Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 11, '12, 4:50 am

Default Re: Summer attire at Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRose73 View Post
Honestly, that's what I'd love to see and have enforced. I understand that there are cultural differences in some clothing but most places in the world, people tend to follow the trends set in the USA and other nations that have similar ways of dress.

You got yours posted before I could figure out how to upload on here! I love that sign. It really should end the debate about what is appropriate and what is not to wear in Church....
Old Jun 11, '12, 4:54 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp1215 View Post
Same way at my parish. Girls wear tube tops, spaghetti strap tops, shorts that literally end right underneath the butt cheek, etc. That kind of stuff does bother me, especially the booty shorts. T-shirts, jeans, khaki shorts, flip-flops, I don't think those look very nice at church but it doesn't bother me because they are at least covered. But shorts that look like underwear? Really? Who in their right mind thinks that's acceptable to wear to church, or anywhere? Why would a parent allow their daughter to dress like that?

I just turn away. I don't dwell on it because there's no point.
But we don't know what happened in the homes of these people two hours before the Mass.

Here's a question for all: Let's say that you have a teenager, a girl. Your teenager is in that rebellious phase and hates going to Mass or doing anything that you ask her to do. You put your foot down and insist that the teen attend Mass with you. She flounces away and says, "OK, but I'm NOT dressing up."

What do you do? You can't very well drag her up to her bedroom and dress her, can you? She's not a baby or a toddler, and doing such a thing to her would be...um...inappropriate. Or is this how strict disciplinarian parents do it? Do parents REALLY force their children to dress conservatively? Have any of YOU done this? Does it work? What is the long-term outcome on family relationships?

So do you tell her to stay away from the Mass unless she is willing to put on some decent clothes? Think about it--would you really keep your child away from Mass for the sake of a pair of shorts and a tank top?

Or do you accept the compromise and say, "That's fine, honey. We'll be leaving for Mass in five minutes."

I think a LOT of families see this kind of battle on a weekly basis with their teenagers, and many of these families choose to not fight this battle, but just accept that it's more important to have their teens attending Mass even if they are wearing something that is much too beachy.

Wise parents know that it is important to choose their battles with their teens carefully, and that issues of dress, makeup, jewelry, etc. WILL pass, and in a few years, the teen will be through the "rebellious phase."
Old Jun 11, '12, 5:05 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
But we don't know what happened in the homes of these people two hours before the Mass.

Here's a question for all: Let's say that you have a teenager, a girl. Your teenager is in that rebellious phase and hates going to Mass or doing anything that you ask her to do. You put your foot down and insist that the teen attend Mass with you. She flounces away and says, "OK, but I'm NOT dressing up."

What do you do? You can't very well drag her up to her bedroom and dress her, can you? She's not a baby or a toddler, and doing such a thing to her would be...um...inappropriate. Or is this how strict disciplinarian parents do it? Do parents REALLY force their children to dress conservatively? Have any of YOU done this? Does it work? What is the long-term outcome on family relationships?

So do you tell her to stay away from the Mass unless she is willing to put on some decent clothes? Think about it--would you really keep your child away from Mass for the sake of a pair of shorts and a tank top?

Or do you accept the compromise and say, "That's fine, honey. We'll be leaving for Mass in five minutes."

I think a LOT of families see this kind of battle on a weekly basis with their teenagers, and many of these families choose to not fight this battle, but just accept that it's more important to have their teens attending Mass even if they are wearing something that is much too beachy.

Wise parents know that it is important to choose their battles with their teens carefully, and that issues of dress, makeup, jewelry, etc. WILL pass, and in a few years, the teen will be through the "rebellious phase."
Church is not the place to dress the way teens want because they are going through a rebellious phase. Even I had to dress decently and modestly for Mass even when my peers were not. They can dress how they want outside of church but they can give 2 hours a week at most wearing modest & decent clothing for Mass even if they have 1 or 2 outfits suitable for Mass.

My mother had to fight that battle with my younger sister as a teen, and I wished she would have been more forceful as my sister often came to Mass dressed too casually & sometimes immodestly looking back in time. I still can picture my sister at the Mass for graduates at the church I attended growing up that I was part of wearing a long tee shirt, long bike shorts that came a few inches above the knees, and Air Jordan tennis shoes. I was wearing a nice short sleeve knee length dress under my graduation gown. In fact, I remember the church bulletin telling the grads to wear appropriate clothing under their graduation gowns.

I remember my 2 female cousins wore up to date clothing most of the time in the late 80's/early 90's as teens to school, at home etc. But when it came to Mass, they had to wear a modest & decent dress or a shirt/skirt combination as that was their mother's rule (and is to this day). The few times I went to Mass with them, I was subject to the same rule, and abided by it (and also if our family attended their church for special occasions, we knew to dress up).
Old Jun 11, '12, 5:14 am
Banned

I seriously cannot comprehend why it is so hard for some people to just dress modestly, conservatively, for Mass. Some of the justification that people put forward, I think, is just ridiculous! "We can't afford it; It's uncomfortable" Just ridiculous! Anyone living in first world countries, besides the homeless, can afford modest clothing. For men, a dress shirt and pants with black shoes, with an optional tie. For women, a long sleeve top (or at least 3/4 length on the arms) with a long skirt or dress; with a mantilla and appropriate shoes. Shop at the right place and its very cheap. Buy a decent pair of black dress shoes and they last 2-3 years. The overwhelming number of churches in first world countries have air conditioning, so I see no justification for wearing immodest, revealing clothing during Summer.

The absurd excuses have to stop. Dressing inappropriately is sinful and causes scandal.

I.F.
Old Jun 11, '12, 5:33 am

Religion: Amateur Catholic

I believe that Jesus, being a guy and all, doesn't really notice what other people are wearing.

Who wants to see God? Cry to the Lord with an intensely yearning heart and you will certainly see Him. People shed jugs of tears for money, wife, and children. But if they would weep for God for only one day they would surely see Him.
Old Jun 11, '12, 5:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmaculataFides View Post
I seriously cannot comprehend why it is so hard for some people to just dress modestly, conservatively, for Mass. Some of the justification that people put forward, I think, is just ridiculous! "We can't afford it; It's uncomfortable" Just ridiculous! Anyone living in first world countries, besides the homeless, can afford modest clothing. For men, a dress shirt and pants with black shoes, with an optional tie. For women, a long sleeve top (or at least 3/4 length on the arms) with a long skirt or dress; with a mantilla and appropriate shoes. Shop at the right place and its very cheap. Buy a decent pair of black dress shoes and they last 2-3 years. The overwhelming number of churches in first world countries have air conditioning, so I see no justification for wearing immodest, revealing clothing during Summer.

The absurd excuses have to stop. Dressing inappropriately is sinful and causes scandal.

I.F.
This is what the Vatican has to say about appropriate apparel in their Churches:Click image for larger version

Name:	Vatican_Dress_Code_Sign.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	14107

It differs a little from what you think everyone should wear.......I'm not trying to be rude or argumentative, but I think I'll go with what the Vatican says when making generalized suggestions for those attending Mass. BTW, in case you weren't aware, a mantilla and dress/skirt are optional for women,...as shown in picture above.
Old Jun 11, '12, 5:47 am

Religion: Amateur Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightBound View Post
This is what the Vatican has to say about appropriate apparel in their Churches:

It differs a little from what you think everyone should wear.......I'm not trying to be rude or argumentative, but I think I'll go with what the Vatican says when making generalized suggestions for those attending Mass. BTW, in case you weren't aware, a mantilla and dress/skirt are optional for women,...as shown in picture above.
Excellent. An individual can only do whatsoever they themselves are prompted to do by the Spirit, but should never take it upon themselves to become their own sentinel fashion sign by their icy stares of rejection and displeasure.

Who wants to see God? Cry to the Lord with an intensely yearning heart and you will certainly see Him. People shed jugs of tears for money, wife, and children. But if they would weep for God for only one day they would surely see Him.
Old Jun 11, '12, 6:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by severus68 View Post
The President of the company would have little interest in our souls and more on superficial externals.
I agree...but how would most people dress for that situation?

"I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history."
Old Jun 11, '12, 6:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by severus68 View Post
Who are this majority? So its just you and me who believe?
Some surveys reflect that 70% of Catholics do not believe in the Real Presence.

"I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history."
Old Jun 11, '12, 6:45 am

Quote:
This is what the Vatican has to say about appropriate apparel in their Churches:Attachment 14107

Take note, the Vatican sign depicts the minimum. It makes no statement about what would be the best--only what the minimum requirements are.

Old Jun 11, '12, 6:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpatrick View Post
Take note, the Vatican sign depicts the minimum. It makes no statement about what would be the best--only what the minimum requirements are.
Oh, I am very much aware of that. If someone chooses to or is able to dress in a more formal manner than what is depicted, by all means, they are welcome to. But it's not our place to determine for others if women should wear a long skirt or dress or mantilla/hat/veil/doily/tissue on their head or if men must wear long-sleeved, full-botton shirts, slacks, black shoes, or a tie. To do so makes it sound like a uniform and if that's the case, perhaps the Church should start making everyone wear long robes like what was worn in the times of the Apostles
Old Jun 11, '12, 6:59 am

Quote:
Oh, I am very much aware of that. If someone chooses to or is able to dress in a more formal manner than what is depicted, by all means, they are welcome to. But it's not our place to determine for others if women should wear a long skirt or dress or mantilla/hat/veil/doily/tissue on their head or if men must wear long-sleeved, full-botton shirts, slacks, black shoes, or a tie. To do so makes it sound like a uniform and if that's the case, perhaps the Church should start making everyone wear long robes like what was worn in the times of the Apostles
I agree...I was just raising the point the Vatican posted simple and easy to follow minimums.

Old Jun 11, '12, 7:01 am

I watch the Daily Mass that is posted on Youtube that is from a Canadian site. The servers and cantor wear robes over their clothes, and when they show the congregation, they appear to be decently and modestly dressed even if the clothes are not fancy.

Also, when I watch the Daily Mass on EWTN, everyone is dressed modestly and decently even if the clothing may not be overly dressy at times. Some of the women wear mantillas too even if they are wearing trousers/pants.

Both televised Masses, I've never seen anyone dressed immodestly even if they were wearing a plain tee shirt and a decent pair of blue jeans. For all I know, they may work for the places putting on the Masses behind the scenes, and that is part of their work wear for their job.

Perhaps, we should take examples from watching those televised Masses and go from there. No one asks for the days where my mother said she and her sister and mother always wore a dress, dress shoes, and a hat to Mass, and her father wore his Sunday suit as the rest of the week, he wore clothing typical for an auto factory worker that he was.
Old Jun 11, '12, 7:05 am
Banned

Well, there is a dress-code for Holy Mass. It should be respected. The fact that people need to actually tell others how to dress simply demonstrates that we as a society have lost the idea of code of dress for specific places. People need to speak up and encourage a return to respectful clothing.

I.F.
Old Jun 11, '12, 7:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRose73 View Post
I watch the Daily Mass that is posted on Youtube that is from a Canadian site. The servers and cantor wear robes over their clothes, and when they show the congregation, they appear to be decently and modestly dressed even if the clothes are not fancy.

Also, when I watch the Daily Mass on EWTN, everyone is dressed modestly and decently even if the clothing may not be overly dressy at times. Some of the women wear mantillas too even if they are wearing trousers/pants.

Both televised Masses, I've never seen anyone dressed immodestly even if they were wearing a plain tee shirt and a decent pair of blue jeans. For all I know, they may work for the places putting on the Masses behind the scenes, and that is part of their work wear for their job.

Perhaps, we should take examples from watching those televised Masses and go from there. No one asks for the days where my mother said she and her sister and mother always wore a dress, dress shoes, and a hat to Mass, and her father wore his Sunday suit as the rest of the week, he wore clothing typical for an auto factory worker that he was.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments