Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 12, '12, 8:21 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: NJ school exam's "secret" question angers parents

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTL View Post
It is by design, not by accident. The shadow of the current big government must be stopped by this November!
What interest does the state of NJ have in the fact that Julie like Ben and Kenzie's mom has to wax a beard off every week?
Old May 12, '12, 8:22 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Jewish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegra View Post
Why is it that only unpatiotic hippies are allowed to become teachers and school administrators? Couldn't any person who wants to become a teacher? If all the educators are unpatriotic hippies, why don't some well-meaning conservative individuals invest some time into molding our youth? What prevents them for going into teaching and leveling the playing field?
Actually some of those unpatriotic hippies have repented and become Conservative Republicans. So, yes, we must watch them carefully.
Old May 12, '12, 8:23 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

"Dear teacher: My biggest secret is my Parents voted for Obama " I am so ashamed of this I would like to live with my Uncle(as soon as he gets out of jail for murdering my Aunt")

Miguel Agustin Pro
Old May 12, '12, 9:30 pm

Religion: Eastern Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by estesbob View Post
"Dear teacher: My biggest secret is my Parents voted for Obama " I am so ashamed of this I would like to live with my Uncle(as soon as he gets out of jail for murdering my Aunt")
Old May 12, '12, 9:50 pm

Quote:
Why is it that only unpatiotic hippies are allowed to become teachers and school administrators? Couldn't any person who wants to become a teacher? If all the educators are unpatriotic hippies, why don't some well-meaning conservative individuals invest some time into molding our youth? What prevents them for going into teaching and leveling the playing field?
The negative comments I see about public school teachers on this forum really irk me. Are there some lousy teachers out there? Of course. That doesn't mean we have to berate all of the good ones who work hard and look out for the kids.
Old May 12, '12, 10:13 pm
Banned

Quote:
Did you miss the day when the school teachers told you the answer to your question. Conservatives hate children. The only thing they hate more than Children are puppies which is why there are no conservative vets.
Old May 12, '12, 10:23 pm
Banned

My family: My mom, retired teacher for 30+ years. Excellent teacher but a Moral relativist and politically ignorant.
My sister, 2 year kindergarten teacher then quit to become a model. Got her "masters" in teaching at a school in the Northwest where you give yourself your own grades. Undergrad. Theater.
My aunt. Good teacher of 20 years. Retired Was republican until her son came out, is now a raging liberal.
My other aunt Good teacher of 30+ years. Retired. Democrat and liberal to the core.
My cousin: 3rd year elementary PE teacher A person who habitually uses drugs and is a party guy.

Me, 2 year teacher of homeschool kids Conservative and the only Catholic in my family.

I grew up all around teachers, not only when they were teaching but when they were off during the summer. And most of the time, the ones who are reviewing the curriculum, and helping form tests and teaching the other teachers are very very liberal.
Old May 13, '12, 2:22 am
Radio Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_me640 View Post
The negative comments I see about public school teachers on this forum really irk me. Are there some lousy teachers out there? Of course. That doesn't mean we have to berate all of the good ones who work hard and look out for the kids.
On Jimmy Kimmel [?], anyway some latenight, they had a spoof for Nat'l Teachers Week with teachers saying, "You raised a bunch of fat, stupid, lazy, kids -- and you want US to fix it!"
NSFW language but the points were valid.

Quote:
If you are part of a society that votes, then do so. There may be no candidates and no measures you want to vote for...but there are certain to be ones you want to vote against. In case of doubt, vote against. By this rule you will rarely go wrong.
Old May 13, '12, 10:32 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Evangelical Catholic (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod)

Quote:
Originally Posted by estesbob View Post
The NEA member teacher would insist this child needs counseling.

Jon
“This also is certain, that no one should rely on his own wisdom in the interpretation of the Scripture, not even in the clear passages, for it is clearly written in 2 Peter 1:20: ‘The Scripture is not a matter of private interpretation.’
"The best reader of the Scripture, according to Hilary, is one who does not bring the understanding of what is said to the Scripture but who carries it away from the Scripture. "
Chemnitz
Old May 13, '12, 12:12 pm

