Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 6, '12, 7:03 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: College costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCatholic View Post
Remember, student loans are slavery. This is $172,000 worth of slavery.
No one is forcing a student to take out loans - it's not slavery. Maybe highway robbery, but not slavery. Let's not resort to ridiculous levels of rhetoric in support of a point.
Old Jul 7, '12, 10:37 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJuliane View Post
No one is forcing a student to take out loans - it's not slavery. Maybe highway robbery, but not slavery. Let's not resort to ridiculous levels of rhetoric in support of a point.
So now you're saying that the Bible is using ridiculous levels of rhetoric in support of a point?

Old Jul 8, '12, 10:05 pm
Banned

Religion: Lutheran in RCIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdscheirer View Post
Help please- daughter just got accepted to Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) for art photograhphy etc. It's one of the best known colleges for the artsy crowd, I'm a scientist. They do teach business to them so the graduates have some idea how to manage money. My wife and I make about 100,000 a year-school costs 50,000 a year -she got a 7,000 schalarship. how do we come up with the 43,000 each year?
Please don't do it! I beg of you and your child!!!

Too many of our youths are saddled with debt and worthless degrees because they don't think about after-college and parents don't know the word "No"

If you really want your daughter to learn how to manage money then show her the nearest McDonald's and tell her that is her future and she will have to pay the $100,000 in student loan debt making $7.50 an hour.

I am serious I have never met an art student who was successful. Not everyone is a Pacasso...please for the sake of your daughter's future and for the sake of yours...because if you co-sign on that $100,000 student loan YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!

DO NOT LET YOUR CHILD MAJOR IN ART

I am deadly serious and passionate about this. I have seen too many kids be driven to poverty and indentured servitude (cannot clear student loans in bankruptcy) and parent's finances and retirement wrecked and ruined because of these worthless schools and their worthless degrees. There's a book that I am willing to buy for you and your daughter and ship it to you with me paying the S&H, if that's what it will take to keep you and your daughter from making this horrible decision.
Old Jul 9, '12, 6:36 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by austenbosten View Post
Please don't do it! I beg of you and your child!!!

. . .

I am serious I have never met an art student who was successful. Not everyone is a Pacasso...please for the sake of your daughter's future and for the sake of yours...because if you co-sign on that $100,000 student loan YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!

. . .

I am deadly serious and passionate about this. I have seen too many kids be driven to poverty and indentured servitude (cannot clear student loans in bankruptcy) and parent's finances and retirement wrecked and ruined because of these worthless schools and their worthless degrees. There's a book that I am willing to buy for you and your daughter and ship it to you with me paying the S&H, if that's what it will take to keep you and your daughter from making this horrible decision.
Totally agree with this.

I'll spare the story about my own useless degree and the problems it caused me and get right to the parent issue.

Please, do not risk your finances paying for a child's education, especially not for someone majoring in art.

That's not just my opinion. All the personal finance experts will say that you should put saving for your own retirement *first* and not jeopardize that by borrowing for your children's education.

I know it's difficult. You want your daughter to "follow her dreams" and you don't want to feel that you're "letting her down." But, you've got to recognize the reality.

And there's probably peer pressure. She's probably got friends who think it's so-o-o neat that she got into one of the "best" art schools. Trouble is, those friends won't be there to help her when she's trying to support herself and earn a living.

And, just to get this out of the way, try to encourage her not to major in art.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014