Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 15, '12, 8:29 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Online Catholice University

Hi, after a majority of my life avoiding it, I'm finally going to pursue a Theology degree. I will not be attending the seminary, as Im married with three kids, but would like to be as close to being a priest as possible.
My question is, can anyone recommend a good school online? So far Im looking at a couple but have no experience in choosing this type of school.
Old Jun 15, '12, 9:43 pm

Religion: Evangelical Catholic
Default Re: Online Catholic University

I don't know of any myself, but I will say that you, as father and husband, have a ministerial role that is key in your home. Be the head of your household as Christ is head of the Church.
Old Jun 16, '12, 11:13 pm
Forum Elder

Default Re: Online Catholice University

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsivanish View Post
Hi, after a majority of my life avoiding it, I'm finally going to pursue a Theology degree. I will not be attending the seminary, as Im married with three kids, but would like to be as close to being a priest as possible.
If you are married, but wish to become as close to a priest as possible, wouldn't it be wise to look into becoming a deacon? After all, being a deacon means you would receive the sacrament of Holy Orders. You would no longer be a layman, and would be able to perform many of the functions of a priest.

Have you inquired with your diocese about the process of becoming a deacon?
Old Jun 18, '12, 3:40 am

Religion: catholic

What do you mean by being "as close to a priest as possible?" Do you want to be as educated in theology as they are or do you want to engage in ministry?
Old Jun 20, '12, 7:59 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

I am also considering an on-line theology degree, simply for the purpose of personal development. There is so much to learn about our Catholic faith and Scripture!

I have a Bachelor of Arts Degree and a Juris Doctor, so I'm uncertain whether I want to obtain another Bachelor's Degree or a Masters. There are many on-line schools available - I identified several possibilities through the website for the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops: http://old.usccb.org/laity/laysurvey/schools.shtml Check it out!
Old Jun 23, '12, 6:40 pm
Banned

Quote:
My question is, can anyone recommend a good school online? So far Im looking at a couple but have no experience in choosing this type of school.
What inspires you to become "as close to being a priest as possible"?
Old Jun 25, '12, 5:12 am

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_M View Post
If you are married, but wish to become as close to a priest as possible, wouldn't it be wise to look into becoming a deacon? After all, being a deacon means you would receive the sacrament of Holy Orders. You would no longer be a layman, and would be able to perform many of the functions of a priest.

Have you inquired with your diocese about the process of becoming a deacon?
Pursuing the diaconate is not a viable option when the intent is to be an "almost priest." This is not what the diaconate is. It is a calling to a ministry of Christ the Servant. It is a true calling to service not priestly appearance or privileges. It is not a consolation prize; it is not a "priest light".

Dale, I am sure this is not exactly what you meant but we need to really be careful how the diaconate is portrayed. In my experience we deacons can at times give the faithful a false sense of the diaconate. I have had several young men talk with me about a vocation. I work in youth ministry, mostly in the parish and diocese and juvenile detention centers. When the conversation comes to, "Well I want to be married; I'll just be a deacon." This has happened to me several times and I immediately attempt to help them understand why that line of thinking is not good.

Everything needs to be focused on the office of priest and in a very distinct way the office of deacon. They are very different and a good deacon can elevate the effectiveness of the priest he serves with in many ways but he is not the priest. Remember, we need the priests, we don't need deacons. They can be very beneficial to the parish but not as important as a good father for children, husband to a wife, or a good pastor for the Church family.

This is my advice I give young men who tell me they want to be a deacon when they are only 15 years old, go be a teen and enjoy your youth. Keep connected in youth groups, retreats, the sacraments, develop an adult prayer life, and most of all, be a kid! If the person is a young married man, I've advised them to wait until 35 (this is the minimum age for ordination to the permanent diaconate.) at least before pursuing this, but first and foremost, learn how to be a good husband and father first! Then pray and discern with a spiritual director to see whether you are called to diaconate ordination. There is nothing else on the table, there is nothing called the priestlitehood.

As to the OP's message, I too would like to find a good online Catholic university opportunities to better my knowlege and better my ability to serve as husband, father, and deacon.
Old Jun 26, '12, 4:43 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
The University of Dayton has on-line courses, not for a Theology degree but for (6) different certificate programs, such as Adult Formation and Youth Ministry. I have taken (9) of the courses so far, I have enjoyed them and I have enjoyed learning more about our faith.

DGB
Old Jun 27, '12, 12:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalrest View Post
What inspires you to become "as close to being a priest as possible"?
Thanks for everyones responses.
To answer this question, though Ive always wanted to say the Mass, and after reading about Padre Pio, Ive wanted to hear confession and give reconciliation.
However, I will go where Im sent and do whatever it is for me to do.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations