Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old May 16, '12, 10:20 pm
HNA444 HNA444 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 14, 2009
Posts: 576
Religion: Catholic :)
Default Trying to help but is this wrong?

A friend asked me if I could take an online class for him, bc he already has 5 classes and he needs help. I told him yea, and thought it would be nice to help. But, first off, it's not an easy course, which i don't even mind, but would this be wrong of me to do? I don't want to do something that I think is good, but really is not ?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old May 16, '12, 10:50 pm
underacloud underacloud is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: December 5, 2010
Posts: 2,791
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Trying to help but is this wrong?

Of course it's wrong. It's lying; you are misrepresenting yourself as your friend. And if you complete any assignments or exams, it's also cheating.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old May 16, '12, 11:24 pm
SMA_12's Avatar
SMA_12 SMA_12 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: November 1, 2011
Posts: 430
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Trying to help but is this wrong?

Sorry, I'm sure your intentions are great, but that doesn't make it right. Doing so would be lying, claiming the work is your friend's when it isn't. Also, as a friend you should do what is best for him. In this case, he needs to do his own work so he can learn the material.

I would advise against it. You can offer to tutor him if you genuinely wish to help, but cheating is not a good idea.

God Bless
__________________
"Shepherd me O God, beyond my wants, beyond my fears, from death into life."

Check out Vericast- "The hardest hitting Catholic podcast on or off the Internet."
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old May 16, '12, 11:30 pm
edward_george edward_george is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: April 20, 2005
Posts: 2,092
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Trying to help but is this wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNA444 View Post
A friend asked me if I could take an online class for him, bc he already has 5 classes and he needs help. I told him yea, and thought it would be nice to help. But, first off, it's not an easy course, which i don't even mind, but would this be wrong of me to do? I don't want to do something that I think is good, but really is not ?
That would be academic dishonesty. Your friend is signed up for the class, and would not be completing the coursework, and yet would be passing off work that someone else did as his own. This is lying, and if you agree to do this, you'd be complicit in his lying as well. The consequences for something like this could be extremely severe--everything from failing the course to being dismissed from school, with a blotch on his record that will haunt him for years to come. It's not worth it for either of you--at the very least because of the academic and possible job-related consequences to this, but also the fact that you imperil both your souls by engaging in this kind of a lie. I think you know what the right thing to do is. You're in my prayers

-ACEGC
__________________


Lumen in Caelo
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old May 16, '12, 11:55 pm
GodSaveMe GodSaveMe is offline
Trial Membership
 
Join Date: May 16, 2012
Posts: 4
Religion: christian
Default Re: Trying to help but is this wrong?

it would be wrong if your friend doesn't learn the material and at some point he needs to use what he didn't learn... and loses everything because of it... but that would fall on him not you... but if i were in your boat i would tell him to do it himself... it is CHEATING which is lying which is a sin... and you are sinning as well by lying with him/for him...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old May 17, '12, 2:15 am
hopeful01's Avatar
hopeful01 hopeful01 is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: May 3, 2012
Posts: 2,331
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Trying to help but is this wrong?

HNA444: It sounds wrong and it is cheating. If you get caught, the ramifications for you and your friend could be great. I pray and hope that you help your friend in other ways. Perhaps by tutoring him or explaining the material he does not understand to him.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old May 17, '12, 3:02 am
Steady Eddy's Avatar
Steady Eddy Steady Eddy is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: September 20, 2011
Posts: 187
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Trying to help but is this wrong?

Hello there,

Your thread reminded me of something that happened to me in England when I was 19 years old. A friend who was illiterate asked me to write a letter for him to his girlfriend. I felt it was a bad idea at the time but he persisted and I finally agreed. Trouble is, the girl got to like these letters very much, and though I kept telling him he would have to come clean and eventually tell her Iím not sure if he ever did because I returned home to Ireland shortly afterwards. I thought about these things on occasions especially having first arrived home, and I wasnít too pleased with myself at all. I felt I had cheated and deceived that girl especially, and I didnít do him much good either, not long term anyway. I hate all forms of deceit even more so today, and would never put my name to anything like that again.

Leviticus 19:11
Eddy Barry
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old May 17, '12, 6:42 am
HNA444 HNA444 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 14, 2009
Posts: 576
Religion: Catholic :)
Default Re: Trying to help but is this wrong?

You are all right, and I actually told my friend I couldn't right after I sent this post, because I thought about it and it is wrong. Thank you all for your input, and thank you Steady Eddy for that story.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old May 17, '12, 7:03 am
TheRealJuliane TheRealJuliane is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 11, 2010
Posts: 19,026
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Trying to help but is this wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNA444 View Post
You are all right, and I actually told my friend I couldn't right after I sent this post, because I thought about it and it is wrong. Thank you all for your input, and thank you Steady Eddy for that story.
This shows the person's character. Be cautious in the future.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old May 18, '12, 12:35 pm
HNA444 HNA444 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 14, 2009
Posts: 576
Religion: Catholic :)
Default Re: Trying to help but is this wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJuliane View Post
This shows the person's character. Be cautious in the future.
I agree. Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old May 18, '12, 4:53 pm
Joe Kelley Joe Kelley is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: June 24, 2004
Posts: 15,906
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Trying to help but is this wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Eddy View Post
Hello there,

Your thread reminded me of something that happened to me in England when I was 19 years old. A friend who was illiterate asked me to write a letter for him to his girlfriend. I felt it was a bad idea at the time but he persisted and I finally agreed. Trouble is, the girl got to like these letters very much, and though I kept telling him he would have to come clean and eventually tell her Iím not sure if he ever did because I returned home to Ireland shortly afterwards. I thought about these things on occasions especially having first arrived home, and I wasnít too pleased with myself at all. I felt I had cheated and deceived that girl especially, and I didnít do him much good either, not long term anyway. I hate all forms of deceit even more so today, and would never put my name to anything like that again.

Leviticus 19:11
Eddy Barry
If I remember correctly that is the plot of Cyrano de Bergerac
__________________
I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse; therefore choose life, that you and your descendants may live,
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old May 18, '12, 10:48 pm
HNA444 HNA444 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 14, 2009
Posts: 576
Religion: Catholic :)
Default Re: Trying to help but is this wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJuliane View Post
This shows the person's character. Be cautious in the future.
Turns out, this guy is very shady and manipulative. I don't understand why I always have bad friends enter my life
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old May 19, '12, 6:52 am
TheRealJuliane TheRealJuliane is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 11, 2010
Posts: 19,026
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Trying to help but is this wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNA444 View Post
Turns out, this guy is very shady and manipulative. I don't understand why I always have bad friends enter my life
These people are everywhere, but they do look for victims. Look for this book in your library, and read it ASAP.

Boundaries

It will help you notice when people are violating your personal and moral boundaries, and give you the choice of stopping them straight away. Don't let them get far enough into your life to try and ask you for this type of "favor."
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old May 21, '12, 4:17 am
Steady Eddy's Avatar
Steady Eddy Steady Eddy is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: September 20, 2011
Posts: 187
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Trying to help but is this wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kelley View Post
If I remember correctly that is the plot of Cyrano de Bergerac
Hello there,

My curiosity finally got the better of me, and I had to Google the words ĎCyrano de Bergerací I know now itís a film you were referring to, and yes there are some similarities, though the friend I was talking about was illiterate, he already knew the girl, and I myself never met her at all.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8458Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: GLam8833
5143CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4424Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3863SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3735Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3320Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3284Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3224Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3110For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: flower lady



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:47 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.