Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Ask an Apologist

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 9, '12, 7:29 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Any advice for someone conceived through IVF?

Dear Catholic Answers,

I'd really appreciate some advice and support. I've read a lot of articles about the church's position on IVF, but I don't think I've ever seen an article giving advice to people conceived through the process, other than telling them that they are just as loved as any other person.

I understand and accept the church's position on IVF, knowing first-hand the hurt it causes. My parents used IVF to help them conceive, undergoing 3 cycles with 3 embryos each time. 18 years and 9 months later, here I am, the only one of 9 to have survived the process. And I'm struggling to come to terms with the fact that I had 8 brothers and sisters, and I almost feel confused as to why I survived when they did not.

I also struggle with how cold my conception was, in a Petri dish, in a lab, created by scientists. Purchased by my parents, like some kind of product. The only thing that gives me comfort is knowing that, even in such awful circumstances, God's love was there. I pray to the Holy Spirit, reminding myself that He was there at the beginning of my life. It's always been comforting to know that, no matter the circumstances in which a person is conceived - in a lab, through violence, in lust - God's love is still present.

I would really appreciate your advice on how to come to terms with how I was conceived, and how to deal with the death of my siblings.

God bless you,

Julie
xxx
Old May 9, '12, 9:52 pm
Catholic Answers Apologist

Default Re: Advice for someone conceived through IVF

Dear Julie,

You sound like you have come to terms with your situation rather well. The only ones who really bear serious scars are your parents. You and your siblings had no voice in the matter and have clear consciences. All of you continue to be cradled in Godís infinite mercy. No reason to feel strange about being the only one to make it to birth. The Lord determined it. All nine of you belong to Him and are His handiwork.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

P.S. Your question says more than my answer. Thanks for writing!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Ask an Apologist