Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old May 8, '12, 7:42 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Everyone ready for the MLB season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul theApostle View Post
I dont understand some things in the rules

Say the 2nd batter hits a fly ball and gets caught,ive seen runners on the bases run to home plate and score a run as the batter gets caught

But ive seen sometimes a runner on first or second base NOT run to the next base during a fly ball and when its caught

so i dont know why they run home but not to 2nd or 3rd base on a fly ball?

i think it was from 2nd to 3rd base that i saw the runner didnt run and i didnt know why
When the ball is caught in the air before hitting the ground, the runner must "tag up" or touch the base he was previously at before advancing to the next base or he can be thrown out at the base he was advancing from. Typically if the runner doesn't advance it's because he was too far from the previous base to run back to tag up and then advance a base. For runners on third, if they recognize that there's a chance the ball will be caught, they'll just put one foot on the bag and break for home as soon as the ball is caught. Home is fartherest from the outfield, so it's generally harder for them to get thrown out at home than anywhere else on the diamond.

Quote:
also

why does a 1st batsmen bunt? can he make it to 1st base with a bunt?
Generally a batter (without someone already on base) will lay down a bunt for a couple of reasons. Most often because they are a fast runner and believe they can beat the throw to first, but also if they think they can catch the defense off guard. This is especially true if someone thought of as a power hitter recognizes that the defense is playing back (or further towards the outfield). It's just a way of beating a particular type of defense.

Quote:
And with getting a runner out on each base,how does that work?
Not exactly sure what you're asking here. Could you provide more detail or an example?

Quote:
i know the guy at first base usually just steps on the plate and the runner is out but what about the other bases?
Outs are divided into two types: force outs and tag outs. Runners advancing from home to first are always force outs. In other words they have no choice but to move up from home to first and so stepping on the bag is enough for the runner to be out. Since only one runner can be on a base at any given time if a runner is on first and another runner is coming to first, the runner that was on first is now being "forced" to second. In this case the runner heading for second is out if the defender with the ball tags second before the runner arrives. If the runner on first decides to advance to second *without* being forced (he attempts to steal, for example), the runner himself must be tagged in order to be out.

I'm sure others will chime in with better or more complete answers as well.

1st dan, 拳法空手
Old May 8, '12, 3:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic_Kenpo View Post
For runners on third, if they recognize that there's a chance the ball will be caught, they'll just put one foot on the bag and break for home as soon as the ball is caught. Home is fartherest from the outfield, so it's generally harder for them to get thrown out at home than anywhere else on the diamond.

Ok ,but does the runner on third have to 'tag up' or run back to second base before he runs home?

Generally a batter (without someone already on base) will lay down a bunt for a couple of reasons. Most often because they are a fast runner and believe they can beat the throw to first, but also if they think they can catch the defense off guard. This is especially true if someone thought of as a power hitter recognizes that the defense is playing back (or further towards the outfield). It's just a way of beating a particular type of defense.

Ok

Not exactly sure what you're asking here. Could you provide more detail or an example?

Was talking about the example below

Outs are divided into two types: force outs and tag outs. Runners advancing from home to first are always force outs. In other words they have no choice but to move up from home to first and so stepping on the bag is enough for the runner to be out. Since only one runner can be on a base at any given time if a runner is on first and another runner is coming to first, the runner that was on first is now being "forced" to second. In this case the runner heading for second is out if the defender with the ball tags second before the runner arrives. If the runner on first decides to advance to second *without* being forced (he attempts to steal, for example), the runner himself must be tagged in order to be out.

What about 3rd base and home plate?

I see alot the fieldsmens throwing to 1st base to get the runner out instead of throwing to the other bases when there are runners going to 2nd or 3rd,theres no rule is there that that have to throw to first base first ? im guessing the base runners will make it easier to base as they have a little head start so they go for first base.

I'm sure others will chime in with better or more complete answers as well.

Thanks
Old May 9, '12, 7:49 am

Quote:
Ok ,but does the runner on third have to 'tag up' or run back to second base before he runs home?

If the runner has his foot on third when the ball is caught, he has already tagged up and can proceed to home.

Quote:
What about 3rd base and home plate?

I see alot the fieldsmens throwing to 1st base to get the runner out instead of throwing to the other bases when there are runners going to 2nd or 3rd,theres no rule is there that that have to throw to first base first ? im guessing the base runners will make it easier to base as they have a little head start so they go for first base.
They are free to throw to any base they want. Generally, though, since a runner on base has a lead off before the ball is hit it's harder to throw them out. The batter can't get a lead because he has to be in the batter's box until he hits the ball, so it's considered a much "safer" out to get. It's the same way when someone lays down a sacrifice bunt to move a runner over. While the defense would prefer to get the lead runner out, the fact that he's probably going to beat the throw means they have to concede the base to him and take the out at first or get nothing at all. One out is better than none, regardless of where it occurs. Sometimes you'll see defenses concede a run in order to get an out. It may seem counterproductive, but allowing that one run may prevent the offense from scoring multiple times on a play that follows.

Quote:
Thanks

You're welcome.

