Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 16, '12, 6:42 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Catholic Health Association reverses course on mandate accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR-OCDS View Post
catharina

Remember the Bishops approved the AHC bill ?

Sister Keehan, being in the trenches of heath care, was ahead of the Bishops on this and of course she approved it, when it was first inacted.

As it is, I believe the administration is going to force the HHS Secretary to change the mandate, because of Sister Keehan.

1. Without her, the Bishops would end up with a costly lawsuit that they'll lose.

The listen to her because of her expertise. She's not just talking political rhetoric, but knows the field of health care law, which the Bishops and their counselors do not.

2. No she didn't. She became an advocate for people who have no health insurance but need health care. It's what Christ would have her do.

3. Please explain how sister Keehan is an impediment to the Faith, by being and advocate for the poor?

Rhetoric on Catholic political issues, isn't what helps the poor, but those who work in the service of them, like Sister Keehan.

Jim
1. Until NOW, she has served to BLOCK the bishops' appeal.
Oh goodie - she will cease and desist. Yippee?

2. I am poor, disabled and have no health insurance.
I have served the very poor for 40+ years.
In soliciting service of poor - ALWAYS - morality comes first.
It can NOT be an "oh - whatever - we'll work it out" thing.

3. Being a Catholic advocate for the poor requires
one keeping MORALITY in first place ALWAYS.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I find no moral fault in Carol's actions.
Who am I to judge her.
Undoubtedly she was heavily influenced by secular colleagues.

However - I can and do state that I am grateful she has finally
removed herself from a position that could damage both the
Church and her bishops. For that, I thank GOD.
Old Jun 16, '12, 7:43 pm

Religion: Follower of Christ,American Citizen
Default Re: Catholic Health Association reverses course on mandate accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miriam1947 View Post
Sister is giving Obama a way out. So he can backtrack and maybe avoid a decision by the Supremes.

I don't trust her. (This is my personal opinion only but, I am not overly fond of any nuns who are so political)
How do you feel about political Bishops? Ours sent a video to all the parishes telling us exactly how to vote on 2 amendments that will be on the ballot this year. I have no issues with teaching about what is in the amendments to make sure people understand them, but when you say "I am urging all Catholics to vote Yes" I feel like a line has been crossed.

Teach people the truth, put your energy there and leave the decision making to them. If you have done your job, the decisions will take care of themselves.
Old Jun 17, '12, 6:50 am
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic

catharina

Quote:
1. Until NOW, she has served to BLOCK the bishops' appeal.
How did she do that and what appeal are you referring to, the lawsuit? That's going forth without Sister's interference. She's actually working in parallel with it. Fact is, it's gonna get thrown out because the suit had to do with the mandate before the first accommodation so the court will probably won't even hear it.

Quote:
2. I am poor, disabled and have no health insurance.
I have served the very poor for 40+ years.
In soliciting service of poor - ALWAYS - morality comes first.
It can NOT be an "oh - whatever - we'll work it out" thing.
And how is Sister Keehan being immoral?

Quote:
3. Being a Catholic advocate for the poor requires
one keeping MORALITY in first place ALWAYS.
Again, please specify how Sister Keehan has been immoral while serving the poor?

Jim
Old Jun 17, '12, 7:04 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Abyssinia View Post
Agreed.

And it's about time.
Old Jun 17, '12, 7:25 am
Forum Elder

Why aren't Catholic owned businesses never mentioned?

"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is a thought of God."

“Science presupposes the trustworthy, intelligent structure of matter, the ‘design’ of creation.”

"A man of conscience, is one who never acquires tolerance, well- being, success, public standing, and approval on the part of prevailing opinion, at the expense of truth."
Pope Benedict XVI

Old Jun 17, '12, 7:29 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalo View Post
Very good question.
Old Jun 18, '12, 10:52 am
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic. Gender: Female

Catholic Health ’s proposal (about what a religious institution is) could make things worse, not better

http://wdtprs.com/blog/2012/06/catho...rse-not-better
Old Jun 18, '12, 12:17 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
catharina

How did she do that and what appeal are you referring to, the lawsuit? That's going forth without Sister's interference. She's actually working in parallel with it. Fact is, it's gonna get thrown out because the suit had to do with the mandate before the first accommodation so the court will probably won't even hear it.

And how is Sister Keehan being immoral?

Again, please specify how Sister Keehan has been immoral while serving the poor?

Jim
Sister's terrible choice of supporting obamacare
is completely immoral. Is she culpable? I have no
idea. Perhaps she is terribly naive.

I do know that obama's extremist positions re abortion
hev been well-documented AND newsworthy since 2002.
Old Jun 18, '12, 12:20 pm
Forum Elder

Course Correction: Sister Carol Keehan Now Opposes Obama 'Accommodation' for HHS Mandate

"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is a thought of God."

“Science presupposes the trustworthy, intelligent structure of matter, the ‘design’ of creation.”

"A man of conscience, is one who never acquires tolerance, well- being, success, public standing, and approval on the part of prevailing opinion, at the expense of truth."
Pope Benedict XVI

Old Jun 18, '12, 12:27 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
My opinion?
They are not Church-linked or Church-sponsored.
Old Jun 18, '12, 12:29 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by catharina View Post
My opinion?
They are not Church-linked or Church-sponsored.
I get that - however a Catholic business owner is still being forced to violate his conscience.

Pope Benedict XVI

Old Jun 18, '12, 12:31 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by catharina View Post
Sister's terrible choice of supporting obamacare
is completely immoral. Is she culpable? I have no
idea. Perhaps she is terribly naive.

I do know that obama's extremist positions re abortion
hev been well-documented AND newsworthy since 2002.
The Bishops supported Obama Care after he gave the executive order that would prohibit abortion funding.

The HHS mandate was a newer development, but even then, the Bishops were still trying to work through an accommodation.

Jim
Old Jun 18, '12, 12:36 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
I get that - however a Catholic business owner is still being forced to violate his conscience.
The Catholic Business owner will buy health insurance for his employees, who will pay part of the cost.

The coverage for contraception and such, would be paid for by the insurance company.

However, the HHS mandate accommodation failed to protect self-insured Catholic Hospitals, which is what the CHA revoked what was proposed.

My guess is the administration is going to have to step and and force HHS Secretary to come up with an acceptable accommodation, soon, before the election.

The HHS mandate was the dumbest political move the administration could've allowed to go forward.

My understanding is that there were strong debates over the issue between the President's staff and HHS Secretary.

Jim
Old Jun 18, '12, 12:45 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
The Catholic Business owner will buy health insurance for his employees, who will pay part of the cost.

The coverage for contraception and such, would be paid for by the insurance company.

However, the HHS mandate accommodation failed to protect self-insured Catholic Hospitals, which is what the CHA revoked what was proposed.

My guess is the administration is going to have to step and and force HHS Secretary to come up with an acceptable accommodation, soon, before the election.

The HHS mandate was the dumbest political move the administration could've allowed to go forward. Yes. Very true. Sister's alignment with obamacare (rather than a full and instaneous alignment with Bishops when they spoke) stood as an impediment to unity within the Church. That is, Sister's uninformed stand has made the situation much worse.

My understanding is that there were strong debates over the issue between the President's staff and HHS Secretary.

Jim
Old Jun 18, '12, 1:48 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic. Gender: Female

Quote:

The HHS mandate was the dumbest political move the administration could've allowed to go forward.

Jim
Regarding contraception, abortifacients and sterilisation, insurance company is not going to pay for services out of their own money without a return, they are a business. They will not be able to charge a deductible or co-pay for that coverage, so they will add the cost of those services to the standard premium everybody has to pay which means people who oppose those services for conscience reasons will also have to pay.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News