liturgy/ccp/

It needs to be used in conjunction with a Bible as the main offices have full readings rather than short chapters. This book influenced the current CofE office which is also available on-line here:

http://www.churchofengland.org/praye...ly-prayer.aspx

I have an abridged version of the Sarum Breviary but it's long out of print but I did come across this site which has bits and pieces:

http://www.allmercifulsavior.com/Liturgy/Liturgics.html
Omnipotens Deus, cui omne cor patet et cui omnes affectus animorum cogniti sunt, et quem nihil latet, purifica cogitationes cordium nostrorum, ut per inspirationem Sancti Spiritus te ex animo amenus, et debita veneratione celebramus Nomen tuum sanctum, Per Jesum Christum Dominum nostrum. BCP 1560
Old May 7, '12, 12:33 pm

Religion: Irish Catholic

I've heard good things about the Anglican Breviary; you know its a translation of the Roman (Catholic) Breviary of 1910, if I recall. I don't know if you'd have to be on your guard against heretical translations or additions though.

I'd suggest asking this on the Divine Office section of Fish Eaters. There are some guys there who really know this stuff firsthand and would give you good advice.

If you're open to other options, I found a Lauds, Vespers, and Compline from the 1960 Roman Breviary on Lulu.com and it fits my busy schedule pretty well, and let's me pray along with the 1962 Mass very well. I'd recommend it.
Old May 8, '12, 9:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich C View Post
I've heard good things about the Anglican Breviary; you know its a translation of the Roman (Catholic) Breviary of 1910, if I recall. I don't know if you'd have to be on your guard against heretical translations or additions though.

I'd suggest asking this on the Divine Office section of Fish Eaters. There are some guys there who really know this stuff firsthand and would give you good advice.

If you're open to other options, I found a Lauds, Vespers, and Compline from the 1960 Roman Breviary on Lulu.com and it fits my busy schedule pretty well, and let's me pray along with the 1962 Mass very well. I'd recommend it.
-Agree, the Anglican Breviary is excellent, but they have changed a few things. Not heretically, but to avoid what they don't like (I think the Matins reading for the Immaculate Conception is the major change).

-yes, there are posters on FE like aquinas138 and Paul who are extremely, extremely knowledgable!
Old May 8, '12, 12:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkcatholic View Post
-Agree, the Anglican Breviary is excellent, but they have changed a few things. Not heretically, but to avoid what they don't like (I think the Matins reading for the Immaculate Conception is the major change).
No, despite retaining the older name for the feast, i.e., simply the Conception of the BVM, the reading on the feast of the Immaculate Conception is intact--it is the history of the feast (emphasizing that it was celebrated in the West first in England), and how Pius IX defined it dogmatically, and this was followed within several years by the apparition at Lourdes. In fact, one might argue that the reading for 8 December is the most pro-Roman of the entire Anglican Breviary.
Old May 8, '12, 1:36 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

The New English Hymnal is a great hymn book, if you're ever in the mood for a good singalong!

Old May 8, '12, 6:28 pm

Religion: Catholic

I purchased the Monastic Diurnal from Lancelot Andrewes Press for only $55 US. Even though it is an Anglican diurnal I would like to see how the hours are prayed.

I was thinking to buy the Monastic Diurnal from a Catholic source in England called Cenacle Catholic Books but the cost of the diurnal in addition to the shipping charges was waaaay too high for my budget.

God bless

Psalm 141:3 "Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord, keep watch over the door of my lips!"
Old May 9, '12, 8:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatter163 View Post
No, despite retaining the older name for the feast, i.e., simply the Conception of the BVM, the reading on the feast of the Immaculate Conception is intact--it is the history of the feast (emphasizing that it was celebrated in the West first in England), and how Pius IX defined it dogmatically, and this was followed within several years by the apparition at Lourdes. In fact, one might argue that the reading for 8 December is the most pro-Roman of the entire Anglican Breviary.
Thank you for the correction! Mea culpa.

Am I remembering something else? I think that there was something that was changed.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism