Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 13, '12, 7:31 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Is it vanity?

Would it be considered vanity to feel better about yourself in a nicer outfit? I mean, we are the same person whether we are in our jammies or in a dress suit. But sometimes, when I am wearing my heels and a nice top and a little jewelry, I feel more confident. I don't dress up often--I rarely get the chance. But when I do dress up, I feel more feminine, more confident, and more attractive. Would you consider this to be vanity? Discuss.
Old Jun 13, '12, 7:38 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is it vanity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia23 View Post
Would it be considered vanity to feel better about yourself in a nicer outfit? I mean, we are the same person whether we are in our jammies or in a dress suit. But sometimes, when I am wearing my heels and a nice top and a little jewelry, I feel more confident. I don't dress up often--I rarely get the chance. But when I do dress up, I feel more feminine, more confident, and more attractive. Would you consider this to be vanity? Discuss.
It would depend on, why you want to be more attractive. ?

Vanity covers many areas, Self-Love as the number one culprit.

God Bless

Lulu
Old Jun 13, '12, 8:35 am
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Arrow +May God bless you abundantly on earth, and continue to bless you in Heaven+

Quote:
What does your consience say? you don't have to trust everyone you meet on the internet. You have a better chance in prayer, and in Trust of God.
Old Jun 13, '12, 8:45 am
Prayer Warrior

I am trying to start a discussion on opinion. I know that I am not the only one who feels more feminine when dressed nicely. I also know very well what my conscience tells me. I am not particularly concerned about my own level of vanity or lack thereof.

I recently heard an argument that we should simply not dress nicely because it inherently causes vanity. I was interested in hearing others opinions. I am not seeking advice.

What are your thoughts?
Old Jun 13, '12, 8:55 am

Religion: Baptized in CC, Discerning

Quote:
I am trying to start a discussion on opinion. I know that I am not the only one who feels more feminine when dressed nicely. I also know very well what my conscience tells me. I am not particularly concerned about my own level of vanity or lack thereof.

I recently heard an argument that we should simply not dress nicely because it inherently causes vanity. I was interested in hearing others opinions. I am not seeking advice.

What are your thoughts?
It is no secret that we are prone to changes in self esteem coming from external stimulus. Advertisers rely in this. You are a better and happier person if you own products x, y and z, and if you wear a particular thing. So, the first thing to recognize is that we are all subject to this influence. Anyone living in a city, or watching media, is bombarded with these messages. Insofar as acting on them is subliminal, there is nothing sinful or vain. When you cross the threshold to awareness, and realize that true self esteem, which is the expression of being made in the form of God comes from within, and from your spiritual acts, then the threshold is crossed.

We must live in the real world. I advocate dressing appropriately in ay situation. Including church.
Old Jun 13, '12, 9:04 am

Religion: Catholic - increasingly traditionalist

Quote:
Good for you what is wrong with that - I think most women (and men in their way) would say the same and as long as it's not showing off or saying you are better in any way than others surely it's good to make the world a better place.

I'm sure that anything which makes a woman more feminine and feel more feminine is also good in itself.
Old Jun 13, '12, 9:12 am
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via ICQ to Soldier Of God Send a message via MSN to Soldier Of God Send a message via Yahoo to Soldier Of God Send a message via Skype™ to Soldier Of God

Undue pride in one's appearance would be vanity. Dressing nicely and feeling good about it would not be necessarily vain. Dressing nicely to feel good is a different matter altogether.

Old Jun 13, '12, 9:16 am

Quote:
There seem to be plenty of biblical references that suggest a close connection to vanity:

Proverbs 31:30 - Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised.

Jeremiah 4:30 - And you, O desolate one, what do you mean that you dress in scarlet, that you adorn yourself with ornaments of gold, that you enlarge your eyes with paint? In vain you beautify yourself. Your lovers despise you; they seek your life.

1 Samuel 16:7 - But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.”

Galatians 5:16-17 - But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do.

There's also the passage from Matthew 6:28-33 that I'm sure you've heard before:

And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin, yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith! Do not worry then, saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear for clothing?’ For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

I realize that "clothing" in this context is probably referring to having any clothes at all, as opposed to having nothing. But I think the lesson is applicable to what you're really asking: "Is it ok to use clothing, makeup, jewelry to feel better about myself." To which (I believe) Christ would say, "Seek first my kingdom, and I'll help you feel better about yourself."
Old Jun 16, '12, 12:20 am

As with many other worldly issues, it seems that the action or interest itself (as in dressing up) is not sinful, but only when it exceeds its face value (no pun) and becomes something bigger than God to us or to others. For example, if we take some care to dress well, that is appropriate, but if our appearance becomes a more important issue to us than our virtues, than our sacrifical love, than our devotion to God, then it is sinful. It has become a "disordered affection" and now becomes a threat to our eventual salvation. So then it must be removed or at least reduced to its proper place. Certainly our current world views all these types of things/interests as far more importannt than they are, which is certainly the devil's goal - to distract us from pursuing heaven at all costs.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology