Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > Catholic Authors, Writes, Publishers Group

Catholic Authors, Writes, Publishers Group Click here to visit this social group

Old Jun 9, '12, 2:01 pm

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Skype™ to sobercatholic
Default Re: Introduce Yourselves Authors, and PLEASE promote your works, describe them etc

Hello, everybody. I have self-published 2 Catholic devotional books for alcoholics and addicts. The first one is entitled: "The Stations of the Cross for Alcoholics" and is available through Amazon, CreateSpace and Smashwords. Details can be found on my blog Page: http://www.sobercatholic.com/the-sta...or-alcoholics/ . To quote the description:

"The "Stations of the Cross for Alcoholics" is a book that is rooted in an ancient Catholic devotion. It is intended to assist Catholics and other Christians find deeper meaning in their struggles with alcoholism, by connecting the oftentimes hard road of sobriety with Jesus' suffering road to His Crucifixion. The reader sees that their old alcoholic 'self' is being led to the Cross and the joy of eventual resurrection of a new sober self can follow. Whether they are still drinking and struggling, or have been sober for many years and still have difficulties coping with sobriety, this book should help readers maintain that sobriety.

The second one is "The Recovery Rosary: Reflections for Alcoholics and Addicts," and is also available through Amazon, CreateSpace and Smashwords. As with the "Stations..." book, my blog's Page on it has details: http://www.sobercatholic.com/the-rec...s-and-addicts/ . From its description:

"“The Recovery Rosary: Reflections for Alcoholics and Addicts” helps people to reflect on their recovery and relationships with others, and ultimately with Jesus Himself. Whether people are still struggling with their addictions, or have been clean and sober for a few weeks, months, or years, the reflections will lead them to meditate on the spiritual growth they have achieved so far.

The book takes a time-honored prayer and brings it into a useful format for people to pause and reflect on their recovery, their relationships with others, and ultimately with Jesus Himself. Whether people are still struggling with their addictions, or have been clean and sober for a few weeks or months, or many years, the reflections for each Mystery of the Rosary will help them meditate on the spiritual growth they have achieved so far. Over the years, their thoughts on each meditation may change, depending on “where they’re at” in their recovery journey."
Old Jun 16, '12, 7:01 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Default Re: Introduce Yourselves Authors, and PLEASE promote your works, describe them etc

Hello SC, congratulations to you for your publications. I'd be grateful if you would comment more specifically on the process of self publishing. Advice to us, lessons learned, ideas about the process.
Old Jun 18, '12, 8:37 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Hi, for a long time I've read protestant published fiction and thought that was the only way I could go. They claim they want "nondenominational" but in reality is is "non-Catholic" because even if you present a historical, you can't have your characters identified as Catholic.

I'll admit I don't want to write what would be called literary....I like historical fiction and I enjoy a good love story, and I would love to see ones with Catholic characters. I am trying to get published, I'm working on a couple of historical fiction stories right now. I know at least one Catholic publisher open to fiction.

I am hoping to find someone willing to be a critique partner. As my faith is part of my everyday life, I hope my characters are that way too, but I'm not writing to preach or teach. I just want to write what I enjoy reading, a good story with moral characters who have a happy ending.

If anyone is willing to read and critique with me, I'm happy to do so in return. I hope to get published some day.

Right now my works in progress are:
10th Century Anglo-Saxon and the other set in the French Revolution.

You'll have to pm me for more detail than that--I am not sharing publicly
Old Aug 31, '12, 11:42 am

Religion: Roman Catholic (revert!)

This is the first I've written here and I appreciate the chance to share things about writing with fellow Catholics.

To save time, please look at my public profile

I use my lunch breaks at work to research my faith, participate in the CAF, and write.

I hope this doesnt offend anyone, but currently I'm practicing my writing by posting pages on the ZombieWiki site. I've gotten some good responses to the quality of my writing, macabre as the subject some may find it---I just don't take it seriously, other than a thought exercise.
Old Apr 14, '13, 10:49 am
Observing Member

Religion: catholic

Introducing myself. Been writing since '68. Published one short. Did TV and Radio scripting, produced a therapist manual, news letters, a syndicated column and lottsa' in-house stuff for various jobs.

Getting ready to do final passes on a novel, getting it ready for my Betas. Need a good free pro editor, but, ya' know, there are tons of them out there so it oughta' be a snap. Right? No? Ah, well.

The story is Science Fiction. Space opera. Catholic Space Opera, so there oughta' be a great huge market for that! No? Oh, well. But, that is the story so that is what I wrote.

It is the story of two guys who are like park rangers for the solar system who serve a progressively dystopian government in which it is becoming more and more difficult to tell right from wrong and why that matters.

I mean, Catholic publishers are gonna' line up to sign on for that one! No? So, I'm thinkin' then like Smashwords and amazon.

Yeah, probably that.

pb
Old Apr 25, '13, 10:33 am

Send a message via Skype™ to brandymmiller
Talking How to Write an eBook in 40 Days (or Less)

Just wanted to let you guys know that since I last popped up, I have learned a LOT about the digital publishing world. I have actually got my book, How to Write an eBook in 40 Days (or less) up for free now through April 27th, 2013 in the amazon kindle store. Here's the link http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00APO9P0C

Please download this, tweet this, share this with friends on Facebook. I don't get paid for these downloads but it does actually help promote my book even after the free days are finished. Every person who downloads that book, Amazon will link my book with all of the other books they've ever purchased so when one of those books comes up it recommends my book in the "This customer also bought..." section,, getting my name and my title in front of more places and spaces.
http://brandy-miller.blogspot.com
Old Nov 30, '13, 11:40 am
Trial Membership

I enjoy writing teen/young adult Catholic fiction. My novels touch on the subjects of relics and saints, courtship vs. dating, abortion and the sanctity of human life, the spiritual battle we each face, purgatory, loneliness, true freedom, forgiveness and mercy.

I decided to give self-publishing a try and published my most recent novel, a dystopian fiction, Chasing Liberty with Kindle. The first few chapters are free to read. The book is also free to borrow if you belong to Kindle's lending library.

http://www.amazon.com/Chasing-Libert...liberty+linden

Chasing Liberty
Liberty 554-062466-84 of Aldonia lives in a responsible society that cares for the earth and everyone on it. Resource consumption is balanced with replacement initiatives, unavoidable pollution with clean-environment efforts. Science ensures that every baby born is healthy. The government ensures that every baby born is needed. All are cared for, taught, and given a specific duty to perform, their unique contribution to society. Why is Liberty so unsatisfied?

In less than two weeks, Liberty must begin her vocation. Every girl in Aldonia wishes she had her vocation. She would rather flee from Aldonia and live on her own, independent of the all-controlling government, the Regimen Custodia Terra. The high electrical Boundary Fence crushes any thought of escape. The ID implant imbedded in her hand makes it impossible for her to hide. She has no choice but to submit. Liberty is slated to be a Breeder.

As the day draws near, Liberty is attacked and injected with a drug. She is about to lose consciousness when someone comes to her rescue, a man in a mottled cape and dark glasses. She wakes in an underground facility where a mysterious group watches over Aldonia with an array of monitors and surveillance equipment. These people are full of secrets, but Liberty discovers one thing: they rescue a man scheduled for re-education. They rescued him. They can rescue her.

Set in the not-so-distant future, Chasing Liberty is about a young woman who wants to choose what to do with her life, instead of being told by the government. The novel explores the loss the individual faces when government is allowed to grow too big and reach too far. The traditional family is nonexistent. Human life loses value. The earth is elevated above man.

Please check it out. Thanks!
Old Nov 30, '13, 7:09 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic loyal to the Pope, don't even try to change me!

Theresalinden,

I glanced at the opening chapters of Chasing Liberty.
The situations are alien to anything most people experience. For example, Liberty and friends enter a bomb shelter. I think young adults would find it hard to relate to that. I think they will be lost by page five.
Why not have Liberty and her friends walk through town and show us what the place looks like? Maybe have them do some unimportant activities just to show what kind of lifestyle they have and what kind of personalities they have?
Also, what country is this? How does this society run?

In Empress Theresa, Theresa's life at age ten is described in the first chapter. In chapter two she is in high school. In chapter three she's at Boston College. The action doesn't begin until chapter four, and it isn't until chapter seven that we get a hint about what she is going to do in the story.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > Catholic Authors, Writes, Publishers Group