Quote:
It was my experience in a State University that Education Majors fell into two catagories: Those who were on a State Teachers scholarship because it was the only way they could afford and get an education (my late wife) and those who wanted an easy major. During that time (late '50's and early '60's) most of the latter were female who only went to college to catch a husband with good earning potential.
The School of Education was considered to be a joke by the Academic Community in that they awarded advanced degrees for Theses such as "The Effeciency of Blackboard Eraser Cleaning" and a Doctoral Dissertation:"The economics of School Bus Driving". The latter scribe had the Academic Senate force the School of Education to drop the Doctoral Dissertation requirement for its Doctor of Education degree.
Outside of the Southern United States, especially in California and New York, most political and social conservatives do not enter the field of education, simply because they would not survive the School of Education academic system because of their views, and even if they did, would not survive liberal school administrations and liberal School Boards.
Like it or not, there are numerous cases in the law courts for illegal dismissals of conservative teachers in our country. We do not live in a perfect world, or a perfect country.
Old May 13, '12, 12:37 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Evangelical Catholic (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod)

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Stegmeir View Post
It was my experience in a State University that Education Majors fell into two catagories: Those who were on a State Teachers scholarship because it was the only way they could afford and get an education (my late wife) and those who wanted an easy major. During that time (late '50's and early '60's) most of the latter were female who only went to college to catch a husband with good earning potential.
The School of Education was considered to be a joke by the Academic Community in that they awarded advanced degrees for Theses such as "The Effeciency of Blackboard Eraser Cleaning" and a Doctoral Dissertation:"The economics of School Bus Driving". The latter scribe had the Academic Senate force the School of Education to drop the Doctoral Dissertation requirement for its Doctor of Education degree.
Outside of the Southern United States, especially in California and New York, most political and social conservatives do not enter the field of education, simply because they would not survive the School of Education academic system because of their views, and even if they did, would not survive liberal school administrations and liberal School Boards.
Like it or not, there are numerous cases in the law courts for illegal dismissals of conservative teachers in our country. We do not live in a perfect world, or a perfect country.
The reason I won't try to pursue an advanced degree at this point in my life. Everytime I mention Project Follow Through and direct instruction, the progressives give me a dirty look. BTW, almost no recent ed. major grad knows what Project Follow Through is, even though it is the largest, most extensive study of teaching methods. Why? Because the progressives didn't like the results.

Jon
“This also is certain, that no one should rely on his own wisdom in the interpretation of the Scripture, not even in the clear passages, for it is clearly written in 2 Peter 1:20: ‘The Scripture is not a matter of private interpretation.’
"The best reader of the Scripture, according to Hilary, is one who does not bring the understanding of what is said to the Scripture but who carries it away from the Scripture. "
Chemnitz
Old May 13, '12, 1:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moore11 View Post
Did you miss the day when the school teachers told you the answer to your question. Conservatives hate children. The only thing they hate more than Children are puppies which is why there are no conservative vets.
Old May 13, '12, 1:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moore11 View Post
My family: My mom, retired teacher for 30+ years. Excellent teacher but a Moral relativist and politically ignorant.
My sister, 2 year kindergarten teacher then quit to become a model. Got her "masters" in teaching at a school in the Northwest where you give yourself your own grades. Undergrad. Theater.
My aunt. Good teacher of 20 years. Retired Was republican until her son came out, is now a raging liberal.
My other aunt Good teacher of 30+ years. Retired. Democrat and liberal to the core.
My cousin: 3rd year elementary PE teacher A person who habitually uses drugs and is a party guy.

Me, 2 year teacher of homeschool kids Conservative and the only Catholic in my family.

I grew up all around teachers, not only when they were teaching but when they were off during the summer. And most of the time, the ones who are reviewing the curriculum, and helping form tests and teaching the other teachers are very very liberal.
Good post.

Don't know whether to say "So sorry," or "Interesting, diverse family you have."

LOL.
Old May 14, '12, 6:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Stegmeir View Post
Your post is not based in reality. Most the people who enter the field of education do so by entering a college at the age of 18. They frequently don't even have a strong political leaning and if they do, it certainly doesn't have to be revealed on the application. Any person who truely wants to be a teacher and chooses not to because they believe they have to be a liberal in order to be hired is too stupid to be a teacher! I've applied for a couple dozen teaching positions in my life and I was never asked any question regarding how I felt about a political issue. The superintendent of the district I work for is a vocal and faithful Catholic with six children. He is fond of saying that he isn't doing his job unless he is comfortable sending all of his kids through any one of our district schools. THe district I live in for several decades has assembled a faith-based advisory board that assists the superintendent's office with insuring that the religious rights of all the students and staff are observed. Clearly, there is nothng prohibiting conservative individuals from becoming teachers and administrators and if a school board is liberal, it is only because not enough conservatives in the community took the trouble to vote in conservative board members or no conservative candidate presented themself. (Probably because it's easier to grip about the failures of the schools than to actually go to work and do something about it.)

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News