Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 12, '12, 8:58 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic Newcomer
Default Has anyone read Rediscover Catholicism by Matthew Kelly

At Sunday Mass, my priest gave a homily on evangelization and announced that everybody should pick up a free copy of Rediscover Catholicism before they left- which I did. I never knew my Church had a reading club.

Has anybody read it? From what I heard, the author published a book on prayer when he was only 19 years old. My spiritual life has been kinda low lately and I'm only a new covert. I've been thumbing it through to look for some advice. The writing is simple but I like it do far. He started off with a short story to illustrate Christ's dying on the Cross for the salvation of the world and I found it rather moving.

Humilitas
— Pope John Paul I and Pope Benedict XVI
Old Jun 12, '12, 9:52 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Has anyone read Rediscover Catholicism by Matthew Kelly

I read it last December. Just gobbled it up. I'm not the greatest Catholic in the world, so the book shook me enough to re-introduce myself to the basics of my faith. I liked the challenge of the book: each one of us is called to sainthood. I might try reading Kelly's other books, too.
Old Jun 12, '12, 11:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by onjac View Post
At Sunday Mass, my priest gave a homily on evangelization and announced that everybody should pick up a free copy of Rediscover Catholicism before they left- which I did. I never knew my Church had a reading club.

Has anybody read it? From what I heard, the author published a book on prayer when he was only 19 years old. My spiritual life has been kinda low lately and I'm only a new covert. I've been thumbing it through to look for some advice. The writing is simple but I like it do far. He started off with a short story to illustrate Christ's dying on the Cross for the salvation of the world and I found it rather moving.
My Parish Deacon (also my Godfather) gave me a copy of this to read and I went out and bought it right away. It is paramount to me (along with many others) in what I pray to be my formation period leading up to the Seminary. I strongly encourage you to pick up a copy if it is available to you. It is a fantastic read and will fire you up for the Church again if you feel your spiritual life slacking.
Old Jun 13, '12, 2:12 am

Send a message via Skype™ to Canuck000

This is interesting. I have been reading, researching everything Catholic this past year or so. I had finally made my decision to pray for answers. This is all in regards to becoming Catholic. My husband is Catholic. I made the choice at last, announced this to my husband, whom is totally thrilled. I finally made the call to attend inquiry at the local basilica. Feeling very much relieved and continuing to pray for guidance now. I went to the hairdresser a week or so after my decision, and we discussed my decision, and prayed together. Then she went to her bag and pulled out this book and gave it to me. I have read it and reread it. It makes so much sense. My husband has ordered several copies also. I am so studying and reading everything I can now, but this was the first Catholic book given to me.
Old Jun 13, '12, 4:00 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic Revert

It is a very fine book. As you say it is "simply" written.
This is not a "deep" study of Catholicism. Rather, it is a book of common sense and encouragement written for "the average person in the pew."

Peace
James

The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old Jun 13, '12, 11:31 am

Religion: Catholic

My husband is reading it now and really likes it. He is a convert and it is giving him a new perspective of being Catholic. A VERY generous parishoner donated enough copies to the parish for each family to take one home for free. I plan on passing it on when we are done with it.
Old Jun 15, '12, 5:00 pm

As folks have said this is a simple straightforward boo. I read it and liked it.

However! I have one nit. Mr. Kelly's main thesis is "God wants you to be the very best version of yourself that you can be."

Nope. God wants me to be the very best version of JESUS that I can be!

But maybe that refinement is for later books...
Old Jun 19, '12, 9:20 am

I've read it a few times and it's a great book. The best part to me was about confession and how so many people don't appreciate the beauty of the sacrament. This book is what has given me a love and appreciation for confession.

InternetWoman, I have to clarify one thing on the book: in one of his other books, he talks about the "best version of yourself" concept and states that a lot of people can't wrap their heads around the "best" (i.e., when have I become "the best"?), so he kind of refines it toward the "better" version.
Old Jun 19, '12, 11:17 am

Religion: catholic

We gave it out free to all in our parish during Lent. It went over very well. The priests even spoke about it in their homilies. We also gave it to our RCIA candidates. Can't recommend it enough.
Old Jun 22, '12, 3:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Girl View Post
InternetWoman, I have to clarify one thing on the book: in one of his other books, he talks about the "best version of yourself" concept and states that a lot of people can't wrap their heads around the "best" (i.e., when have I become "the best"?), so he kind of refines it toward the "better" version.
Best or better I still say our focus should be on emulating JESUS.
Old Aug 12, '12, 7:43 pm

Our church is doing a 4 week study using this book. It starts mid Sept. I have my book already and have read 3 chapters tonight!

I'm hoping that we have many participants. Usually we have the same 12-15 people in these "bible study/lent" activities. Our parish is over 1,000 registered FAMILIES!
Old Aug 14, '12, 7:27 am

Read it. Decided to convert. Did not consider myself a Christian at the time. I was Buddhist.

http://convertconvent.blogspot.com
Old Nov 6, '12, 1:05 pm
Observing Member

This book seems very simple and straightforward at first. It does have a great message: living an authentic life the way Jesus wants us to.

I would say that it is irresponsible to suggest this book to parishioners. There are small interjections in the text that suggest communism and seek to degrade the democratic system as a whole. I personally think that the author is seeking to make a utilitarian government that values the whole over individuals.

I would be very wary myself of a person who propagates ideas intended to abolish individual rights.

Many of you may read this one way, but I see it as an irresponsible interjection intended to alter a person's opinions. I think its terrible to include this in a religious book for Catholics.

Individualism is what makes this country great. When a nation gives rights to the individual then everyone has rights to succeed. When we start caring about the whole and neglect individuals, that is when problems arise.

Examples of this utilitarian outlook can be seen throughout history: Bosnia, Iraq, Nazi Germany, Cambodia, Darfur and dozens more examples.

I think people should be warned before reading this and Churches should immediately stop distribution of this text. It needs to be stopped.
Old Dec 19, '12, 12:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofJesus View Post
This book seems very simple and straightforward at first. It does have a great message: living an authentic life the way Jesus wants us to.

I would say that it is irresponsible to suggest this book to parishioners.
I agree with KnightsofJesus on it having a good intent, but that it needs to be stopped. I'm a former Evangelical Calvinist / Baptist mutt that grew up reading books that use negativity and words that feel like we're in a crisis to mask the reader from critically thinking about the message. Matthew Kelly is constantly ripping our modern culture apart like it's a disease that needs to be eradicated. Then without citing any references he makes wild accusations about our out of control sinful habits that are plunging us into despair... etc... and so on. He all but calls everyone in modern culture (except possibly a few thousand) lazy unholy people, but then boldly steps in to offer us HIS VERSION of holiness, which is the Army motto "be all you can be" just like Michael Jordan and Bill Gates and Mother Teresa.

Personally, I think what Matthew Kelly teaches Marthin Luther's and John Calvin's theology and he should be reviewed by our higher church leaders to ensure that we as a Church are not embracing heresy. Plus, shouldn't we focus on the Sacraments as the pillars of our faith?? maybe Matthew Kelly should have said "disciplines" instead of pillars.

I'm newly converted to Catholicism mainly due to the deeply philosophical and rich theological foundation of our Church. If I would have read Matthew Kelly's book on Catholicism, then I would have written Catholicism off as just another brow beating "christian denomination" that will create an imaginary crisis about the state of humanity to motivate people to behave relative to the brow beater's opinion (ie John Calvin himself).

I wouldn't be writing this review if our Church leaders were not promoting this as the best representation of Catholicism and the shining light that will lead us into a new heavenly earth. I predict that this book will be completely forgotten in 2-3 years as it's a fad (ie. Purpose Driven Life). This is nothing new.
Old Dec 19, '12, 1:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetWoman View Post
As folks have said this is a simple straightforward boo. I read it and liked it.

However! I have one nit. Mr. Kelly's main thesis is "God wants you to be the very best version of yourself that you can be."

Nope. God wants me to be the very best version of JESUS that I can be!

But maybe that refinement is for later books...
Maybe he was trying too hard to appeal to the Joel Osteen crowd? I like your re-statement much better!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media