1st dan, 拳法空手
Old May 9, '12, 4:51 pm

Ok i understand thanks again

last night i switched on the game for a minute and saw the fieldmens throw first to second base and then to first to get them both out

but on second base im pretty sure i saw the baseman just step on the plate to get him out and not tagging him because the runner wasnt close to the base yet and after he stepped on the plate he then threw to first base
Old May 10, '12, 5:13 am

Religion: Roman Catholic (Revert)

Quote:
but on second base im pretty sure i saw the baseman just step on the plate to get him out and not tagging him because the runner wasnt close to the base yet and after he stepped on the plate he then threw to first base
That's called a force out. Because he was running to second base and could not return to first base (because the batter was advancing to first) it is considering forcing him out. If a runner has no other option than to advance to the next base they can be forced out.

I don't feel like I explained that very well, but hopefully you got the point.

Joshua C.
Old May 11, '12, 8:51 pm

Quote:
Ok i understand thanks again

last night i switched on the game for a minute and saw the fieldmens throw first to second base and then to first to get them both out

OK (life long Cardinals fan here), you're talking about the double play. I spent my formative fan years watching Ozzie start the 6-4-3. First base is always a force-out, but any other base can be a force out (requiring only that the base be tagged, rather than the runner).

For example, let's say we have a little game going--our batters will be 1) Smith 2) Jones 3) Johnson, 4) Baker, 5) Anderson

Smith gets a single--first base is now occupied. This would usually mean that second base would now be a force-out. However, while Jones is batting, Smith steals second. While stealing, in order to be caught, the second baseman must tag Smith, not 2nd base.

Jones finishes up his bat by getting a single, and Smith was only able to advance one more base--we now have runners "at the corners" (first base and third base, second base is empty). Home plate would still require a tag on Smith.

Johnson is now walked, which pushes Jones up to second. Smith doesn't advance because there's no one immediately behind him. The bases are now loaded. At this point, even at home plate the runner could be put out by a tag of home plate instead of Smith.

Baker now strikes out (first out of the inning).

Anderson hits a ground ball to the shortstop. The shortstop throws to the second baseman who steps on 2nd base while Johnson is still running to second, and then the second baseman fires the ball down to the first baseman and Anderson has grounded into a double play to end the inning. But in the bases loaded situation, it could have been a throw to any base (including home plate) for a force out. (Incidentally, if Anderson had been walked instead, Smith would score because he now has a runner directly behind him to force him forward. However in this example, even if Smith crosses the plate it doesn't count because the outs take precedence and the inning is over.)

Old May 12, '12, 9:24 pm

Religion: catholic
Send a message via Skype™ to tonild

So are there any minor league, cheap seat fans out there. Though I enjoy an the Giants Big Club in San Fran, I spend more time at The San Jose Giants.
Old May 13, '12, 12:47 am

Thanks Melissa

you should write a whole make believe game
Old May 13, '12, 10:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonild View Post
So are there any minor league, cheap seat fans out there. Though I enjoy an the Giants Big Club in San Fran, I spend more time at The San Jose Giants.
We have a league that would be the equivalent of AA here in town. I really enjoy going to those games over the summer months. They are like 8-10 for some pretty good seats, so you can go to a game, have a beer and a brat, and still walk away without hurting your wallet too much.

Also I got a balled signed by Harmon Killebrew because he used to watch games there quite often before he passed away.
Old May 14, '12, 5:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonild View Post
Being that it's a minimum of a four hour drive to the closest MLB ballpark for me, that's the only way I get to see baseball in person. We've got a single A Marlins affiliate here in town that I go to see on a fairly regular basis.

(And yes, even with a four hour drive, I'm still blacked out for home games. Thanks, MLB!)

1st dan, 拳法空手
Old May 14, '12, 8:07 pm

Religion: catholic
Send a message via Skype™ to tonild

Yes, many of the SF Giants who won the World Series came up through San Jose. There is such a closer feel to minor leage, We have a graet BBQ. And Saturdays kids get to run the bases.
Old May 16, '12, 5:16 am

Religion: Catholic (duh!)

My boys in blue (Royals) are 12-6 since snapping their 12 game losing streak If not for that losing streak, the Royals could very well be in 1st place in a bad, bad, bad division
Old May 20, '12, 8:24 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Christian in the Holy Catholic Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by garn9173 View Post
My boys in blue (Royals) are 12-6 since snapping their 12 game losing streak If not for that losing streak, the Royals could very well be in 1st place in a bad, bad, bad division
I have a feeling the Tigers will take off once June starts. My Twins are doing awful. Same with the Brewers. Unfortunately they are playing each other now.

*I converted to Catholicism on the Easter Vigil on 3/30/13. Some posts may contain information that I believe is incorrect or was poorly understood. Usually someone else is a better source for a Catholic voice.
Old May 21, '12, 10:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Guy View Post
I have a feeling the Tigers will take off once June starts. My Twins are doing awful. Same with the Brewers. Unfortunately they are playing each other now.
We can suffer together, brother.
Old May 30, '12, 12:44 pm

Religion: Catholic (duh!)

And that concludes a winning month of May for the Royals and going 5-4 on a 9 game swing through NY, Baltimore, and Cleveland. Not bad considering the 12 game slide to start the season.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media